Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What is the best front line splitter block for low V bars? (Upgrading my Dreamstick X)

Forum for kitesurfers
Kite Dependent
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 86
Local Beach: Woolgoogha
Style: Freeride + Wave
Gear: 2018 LF NV's & Flysurfer SOUL, Reedin Dreamstick X, Cabrinha Tronic & Chopstick, North Pro Whip
Brand Affiliation: None

What is the best front line splitter block for low V bars? (Upgrading my Dreamstick X)

Postby Kite Dependent » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:48 am

Hi All,
Looking for some advice from the collective mind on this forum.
So, I have the new Reedin Dreamstick X as a warranty replacement for the V2. I had an issue that was resolved by Reedin/Dealer in 12hr from emailing about it. So credit where it's due, very good customer service!

Basically, the front line splitter block has caused bad wear on the front line splice loop in just 100 days (not 100 days of use, but a good amount) I believe this is due to sand in the splitter block and the block twisting when you hit the quick release. Photo below shows what I am on about.
unnamed.png
Note: I did clean the bar after use but I would have come into the beach and gone out again in the same session and not really practical to clean out splitter block all the time.

The photo below shows some ruff edges that have been created and no doubt led to the early demise of my frontline from a few ejects on the side of the window to self-land when no one was about in strong wind.
unnamed (1).png
unnamed (1).png (240.78 KiB) Viewed 6480 times
Also, the image below is my personal take on what is happening when you eject with the bar.
Left image = normal bar use and kite flying. Red arrows show force and direction. All good of course.
Right image = Eject via quick release. Both, mainlines have 50% of load when you eject, and once the flagging line bungee has reached full length the white block will for a short time twist as shown as it travels up to 6 meters with reducing power as kite flag out fully for a 12m kite.
unnamed (2).png
unnamed (2).png (21.33 KiB) Viewed 6480 times
It could be a manufacturing defect and the dealer had not heard of this before but I want to upgrade the white splitter block on my Dreamstick X
I made a review video about this bar which might explain this better.

So, on to the question...What is the BEST front line splitter block for low V bars?

I could use, and more importantly, obtain (in covid times) an Ozone part (below) but the hole in the stopper ball would be too big for the loop to loop knot to not pull through and I would need to put depower rope through the hole as shown. When this part flags out it could twist loads and not put any twisting force on the front line. Which i like
Screenshot at Nov 24 15-32-49.png
Screenshot at Nov 24 15-32-49.png (53.97 KiB) Viewed 6480 times
Or, maybe a Flysurfer part?
Screenshot at Nov 24 15-40-41.png
Screenshot at Nov 24 15-40-41.png (32.34 KiB) Viewed 6480 times
Any thoughts?

Cheers, Stu
These users thanked the author Kite Dependent for the post:
vakiter (Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:26 am)
Rating: 3.03%

BE_Kiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 94
Local Beach: Belgium - Heist - Anemos
Favorite Beaches: Flag Beach
Style: Free
Gear: North Reach 8,11,13 2020
North Orbit 9,12 2021
Duotone NEO 6,8,9
North Comp, Charge 2020
Nobile 666 135

Re: What is the best front line splitter block for low V bars? (Upgrading my Dreamstick X)

Postby BE_Kiter » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:48 am

These users thanked the author BE_Kiter for the post:
Kite Dependent (Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:03 am)

trendab
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Local Beach: Urnersee Switzerland
Style: Freeride, Foil
Gear: Gong, Fone, Anton, Slingshot, Naish

Re: What is the best front line splitter block for low V bars? (Upgrading my Dreamstick X)

Postby trendab » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:53 am

Kite Dependent
Rare Poster
Gear: 2018 LF NV's & Flysurfer SOUL, Reedin Dreamstick X, Cabrinha Tronic & Chopstick, North Pro Whip

Postby Kite Dependent » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:57 am

BE_Kiter wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:48 am
I would say: https://shop.northkb.com/north/power-br ... ball-80753
Looks good part and metal too. Just no stock!

Orca-N
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: var (DE + NL)
Gear: var

Postby Orca-N » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:59 am

Hello KD,

I am pretty sure the Flysurfer solution is the equivalent part to the Reedin one with just other colour and branding.
Flysurfer at this position have coatings at their lines to prevent ("counterreact") the wear.

