Re: Apple Watch Apps compared for Freeriding

Postby Kitemenn » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:56 pm

aleks wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:14 pm
aleks wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:42 pm
Kitemenn wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:25 am
Yes exactly in the fitness app. I know Apple does it weird but would be great to see distance instead of duration. I already think it is awesome you were able to display the GPS route on the map (this is not even showing when using the running mode in workouts)
I found out what makes Fitness app display Distance. It is not documented anywhere, so I had to use trial and error method. The problem is that adding distance is only possible with manual Workout creation (as opposed to somewhat automatic recording that Apple themselves recommend). I'll try to do it, we'll see how it works out. This only affects how the workout is displayed in Fitness app though - WOO app will already have the distance without this modification.
Unfortunatelly I had to undo the change to display distance in the Fitness app - it is back to the "Apple's standard" time display (coming with the next WOO watch app update). The change is due to a few users missing GPS track while app re-created a session with added distance. Since WOO integration is done, hopefully you won't miss the distance in Fitness app too much - it is always available in WOO app on the phone now.
It's too bad, but it is what it is. While talking about this distance...how can I have way more total distance on WOO compared to my app on the phone. For example last run WOO said total distance of 59.37KM (on AW) / 59.18 (in WOO app) while phone app (different app) was saying 34.21KM thats a significant difference.

aleks
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: RDB, Elf
Brand Affiliation: WOO, RDB, Elf

Postby aleks » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:59 pm

Kitemenn wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:56 pm
It's too bad, but it is what it is. While talking about this distance...how can I have way more total distance on WOO compared to my app on the phone. For example last run WOO said total distance of 59.37KM (on AW) / 59.18 (in WOO app) while phone app (different app) was saying 34.21KM thats a significant difference.
Looks like 59.37KM (on AW) / 59.18 (in WOO app) is more consistent than 34.21KM from your other phone app.

Usually the apps calculate distance based on GPS points in the track. The algorithms on different platforms can be slightly different - some platforms have built in functions for calculating distance between 2 coordinates, some need custom functions. The difference is probably coming from there. But in case of your "other" phone app, it might be doing something else entirely - who knows.

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:23 am

aleks wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:59 pm
Kitemenn wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:56 pm
Looks like 59.37KM (on AW) / 59.18 (in WOO app) is more consistent than 34.21KM from your other phone app.

Usually the apps calculate distance based on GPS points in the track. The algorithms on different platforms can be slightly different - some platforms have built in functions for calculating distance between 2 coordinates, some need custom functions. The difference is probably coming from there. But in case of your "other" phone app, it might be doing something else entirely - who knows.
However how can WOO and AW be different if they use the same data? WOO wasn't using the phone modus so could only rely on the AW still there is this difference, can this be addressed to the point where I stopped the WOO and when i stopped the AW?

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:37 pm

Kitemenn wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:23 am
However how can WOO and AW be different if they use the same data? WOO wasn't using the phone modus so could only rely on the AW still there is this difference, can this be addressed to the point where I stopped the WOO and when i stopped the AW?
The distance you see now in the Fitness app is calculated by the watch app by adding distance between all GPS points. Apple has a function that calculates distance between 2 coordinates, but algorithm of that function is not disclosed.

WOO does the same thing on the server side, but since they can't replicate Apple function exactly (mainly because it is not disclosed), there is a small difference in the resulting distance.
These users thanked the author aleks for the post:
Kitemenn (Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:40 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:55 pm

Kitemenn wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:30 pm
Hi Aleks, I like your progress and help on these apps tremendously. While using your app on apple watch lately I was thinking would it maybe be possible to indicate if you jumped a record (in your session) by for example vibrating 3 times instead of just one. I often wear my watch under my wetsuit and this would help estimating whether I am improving my previous jumps or not. Maybe you can set it at a certain threshold or something so only from 6m it starts giving you that signal...just a thought
Moved conversation here (since it is about Apple Watch).
aleks wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:40 pm
On Apple Watch the vibration and sound for the best jump are different too, but the difference is more subtle (I use standard Apple notifications patterns). I wanted to do 3 vibrations, but that required to implement some advanced haptic feedback patters. Perhaps I should revisit it and implement more distinctive vibrations. Thanks for the suggestion! :thumb:
I went to make the change and remembered why it wasn't done in the first place - Haptic engine is not available for WatchOS development :( . There are just a few standard vibrations (coupled with sound) available on Apple Watch. I did a workaround though - now for the new best jump the app will play one of the vibrations 3 times in a row (with short interval). I chose one of the strongest vibration patterns available. This will be available with the next app update (in the coming weeks).

Also, few other exiting features are coming to Apple Watch soon. Always On display is now available to 3rd party apps (I was waiting for this one for a while :) ). It makes a huge difference in usability (in my opinion). It works only in WatchOS 8 though, so if you didn't upgrade yet, time to do it now. Always on available on AW Series 5 or higher only.

Another feature is Auto-save on low watch battery. This will help to prevent session loss due to watch out of battery shutdown (few users had an issue with this).
These users thanked the author aleks for the post (total 2):
Kitemenn (Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:50 pm) • WOO Worlds (Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:44 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:50 pm

aleks wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:55 pm
Kitemenn wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:30 pm
Hi Aleks, I like your progress and help on these apps tremendously. While using your app on apple watch lately I was thinking would it maybe be possible to indicate if you jumped a record (in your session) by for example vibrating 3 times instead of just one. I often wear my watch under my wetsuit and this would help estimating whether I am improving my previous jumps or not. Maybe you can set it at a certain threshold or something so only from 6m it starts giving you that signal...just a thought
Moved conversation here (since it is about Apple Watch).
aleks wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:40 pm
On Apple Watch the vibration and sound for the best jump are different too, but the difference is more subtle (I use standard Apple notifications patterns). I wanted to do 3 vibrations, but that required to implement some advanced haptic feedback patters. Perhaps I should revisit it and implement more distinctive vibrations. Thanks for the suggestion! :thumb:
I went to make the change and remembered why it wasn't done in the first place - Haptic engine is not available for WatchOS development :( . There are just a few standard vibrations (coupled with sound) available on Apple Watch. I did a workaround though - now for the new best jump the app will play one of the vibrations 3 times in a row (with short interval). I chose one of the strongest vibration patterns available. This will be available with the next app update (in the coming weeks).

Also, few other exiting features are coming to Apple Watch soon. Always On display is now available to 3rd party apps (I was waiting for this one for a while :) ). It makes a huge difference in usability (in my opinion). It works only in WatchOS 8 though, so if you didn't upgrade yet, time to do it now. Always on available on AW Series 5 or higher only.

Another feature is Auto-save on low watch battery. This will help to prevent session loss due to watch out of battery shutdown (few users had an issue with this).
Amazing Aleks as always you are the best! Looking forward to the update. :thumb:

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby junebug » Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:13 pm

I just downloaded the Woo app to my Apple Watch. It looks like you still need to buy the Woo device separately to measure jump height. Am I missing something?

If no, are there any current free apps out there for Apple Watch that measure jump height?

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:19 pm

junebug wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:13 pm
I just downloaded the Woo app to my Apple Watch. It looks like you still need to buy the Woo device separately to measure jump height. Am I missing something?

If no, are there any current free apps out there for Apple Watch that measure jump height?
You indeed need the Woo itself for hights measuring.

Return to “Kitesurfing”