Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What is the significant difference between heli loop, kite loop, down loop?

Forum for kitesurfers
NotsoShort
Rare Poster
Gear: 14m RPM
10m RPM
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

What is the significant difference between heli loop, kite loop, down loop?

Postby NotsoShort » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:39 pm

Some videos are a bit confusing and some say they are doing heli loops but looks more like a kite loop when pulling their back hand.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Re: What is the significant difference between heli loop, kite loop, down loop?

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:49 pm

These terms describe the type of loop
Kite loop = pull loop with back hand
Down loop / contra loop = pull loop with front hand

These terms describe the timing that you initiate the loop
Heli-loop = high in the window after the apex with the loop staying high
powered kite loop = before the apex of the jump
low power loop / landing loop = after the apex on the way down
Mega loop = Powered kite loop where the height is at least 15m and the kite passes level to the rider or below the rider in the loop. If you don't think you might die during a loop then you haven't done a mega loop.

The confusion is that kite loop as a term is used to describe both looping the kite as an action and a specific type of loop. Go figure?
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post (total 11):
Regis-de-giens (Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:09 pm) • Kitemenn (Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:40 pm) • Gestalt (Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:22 pm) • cor (Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:49 pm) • Zen_Rider (Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:50 am) • rw30 (Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:17 pm) • bkkite (Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:02 am) • edt (Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:28 pm) • SENDIT! (Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:45 pm) • Archer77 (Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:42 pm) and one more user
Rating: 33.33%

NotsoShort
Rare Poster
Gear: 14m RPM
10m RPM
Has thanked: 0

Postby NotsoShort » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:03 pm

Thanks for clarifying. I agree the term kite loop is being used to much

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:55 am

nothing2seehere wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:49 pm
Mega loop = Powered kite loop where the height is at least 15m and the kite passes level to the rider or below the rider in the loop. If you don't think you might die during a loop then you haven't done a mega loop.
Agree with everything else but this. If you use this definition of a megaloop, I can't remember one completed in a comp (or even seen any video) in at least the last few years. Even Liam's monster 20m+ loop at Cold Hawaii wouldn't count because his kite wasn't low enough. Plenty go 15m, but none drop it to horizontal, and certainly none below. I can't remember what Josh calls his negative loops, but "megaloop" was around long before Josh started doing that, and I consider those different/more extreme.

...Also, I thought I was going to die multiple times during loops when I was learning them. 45 degree kite angle and 5m certainly doesn't count :P.

I've always gone with 10m and 15 degrees, but if Kiteforum wants to define it higher, willing to move it to 15m.

zloilyoha
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skadovsk
Favorite Beaches: Karzhyny Skadovsk, Cape Town SA
Style: free
Gear: slingshot, ozone, core

Postby zloilyoha » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:05 am

nothing2seehere wrote:
These terms describe the type of loop
Kite loop = pull loop with back hand
Down loop / contra loop = pull loop with front hand

These terms describe the timing that you initiate the loop
Heli-loop = high in the window after the apex with the loop staying high
powered kite loop = before the apex of the jump
low power loop / landing loop = after the apex on the way down

The confusion is that kite loop as a term is used to describe both looping the kite as an action and a specific type of loop. Go figure?
I would say - a proper heli is when the kite loops behind your back

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:57 am

Blackened wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:55 am
nothing2seehere wrote:
Agree with everything else but this. If you use this definition of a megaloop, I can't remember one completed in a comp (or even seen any video) in at least the last few years. Even Liam's monster 20m+ loop at Cold Hawaii wouldn't count because his kite wasn't low enough. Plenty go 15m, but none drop it to horizontal, and certainly none below. I can't remember what Josh calls his negative loops, but "megaloop" was around long before Josh started doing that, and I consider those different/more extreme.

...Also, I thought I was going to die multiple times during loops when I was learning them. 45 degree kite angle and 5m certainly doesn't count :P.

I've always gone with 10m and 15 degrees, but if Kiteforum wants to define it higher, willing to move it to 15m.
I'm trying to remember the exact phrasing that Mr Hadlow used when he defined it - could have changed it due to poor memory(?) - but I do remember that height and how low the kite gets being a factor.
zloilyoha wrote: I would say - a proper heli is when the kite loops behind your back
Its an interesting point. I would previously have agreed with you but videos from Alex Buss (kitesurf-college) have made me reassess somewhat. In order to get the kite to loop behind you, you need to either be kitelooping or sending the kite as you need the forwards momentum to get the swing to allow the kite to rotate behind you. I would argue that the purpose of a heli loop is to slow the rate of descent and that whilst at first glance, Mike Macdonald's videos look like he is steering the kite behind him for a heli loop all the time, he is actually often waiting for the kite to pass behind and then flying it round in front of him in many cases (I think this is a front hand heli loop vs back hand).

The ultimate purpose of the loop is to get the kite to spend as much time in the high lift zone and this may be slightly in front or behind you - hence why I choose to characterise the heli loop as a loop high in the window as it may not be necessary to loop the kite behind your head.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:09 pm

I always thought the heli loop was done on the way down and had to pass through 12 to spend as much time as possible overhead (in the high lift zone) to slow the decent?

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:25 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:57 am
I'm trying to remember the exact phrasing that Mr Hadlow used when he defined it - could have changed it due to poor memory(?) - but I do remember that height and how low the kite gets being a factor.
Took a while and a lot of reading:

Mega-loop = 10m + kite low enough to generate a significant horizontal pull.
Psycho-loop = Kite below horizontal. I always thought Josh coined it, but I saw it defined on a forum from 2012.

The megaloop definition is from 2010. Wonder what the pros would say now? Probably could do with an update for the '20s.
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post:
nothing2seehere (Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:28 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Baptiste_FR
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Normandy
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Rally (12-9-7m²)

Postby Baptiste_FR » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:10 pm

I think this one is the lowest megaloop I've ever seen. Even lower than Jason VDS.
Really realy impressive :
https://fb.watch/aV593yin8-/

andikite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 77
Local Beach: Matalascañas, Huelva, Spain
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Cádiz, Spain
Caños de Meca, Cádiz, Spain
Isla Canela, Huelva, Spain
Matalascañas, Huelva, Spain
Style: Strapless
Gear: Duotone Dice 6, 9, 12.
Duotone Clickbar 22-24
Duotone whip SLS 5'1
Mystic Majestic 2020 Harness

Postby andikite » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:34 pm

Baptiste_FR wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:10 pm
I think this one is the lowest megaloop I've ever seen. Even lower than Jason VDS.
Really realy impressive :
https://fb.watch/aV593yin8-/
After seeing these kind of low megaloop with short lines I think about the posibility to do something which could be called "back kite loop" or directly "killer loop". I mean, start the megaloop and direct the kite to your back behind you upwind, creating apparent wind to the kite with your forward inertia. Difficult to explain for me in English but it would be similar to a backflip (I don't know the exact term of this acro movement) in Paragliders.

Would be possible? I think they are very close to get it. Obviously is very dangerous, if the kite touch the water... A kiter less in the world. Would be necessary good high and very short lines.

Return to “Kitesurfing”