Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Can You Learn Kiteloops Without Getting Injured?

Forum for kitesurfers
TimG
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 170
Local Beach: Houston
Style: Big Air
Gear: Rebel, monarch
Brand Affiliation: None

Can You Learn Kiteloops Without Getting Injured?

Postby TimG » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:25 pm

Hey everyone,

I’m just reaching out here to see what the general consensus is. I’ve been starting to consider doing kite loops above 10 feet, but of the 2 people I know that have gotten into higher kiteloops, both got injured quickly during the learning process. One tore an MCL due to a bad landing and the other broke his ribs due to impact. Both of them had just started to learn kiteloops, and we’re able to lend the majority of the ones they attempted.

So with that being said, from the people I know, there is a 100% injury rate for learning 10+ foot kiteloops. And though they seem really fun, I would prefer to not have to go to a hospital.

What are other people’s experiences? Does pretty much everyone who learns higher elevated kite loops get injured?

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Re: Can You Learn Kiteloops Without Getting Injured?

Postby Sun » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:30 pm

You can get injured launching a kite.

With that being said, yeah, I think there are safer ways to progress into aerial kite loops. First, you have to have high jumps with heliloops fully mastered. The more reflexive your heliloop is, the better. There is not a lot of time after throwing a powered kite loop to think about which direction to heliloop afterwards, you must have instinct. Reinforce this by doing high/multiple backrolls and frontrolls to get used to being disoriented and needing to heliloop.

Second, do absolute loads of powered kiteloops under 10 ft. Both directions, and try some slow big ones to get used to the yank and landing with speed.

With that, almost everything is instinctual except for pushing out on the bar after the aerial kite loop. It is easier to focus on this critical step if you do not need to think about throwing the loop or how to heliloop.

And the general advice is always true: low kite loops are safe and high kiteloops are safe. Medium kiteloops will ruin you eventually.
These users thanked the author Sun for the post (total 3):
andrzej351 (Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:58 am) • 1234567Simon (Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:09 am) • yyusufoglu (Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:50 am)
Rating: 9.09%

y2kBug
Rare Poster
Gear: All kinds

Postby y2kBug » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:01 am

I'm in the same situation. Want to progress to mega loops (or at least something that looks like one), but scared of getting injured.

I'm practicing powered loops on my North Orbit which makes it much easier than other kites. Another thing I do is sending the kite a bit at the top of the jump and then sending it back imidietly without completing the loop. This way, I'm slowly getting used to the yank produced by the mega loop.

Still cannot master heli-loops, though. I think the reason is that you need to be downwind relative to the kite to initiate a real heli-loop. I think I need to add it to the last phase of my yanking exersize: wait till I swing under the kite after the yank, and then initiate the heli-loop. Am I on the right path?

Saltyman
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 85kg
Style: Freeride/wakestyle, old school big air
Gear: Slingshot,Naish, Cabrinha,

Postby Saltyman » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:04 am

I agree with Sun.
But first rule of kiting is that you are going to take a hit.
And the bigger and faster you go the bigger the hit.
I always tell people that I have had a lot of injuries getting to a level but you have to take that into account if you want to push yourself.
Same as in MX wakeboarding etc.
I always say if you work for yourself then be super cautious broken ribs etc are not very conducive to working a labour intensive job..
But I know some redhot riders that have only had a minor injury so hopefully you stomp it and don't hurt yourself.

y2kBug
Rare Poster
Gear: All kinds

Postby y2kBug » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:12 am

I think it depends on your age. I'm pushing 50s, and my knees are already messed up. I'm afraid that the next knee injury will be the last one. But, I still love jumping high, and maybe will pull a mega-loop one day safely on the first try.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:24 am

How important is a kiteloop for you ?

If you don't megaloops they look shitty anyway...instead do a Darkslide, boardoff etc. Way less risk of getting injured!

If you need inspiration for tricks, I have over 6000 for you...without having high risks: www.StrictlyHooked.com
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
beebad (Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:43 am)
Rating: 3.03%

vannibombonato
Frequent Poster

Postby vannibombonato » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:47 am

Toby wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:24 am
How important is a kiteloop for you ?

If you don't megaloops they look shitty anyway...instead do a Darkslide, boardoff etc. Way less risk of getting injured!

If you need inspiration for tricks, I have over 6000 for you...without having high risks: www.StrictlyHooked.com
I'm 100% with Toby on this.

1) The "coolness" factor of kiteloops is reached at the megaloop level, which is something that carries a high level of risk for anybody doing it, pro riders included. There's nothing wrong in trying to learn those, and kudos to anybody to has the balls to challenge themselves in order to learn them, but be aware of what you are getting into and be honest with your level of skill and fitness. And remember that virtually anybody able to properly do megaloops is able to do old school tricks blinded.

2) If you are after the fun and coolness factor, PERSONALLY i think old school hooked in tricks are the way to go. Maybe it's because i'm getting older, but i get way more satisfaction today from a smooth kitelooped transition (darkslides, hand drags, etc), and the be all-end all of tricks in Kiting for me has and always will be the Jesus Walk. But that's just me.

All in all, if i had to choose i'd much prefer to be Toby than Lenten. Maybe Toby with Lenten age :D

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:09 am

Hahaha good one!

What exactly is meant / do you guys means by a ''mega'' loop?
I have recently started doing loops at 10m and according to others they look very impressive and it certainly feel like that.
But like others said i would also rather master tricks like darkslide, handdrag, boardoff but for the lack of flat water I still do not learn them properly.
These users thanked the author Leon van Bergen for the post (total 2):
andrzej351 (Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:01 am) • 1234567Simon (Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:08 am)
Rating: 6.06%

vannibombonato
Frequent Poster

Postby vannibombonato » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:42 am

Leon van Bergen wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:09 am
Hahaha good one!

What exactly is meant / do you guys means by a ''mega'' loop?
I have recently started doing loops at 10m and according to others they look very impressive and it certainly feel like that.
But like others said i would also rather master tricks like darkslide, handdrag, boardoff but for the lack of flat water I still do not learn them properly.
Mega Loop to me is wind above 25/30kt minimum, jump high enough and loop low enough so that the kite loops below you. You should see it pointing the water and pulling you towards the water at mach speed, and i guess it's gonna be pretty scary...i'll forever guess i think.

And, naturally it has to climb back and catch you before you actually explode into the water. Easy to look at the videos, a touch harder to actually pull it when you're out there...personally i think that from a pure skill level it's not that hard for an experienced kiter, and it's down to mental toughness. But this is me talking from a sofa.
To make a driving comparison...if you are at SPA circuit you might be in a car which you know can do eau rouge flat out without problems if you follow the proper racing line...but once you're there keeping the gas down is a different story. I am a pussy but it still scares me even in a simulator.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:49 am

Funnily, I talked to a guy after my session yesterday.
Young, first time Brazil, first session.
He had to stop his session because he tried a kiteloop and hurt himself…being injured in paradise with daily 20-25 knots and just shorts isn’t funny 😁

Always think about if it is worth it.

If you are younger and are aiming to reach more in the sport, go for it.
If not, and it is just fun, stay with low kiteloops like transitions or surface tricks like Jesus Walk or Darkslide.
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:27 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”