Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Re: Duotone Rebel SLS 2022

Postby dracop » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:40 pm

That was actually a very impressive video, Ive never seen anyone take a Rebel so low on kiteloops. Full fledged megaloops. Now I have to decide between a quiver of 10m Dice / 12m Rebel or 10m Dice / 12m Dice all in SLS.

Rebel has always helilooped fine but getting it to go low on a kiteloop was a problem. Hence why Im so surprised to see it megaloop - in the past pulling the bar as you went up simply resulted in multiple powered kiteloops instead of a lower loop such ad a megaloop.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:55 pm

Blackened wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:59 am
Toby wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:46 pm
I do? Heli loops? Or kiteloops for surface tricks?
I guess it depends on your definition of heli-loops or downloops. Basically, a landing loop to give you more airtime.
I rarely do. Kite is too slow for it…only few times if I am about to crash or stall the kite.
A small kite is so fast, and hard to control when trying to keep it in zenith…much easier to Heliloop it.
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
Blackened (Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:12 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:42 pm

Toby wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:55 pm
Blackened wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:59 am
Toby wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:46 pm
I do? Heli loops? Or kiteloops for surface tricks?
I guess it depends on your definition of heli-loops or downloops. Basically, a landing loop to give you more airtime.
I rarely do. Kite is too slow for it…only few times if I am about to crash or stall the kite.
A small kite is so fast, and hard to control when trying to keep it in zenith…much easier to Heliloop it.
You're right. I just went back and watched like 50 of your tricks before I found one from 2019. I always thought you did more of them for some reason.
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post:
Toby (Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:26 pm)

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:13 am

A. Rebel SLS and Neo (and Neo SLS) do have pulleys, however the pulleys do not move unless the safety is activated. During normal kite flying they sit against knots and act the same as a fixed pigtail, unlike older Evos and Dice which had active pulleys.

B. There will be no Rebel in original construction for 2021. That design is so perfectly suited for the SLS treatment that it's a no-brainer upgrade.

C. Airton is insane. I could watch those kiteloops all day.

If anyone has any questions lemme know, as with everyone we've been slammed for the past year and I've been lax on chiming in here, will try to be better going forward...

-Dan

LePhasme
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 74
Local Beach: City Beach (Perth, Au)
Favorite Beaches: Shoalwater
Augusta
Nickolson point
Style: Big air
Gear: Duotone rebel (7, 10, 12)
Cabrinha ace 135x40
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby LePhasme » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:16 am

Dan-at-Duotone wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:13 am
A. Rebel SLS and Neo (and Neo SLS) do have pulleys, however the pulleys do not move unless the safety is activated. During normal kite flying they sit against knots and act the same as a fixed pigtail, unlike older Evos and Dice which had active pulleys.

B. There will be no Rebel in original construction for 2021. That design is so perfectly suited for the SLS treatment that it's a no-brainer upgrade.

C. Airton is insane. I could watch those kiteloops all day.

If anyone has any questions lemme know, as with everyone we've been slammed for the past year and I've been lax on chiming in here, will try to be better going forward...

-Dan
What would be the biggest advantage from the SLS, is it going to drift better ? Significantly improve the jumping height ? Better low and/or top end ?

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:56 am

The answer is probably yes :wink:
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:17 am)

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:22 am

Interesting that there won't be a normal rebel. I don't think the price for the SLS is outrageous if the material is what they say it is but for me at least I wouldn't want to spend that much on a kite.
These users thanked the author Exal for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:39 pm)

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:38 pm

LePhasme wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:16 am
What would be the biggest advantage from the SLS, is it going to drift better ? Significantly improve the jumping height ? Better low and/or top end ?
I think the word "significantly" is a bit out of place here in general. I own an EVO SLS and it´s a bit like buying the sportier version of a car. It´s a bit more direct and responding and it has bigger windrange because it doesn´t flatter as much as the normal version (improving top end) and is also a bit lighter (improving low end and drifting). Everything feels a bit more crispy and well defined than with the normal version. However, there are also drawbacks. In gusty wind, the normal Evo version actually is better because the stiffer frame of the SLS translates gusts directly to the bar. I jump a bit higher on the Evo SLS. Not only because its lift is better, but also because you can steer it more direct so it´s easier to time the kite and edge. Is it significantly higher? No, at least not according to my definition of "significantly".

Duotone makes it sound like SLS would be a big game changer, but I think we are talking about small improvements here in the end. I think for most people, the non-SLS versions from last year are totally fine.
These users thanked the author cor for the post:
Gestalt (Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:45 am)

Gestalt
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 186lbs
Favorite Beaches: Long Bay - Turks & Caicos
Style: Wave, Freeride, Foil & Big Air
Gear: 8m & 10m OR Aluula Roam
9m XR7
12m Evo Dlab
12m & 15m FS Sonic 4
TT: Boardschmiede 135x40
Foil: North Sonar 1150cm2

Postby Gestalt » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:43 am

cor wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:38 pm
I think the word "significantly" is a bit out of place here in general. I own an EVO SLS and it´s a bit like buying the sportier version of a car. It´s a bit more direct and responding and it has bigger windrange because it doesn´t flatter as much as the normal version (improving top end) and is also a bit lighter (improving low end and drifting). Everything feels a bit more crispy and well defined than with the normal version. However, there are also drawbacks. In gusty wind, the normal Evo version actually is better because the stiffer frame of the SLS translates gusts directly to the bar.
I also had heard the same thing from a friend who has an Evo SLS. She did not like it in gusty wind, and felt like it yanked her and her arms around a lot. I wonder how much this is due to the stiff frame, and/or lack of pulleys and sliders in the bridles?

The windier it gets typically the more gusty it becomes. In lower steadier wind speeds I found the Evo SLS a dream to fly, that was my only experience.

wrogu
Frequent Poster

Postby wrogu » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:06 am

Gestalt wrote:
cor wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:38 pm
I think the word "significantly" is a bit out of place here in general. I own an EVO SLS and it´s a bit like buying the sportier version of a car. It´s a bit more direct and responding and it has bigger windrange because it doesn´t flatter as much as the normal version (improving top end) and is also a bit lighter (improving low end and drifting). Everything feels a bit more crispy and well defined than with the normal version. However, there are also drawbacks. In gusty wind, the normal Evo version actually is better because the stiffer frame of the SLS translates gusts directly to the bar.
I also had heard the same thing from a friend who has an Evo SLS. She did not like it in gusty wind, and felt like it yanked her and her arms around a lot. I wonder how much this is due to the stiff frame, and/or lack of pulleys and sliders in the bridles?

The windier it gets typically the more gusty it becomes. In lower steadier wind speeds I found the Evo SLS a dream to fly, that was my only experience.
I had the same feelings with dice sls. You feel gusts a lot more and makes flying a bit more difficult. On the other hand the extra feedback is nice (if you want it). I also found it to be super stable ... thus I am on a wait list for 9m. I guess I will stick to yhe ordinary dice in large sizes.

Return to “Kitesurfing”