Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 85kg
Style: Freeride/wakestyle, old school big air
Gear: Slingshot,Naish, Cabrinha,
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Boosting only one way

Postby Saltyman » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:52 pm

If you can jump but not land it ie skip out.
It's because you are not pointing your board downwind enough and are coming into your landings with the board in same position as you jumped. Think of how you land on your favorable side.
Try to point board downwind on your landings and this will help you with it

Soleas
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: BIG AIR
Gear: Epic Screamer, Flysurfer Soul
Brand Affiliation: Epickites Cyprus Rep/Rider, Kiteflex team rider

Postby Soleas » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:59 am

I also have the 'feels like writing with the left hand syndrome' on the goofy side and I only boost at normal side. Kiteloops the same.
But I don't mind landing either side. Or transitioning either side.
It's just the jump. When I try to boost big on goofy side my brain goes haywire and I loose track where I am or where the kite is. Haven't bothered fixing it cause I don't enjoy jumping goofy side anyways. For what ever reason.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:40 am

I was also way higher and more stylish and more tricks goofy than regular and could never get them equal.

Interestingly, I developed a different style for regular jumps. rather than send it big, I could do non sent more timing moves (such as a non-sent inverted front roll with a grab, 540's, ...). My only advice is don't give up on the bad side. but try different things. maybe you can jump from toe side. throw in a grab. and have fun learning and playing and crashing rather than getting frustrated or giving up.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:09 am

tkachuk wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:41 am
I am an intermediate kiter, almost 60 years old, who has been kiting ~3 years and boosting 10 - 15 feet for a year. Problem is that, I can only get decent height going goofy. Every time I try regular, the kite gets behind me and I bomb out or worse. How common is only being able to boost decently only one way? Any tips? Dont ask for a video as itd be brutal to watch.
It's been 3 and a half years. Can tkachuk boost both ways now? Nobody knows.

tkachuk
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 75 kilos
Local Beach: Squamish, Nitinat (formerly: Cherry Beach, Allanwood, Presquil)
Favorite Beaches: Presquil (Ontario), Long Bay Turks, Silver Sands Barbados, OBX, Key Biscayne Florida
Style: boosting, carving my jibes, waves on TT
Gear: CORE, Shinn

Postby tkachuk » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:57 am

Update from Tkachuk a few years later:
Good news: Still kiting a ton and I am boosting higher goofy (despite not getting younger).
Bad news: No, jumps the other way are still catastrophic. Will take the tips posted here and get back to the forum in a few more years with my progress or lack thereof.

SWO_kite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Belle River, Ontario, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Yes
Style: Foil/Freeride/Big air
Gear: 11m Reedin SM V2, 8m & 6m SS Raptor
128 Shinn Sunburner + 75 AL-mast + K wing
140 Best Spark, 133 Cabrinha Caliber

Postby SWO_kite » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:32 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:52 am
For me, depends on how the wind and chop lines up, so you might find you jump just as well the other way, with a bit of practice. Some days, I forget which side is my natural side but it doesn't matter because the chop is coming in at the wrong angle...

Some day, I boost in one direction then play with the waves back the other way.
I can't agree more. I forced myself to learn weak side jumps because, some days, that's just how the kickers roll in.

For the love of big air, practice baby.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:56 am

tkachuk wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:57 am
Update from Tkachuk a few years later:
Good news: Still kiting a ton and I am boosting higher goofy (despite not getting younger).
Bad news: No, jumps the other way are still catastrophic. Will take the tips posted here and get back to the forum in a few more years with my progress or lack thereof.
Feel like posting some videos yet tkachuk? Fastest way to get better otherwise you are just trying random suggestions and hoping something works

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:43 pm

I started off goofy, but changed to regular about 8-10 years ago as I could drive the edge in better with my right foot. I am trying to go both ways by doing pops and railys goofy foot. I did one goofy with my 21m one day and boosted 25+ feet. I think I must have pulled in on the bar at just the right time.

BenBen
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Northern Germany
Gear: Slingshot Rally, Naish Pivot, Airush Lithium, Crazyfly Raptor

Postby BenBen » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:13 am

I love jumping both sides. I do 7-8 meter on the one side and 8-10m on the other foot. Thats fine for me. Both sides are fun and actually feel different. But rotations and loops only work in one side (my weaker side) - i guess thats where its Not about foot/leg control,but about controlling all of your body. But it s the same with different sports - skateboarding,football... Both of my feet are doing their jobs decent. But when it comes to using my hands,there s definetly just one hand in favour.

BillyKP
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Georgian Bay
Favorite Beaches: Wasaga, Lake Simcoe, Cuba
Style: freestyle
Gear: OceanRodeo
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby BillyKP » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:21 am

I'm a goofy starboard booster too. Last year I started jumping regular, port side, decent size jumps too...here's what helped me: as I am heading into my regular (port tack) jump, I start thinking about spinning 180 and landing toeside with my right foot forward. As soon as I'm in the air with my right leg/foot forward everything seems right in the world lol

Return to “Kitesurfing”