Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: new reviews on 2021 North Orbits?

Postby edt » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:31 am

The orbit feels much more nimble and lighter than other 5 strut kites. Maybe it is lighter I don't know how much those kites weight. The edge is no fun feels like a tank in the air. I agree 7m kites are all fast. The new orbit didn't feel like it over flew like the old one did. The 2020 orbit is no good you want at least 2021 probably even 2022. They also improved the rebel in 2021 I would not get a 2020 there either. If you like that velocity why not get a 2020 in that. Otherwise you should definitely demo if you have the chance so you don't get stuck with a kite that flies poorly.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:31 am

RasmusP wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:15 pm
Hey guys, it's me again.. I could finally demo the Orbit a second time, sadly only the 12m again.
Loving the kite but I got one question, since my slingshot raptor has the following issue:
Is the middle of the leading edge staying put on the ground in strong winds?
With the Raptor, the middle of the leading edge is slightly pulled up by the pushed down struts (about 5cm), while the structure is "bent".
The kite is basically "hopping like on springs" and although it's only 5cm, you have to constantly keep an eye on the Raptor and have a board or sandbags on it.
You can't leave it for one second in more than 25 knots.

While all other Kites at the spot are staying put without any issues, the Raptor wants to bounce backwards...

So what's your experience with the Orbit? Is it staying put?
Ofc you need to secure the kite in 30+ knots. I'm only talking about "in comparison to the average kite".

Thanks in advance for your feedbacks!
I rarely put anything on top of my Orbits. If it's over 30kn, I'll chuck my board under it so a strap sits just behind the leading edge. Over 40kn and I'll put some sand on it with the board under it. There's no lifting; it slides backwards on the sand, depending on how grippy the sand is.
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post:
RasmusP (Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:53 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:11 am

lizards wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:16 am
Can someone explain to me a bit about what makes the orbit different from other 5 strut boosting kites such as the edge, xr, or rebel? I am looking to replace an old 7m cabrinha velocity which is also a high aspect 5 strut boosting kite.
I keep reading about how the orbit is best suited to more experienced kiters. Other than the front stall tendency, all the kites I just mentioned work great for beginners. Is the orbits frontstall tendancy much greater than those kites?
Also the other 5 strut kites I mentioned are known to be slow but people talk about the orbit being a fast kite? What is different about its design that makes that the case?
Since I am replacing a 7m kite and all 7m kites are zippy and fast, I’m not sure I want a kite that is known for overflying easily. There are some pretty tempting deals out there on 2020 orbits which is why I’m considering it.
Rebel/XR/Edge vs Orbit:
Simply put, the first three are all high aspect boosting/hangtime kites. They trade turning speed and handling for lifting power. The Orbit is a medium aspect design that compromises lifting for turning. It will still jump almost as high as the others, but it does require a bit of skill to make the most of it.

Orbit Front Stall Tendency:
The others do front stall from time to time as well, but the Orbit is much worse. The 2021 bridle change fixed the worst of the front stall to make it much more user friendly. It's still not a beginner kite, but it's much more accessible to the vast majority of the market.

What makes the Orbit fast?
No idea. I'm not a kite designer.

2020 Orbit deals:
Buy the 2020 and then buy a 2021 bridle. Poof! You have a 2021 Orbit with more dacron and a different colour scheme.
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post (total 2):
Havre (Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:26 am) • edt (Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:02 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Havre » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:30 am

It will be quite interesting to see how SLS might change the Rebel.

A slightly more "agile" Rebel would be quite amazing for us heavy riders without pro skills.

dewwy
Medium Poster
Style: Freestyle/Wakestyle
Gear: -

Postby dewwy » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:11 am

Blackened wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:11 am
2020 Orbit deals:
Buy the 2020 and then buy a 2021 bridle. Poof! You have a 2021 Orbit with more dacron and a different colour scheme.
Have you tried this yourself?
I want to hand down my old kites to a friend. But i don't want him to have to learn on a 12qm 2020 Orbit.
Especially since it really tends to fall out of the sky in lighter winds if it's not flown actively. The bridle won't fix the weight, but hopefully the tendency to frontstall so easy.

