Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Are my pigtails dangerously worn?

Postby edt » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:10 am

that video was lame. he cut his lines on the water not even on a jump, then in high winds instead of a real death loop he just turned the bar, and then pulled the opposite line to stall the kite. He already knew exactly which line to pull before he even started. A more realistic death loop is when you are getting tea bagged upside down and backwards, you have the control bar in a death grip, and need to decide, "Should I use the QR or start randomly pulling lines?" That's more realistic. There's no way to tell what kind of death loop you are in, is it a spreader hook snag, a chicken line wrap, a tangle in the lines, seaweed in the bridle, a line caught inside your cleat, or a bridle wrap, because your visibility is impaired from the spray and you are getting dunked in the water like a donut. You have to react instantly, or risk getting teabagged onto a hard object near shore.

When you break a line, snap a spreader hook, or tear a seam in your harness, it's almost always right at the start of the jump because that's when you have the maximum pressure on the kite lines. If you are doing megaloops or doing snow kite mountain glides, make sure all your gear is pristine, because those are the two cases where you can snap your lines easily while high up. Doing megaloops is also a good excuse to buy new gear.

vakiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake bay
Style: surfboard +foil
Gear: misc. flites, edge, peak, reo, pivot,kahoona, sst.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby vakiter » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:37 am

Yeah true , would like to hear more about these failures so we can avoid . Seems like getting rid of the hook is a great help to safety .

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha 2014 9m
Blade Trigger 2016 10m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sergei Scotland » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:20 pm

edt wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:10 am
that video was lame. he cut his lines on the water not even on a jump, then in high winds instead of a real death loop he just turned the bar, and then pulled the opposite line to stall the kite. He already knew exactly which line to pull before he even started. A more realistic death loop is when you are getting tea bagged upside down and backwards, you have the control bar in a death grip, and need to decide, "Should I use the QR or start randomly pulling lines?" That's more realistic. There's no way to tell what kind of death loop you are in, is it a spreader hook snag, a chicken line wrap, a tangle in the lines, seaweed in the bridle, a line caught inside your cleat, or a bridle wrap, because your visibility is impaired from the spray and you are getting dunked in the water like a donut. You have to react instantly, or risk getting teabagged onto a hard object near
Well I would love someone to produce a video by cutting his lines during take off or jump.But I think my hopes are a bit on a dream side :D until then this experiment is valid and shows that there is no danger of a death loop when a line fails.
But I think you somewhat missed his point. His method works in any death loop variation. And it is easy to find the line to pull on.just follow the bar to the top and grab the floater and line connected there.
I wish I knew this method when I got into a death loop of the "line over the hook" variety. Lucky there was only 15 knots and I had plenty of water and sand to be dragged on. Tried to release line from the hook. Instead should have done what he suggests and stalled the kite. Pretty sure it would have worked for me.
Edit: I guess this method would not have worked for a bridle wrap. But then QR would work.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:44 pm

sergei Scotland wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:20 pm
Well I would love someone to produce a video by cutting his lines during take off or jump.But I think my hopes are a bit on a dream side :D until then this experiment is valid and shows that there is no danger of a death loop when a line fails.
I can tell you what happens: The bar gets ripped out of your hands and the kite goes flying away to the end of the safety line.

On takeoff, you just sorta fall over. Mid jump, you're going down like a rock... hopefully not in a messy way.

Always ends up the same -- screaming obscenities at the morons who insist that single frontline safeties are an improvement :lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”