Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Boosting only one way

Forum for kitesurfers
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Boosting only one way

Postby Flyboy » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:44 am

I started jumping goofy because I was better at jumping a windsurfer goofy ... & I was better jumping a windsurfer goofy because most of my jumping locations were starboard tack going out through the waves. Interestingly, when I foil my stronger side is regular. Kiting waves on a SB I am completely comfortable both sides.

knuthansen
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby knuthansen » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:45 pm

I only jumped one way the first 2.5 years and couldn't boost at all switch when I first tried it, felt super awkward and like a total beginner. Now 1.5 years later it still doesn't feel as natural, yet I regularly boost higher switch actually. Being able to take off both sides makes a huge difference IMO as conditions and be much better on on side than on the other, e.g. with kickers or lagoons. Also doesn't create muscular imbalances, which may sneak up on you later.

Tony in FL
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 165 pounds
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 7M/9M/11M - Contra 13M

Postby Tony in FL » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:23 pm

I make it a goal to learn tricks in both directions, although I may focus on my stronger side initially. And I am not saying for every trick I have equal ability both ways. But I wonder if there are good reasons to consider learning tricks both ways. Symmetry comes to mind. It seems gear wear and stretch may be more symmetrical. Also perhaps muscle, tendon, joint, etc. usage will be more even. Also it is nice to be able to perform (and practice) tricks on both tacks.

For me the stronger side is not always the same. Right now I am more comfortable with regular stance boosting, back rolls, and back roll transitions but front rolls and front roll transitions feel more comfortable goofy. . . . go figure!

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:37 pm

Tony in FL wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:23 pm
I make it a goal to learn tricks in both directions, although I may focus on my stronger side initially. And I am not saying for every trick I have equal ability both ways. But I wonder if there are good reasons to consider learning tricks both ways. Symmetry comes to mind. It seems gear wear and stretch may be more symmetrical. Also perhaps muscle, tendon, joint, etc. usage will be more even. Also it is nice to be able to perform (and practice) tricks on both tacks.

For me the stronger side is not always the same. Right now I am more comfortable with regular stance boosting, back rolls, and back roll transitions but front rolls and front roll transitions feel more comfortable goofy. . . . go figure!
I remember seeing a pro saying that most freestylers don't actually learn tricks symmetrically. They tend to learn something one way and then learn the opposite spin on the other side. The reasoning was that you only had to get used to the rotation once. Eg. you might learn a darkslide into a backroll in one direction and then go for the darkslide into frontroll on the opposite side.
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
Tony in FL (Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:19 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Gonzavala
Medium Poster
Local Beach: East Beach South End UK
Favorite Beaches: East End, paracas, pacasmayo, guincho
Style: freestyle
Gear: Rrds obssesion shinn luigi

Postby Gonzavala » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:55 pm

The problem of jumping only on one side is when you travel or have to go to a beach other than your local and the sweet spot for boosting is on your weak side

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:10 pm

have to boost both sides. you can't choose which way to jump the pier as it depends on the wind

Return to “Kitesurfing”