Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Strapped balance point

Forum for wing surfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Strapped balance point

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:12 pm

A question for everybody, and some thoughts and experiences.

I kitefoil strapless mostly, on occasion I use straps for jumping, but quite rare.

For wingfoil also strapless, but tried with straps a few times. Three strap configuration that is.

Why?

In order to see how much faster you can carve surfing a wave wing hanging in one hand loose, when you can push with the straps also, as no matter how small and light, wingfoils still suck bigtime in terms of how lively they carve, compared to kitefoilboards.

I knew where the straps should be of course, and easy to ride balanced and jibe.

BUT, the sideways balance, was just horrific, well at least when wind is onshore or sideonshore, as this is what I've ridden :o

Meaning, normally on foilboards when I ride waves and want to turn, I put my front foot in the middle of the board, and my rear foot a bit to the leeside.

This way I can ride with balance sideways when wing is hanging loose in my hand, and board is horizontal and flat, everything feels balanced so I can carve both leeward and windward equally well :thumb:

With straps on a wingfoil, first time I found they had to be super loose for me, so I could get closer to the centreline of the board.

Even after changing to wider straps, I still found I could not ride balanced to leeward, it felt like I would be pushed to windward if I just let go.

Do any of you feel the same?

I know, in theory, that it should not matter and might be a mental thing, as you just ride a bit tilted to leeward (or windward if toeside) when having straps a bit off center, for balance.

But it felt so wrong to me... :wink:

Pretty sure its just me who can not get rid of old habits.

Would like to hear everybody else's experience regarding this?

Assume it is just me who has to adjust - but maybe others have had the same experience and found out if its just a matter of time till it balances again, or if it, for some, feels and is wrong in terms of sideway balance??? :roll:

8) Peter

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Re: Strapped balance point

Postby StellaBlu » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:37 pm

I don't really have this issue, but maybe its because I don't ride with a rear strap very often. I find that I get almost all the strapped carving and pumping benefit from the front strap and only really want the rear strap for jumping. Maybe if you experiment without the rear strap it will allow you to offset the rear foot in the manner that you are looking for, without much detriment to performance.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:07 am

StellaBlu wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:37 pm
I don't really have this issue, but maybe its because I don't ride with a rear strap very often. I find that I get almost all the strapped carving and pumping benefit from the front strap and only really want the rear strap for jumping. Maybe if you experiment without the rear strap it will allow you to offset the rear foot in the manner that you are looking for, without much detriment to performance.

Very true, without the rear strap it is no problem.
I dont want to ride in one strap only though, way too risky in waves IMO.

But seeing the top dogs in Dakhla, they ride effortlessly in both straps on the waves carving hard bottom turns and cutbacks.

8) Peter

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:30 am

Yeah, need lots of offset. Like this board. Way better.

You only need to suffer strap on center if you jump both tacks.

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:37 am

I think the future of Foot Strap configuration for WingFoil boards will be

Single Long Front Strap that is perpendicular to the board

Double Back Straps that are offset as shown by Dwight

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:17 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:07 am

But seeing the top dogs in Dakhla, they ride effortlessly in both straps on the waves carving hard bottom turns and cutbacks.

8) Peter
saw Malo on a very nice run too, difficult to see if the straps are symmetrial placed or off line..
perhaps smaller frontwings?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:03 pm

Of course you could offset the straps, but this is a very bad solution - as then you have to change them every day/time when you ride in another wind direction.

Also, very often I like to ride waves on both tacks, either in onshore winds, or if I ride just across the point where the coast turns so wind from the other side.

I am not interested in jumping, so not the issue.

But I can not see WHY you should stay centered for carving balance, as it is a foil and not a surfboard, so almost no lever involved?

Thus my question, whether it is me foiling strapless for so long, who can not get used to standing off center (but have to use a lot more time to get used to it), or if others find it does not work the same carving frontside, when off center?

8) Peter

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:45 pm

I think it is only possible because you use the straps actively lifting up, so you still want to be over the centerline if you can :D

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:26 am

I agree 100% Peter

Very few custom board orders ask for rear strap on center. 75% of orders now ask for offset rear.

Also…boards are trending wider. Narrow still preferred for tricks. Wider for easier all around.

Return to “Wingsurfing”