RasmusP
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 90kg
Local Beach: Northern Germany
Gear: Raptor '20 9m, Edge v10 11m, Pivot '19 12m, Zephyr v5 17m

Postby RasmusP » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:56 am

Blackened wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:31 am
RasmusP wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:15 pm
Hey guys, it's me again.. I could finally demo the Orbit a second time, sadly only the 12m again.
Loving the kite but I got one question, since my slingshot raptor has the following issue:
Is the middle of the leading edge staying put on the ground in strong winds?
With the Raptor, the middle of the leading edge is slightly pulled up by the pushed down struts (about 5cm), while the structure is "bent".
The kite is basically "hopping like on springs" and although it's only 5cm, you have to constantly keep an eye on the Raptor and have a board or sandbags on it.
You can't leave it for one second in more than 25 knots.

While all other Kites at the spot are staying put without any issues, the Raptor wants to bounce backwards...

So what's your experience with the Orbit? Is it staying put?
Ofc you need to secure the kite in 30+ knots. I'm only talking about "in comparison to the average kite".

Thanks in advance for your feedbacks!
I rarely put anything on top of my Orbits. If it's over 30kn, I'll chuck my board under it so a strap sits just behind the leading edge. Over 40kn and I'll put some sand on it with the board under it. There's no lifting; it slides backwards on the sand, depending on how grippy the sand is.
Thanks man! Just ordered what's probably the last available green 10m '21 Orbit in Germany or even Europe.
Weekend is looking like 3 days of 20-35 knots.
Can't wait to throw some small loops with it!

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:43 pm

Blackened wrote:
lizards wrote:
Can someone explain to me a bit about what makes the orbit different from other 5 strut boosting kites such as the edge, xr, or rebel? I am looking to replace an old 7m cabrinha velocity which is also a high aspect 5 strut boosting kite.
I keep reading about how the orbit is best suited to more experienced kiters. Other than the front stall tendency, all the kites I just mentioned work great for beginners. Is the orbits frontstall tendancy much greater than those kites?
Also the other 5 strut kites I mentioned are known to be slow but people talk about the orbit being a fast kite? What is different about its design that makes that the case?
Since I am replacing a 7m kite and all 7m kites are zippy and fast, I’m not sure I want a kite that is known for overflying easily. There are some pretty tempting deals out there on 2020 orbits which is why I’m considering it.

I can answer that (though I'm not a kite designer either). More kite canopy area at the tips of the kite. The XR7 is the most pointy. Then the Rebel. The Orbit is least pointy.

Its a simplified explanation but as a general rule, the turning area of the kite is the bottom third by the tips. More canopy area in the turning section = more turning force = quicker turning.
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
Blackened (Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:06 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:05 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:43 pm
Blackened wrote:
lizards wrote:

I can answer that (though I'm not a kite designer either). More kite canopy area at the tips of the kite. The XR7 is the most pointy. Then the Rebel. The Orbit is least pointy.

Its a simplified explanation but as a general rule, the turning area of the kite is the bottom third by the tips. More canopy area in the turning section = more turning force = quicker turning.
It would be cool to know what happens with the XR if you expand the tip. It turns into a GTS?

RasmusP
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 90kg
Local Beach: Northern Germany
Gear: Raptor '20 9m, Edge v10 11m, Pivot '19 12m, Zephyr v5 17m

Postby RasmusP » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:26 pm

Havre wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:05 pm

It would be cool to know what happens with the XR if you expand the tip. It turns into a GTS?
Probably rather a Duotone Evo or Cabrinha Switchblade. It's a lot more complex than just making the tips bigger but overall, yeah.. It would turn quicker!

PusherII
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ostia beach
Favorite Beaches: El Portillo, Las Terranas
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Core XR5

Postby PusherII » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:41 pm

Tried edge 2021, i didn't find them slow as an XR.
I actually liked a lot, semi light bar pressure, decent speed.

Return to “Kitesurfing”