Regarding the "tilted" position you describe that the cause is releasing situation.
I rather suspect a different front line length. In some cases I have seen different front line lengths up to 10cm (!!).
So its definetly worth checking if not already done.
This wear you show just due to quick-releasing the kite I cannot believe. (only if used for schooling which release very often)

Regarding alternative splitter:
I was also looking for optons and only found the ozone part.
Here I am unsure if the knot which holds the red stopper ball would go through my quick release-hole with secured repeatability.
Or otherwise: if the connection which goes through the quickrelease is still big enough to hold the stopperball.
If so, I would prefer this solution if you start with a new one.
(Maybe the hole in the stopperball has the same diameter as the hole in the bracket...)

I don't see the reason why you want to use the hole instead of the standard position for your depower line (?)
Cabrinha-bracket looks similar to the ozone one by function. Maybe a little lighter.
Don't know the material of cab (Aluminium?) The ozone one is steel.

Anoter option which I didn't like but just mentioning is this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3282923 ... 8255%22%7D
I think this one was used from switchkites in their first controller version. So it's possible to realise SFS.
These users thanked the author Orca-N for the post:
Kite Dependent (Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:03 am)

Orca-N
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: var (DE + NL)
Gear: var

Postby Orca-N » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:02 am

BE_Kiter wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:48 am
I would say: https://shop.northkb.com/north/power-br ... ball-80753
This looks good. Wasn't aware of this one.
And it is super aerodynamical you can win King of the Air with this :D

Kite Dependent
Rare Poster

Postby Kite Dependent » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:17 am

Orca-N wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:59 am
Hello KD,

I am pretty sure the Flysurfer solution is the equivalent part to the Reedin one with just other colour and branding.
Flysurfer at this position have coatings at their lines to prevent ("counterreact") the wear.

Regarding the "tilted" position you describe that the cause is releasing situation.
I rather suspect a different front line length. In some cases I have seen different front line lengths up to 10cm (!!).
So its definetly worth checking if not already done.
This wear you show just due to quick-releasing the kite I cannot believe. (only if used for schooling which release very often)

Regarding alternative splitter:
I was also looking for optons and only found the ozone part.
Here I am unsure if the knot which holds the red stopper ball would go through my quick release-hole with secured repeatability.
Or otherwise: if the connection which goes through the quickrelease is still big enough to hold the stopperball.
If so, I would prefer this solution if you start with a new one.
(Maybe the hole in the stopperball has the same diameter as the hole in the bracket...)

I don't see the reason why you want to use the hole instead of the standard position for your depower line (?)
Cabrinha-bracket looks similar to the ozone one by function. Maybe a little lighter.
Don't know the material of cab (Aluminium?) The ozone one is steel.

Anoter option which I didn't like but just mentioning is this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3282923 ... 8255%22%7D
I think this one was used from switchkites in their first controller version. So it's possible to realise SFS.
Cheers Orca-N,

Note: the image on the right showing the twist is only at the moment of ejecting. Front lines are equal length.

Yep, I'm a bit shocked about the wear, hense the upgrade. I had to eject a few times on a kite trip in far north Queensland. Trade winds up there 25 to 35 kts day and night for two weeks.

I'm thinking the hole in the ozone part for the depower to keep orientation the same as the Reedin splitter block. So the front lines want to sit left/right in line with the kite rather that up/down. Flysurfer and now North Power Bracket will all work

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

R

Postby edt » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:36 pm

1 inch nylon block. description of nylon block starts at 1 minute

There is very little wear from using the QR I think the real reason for the wear is that the lines above the V twist and rub together or at least that's what I have found. You might use the QR 5 or 6 times a month but the lines will twist together hundreds of times. The nylon block I suggest might have less wear might have more, but it's simple, works great and costs about $1 to build just get some nylon and drill some holes. If you can't source nylon a 1 inch aluminum block also works but it's heavier.

The ozone v is annoying because you need the stupid red ball

that one is my 4 and 5 line version

I bought a $10 block of nylon and have made 6 control bar V's out of it so far, still have some nylon left.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:36 pm

That is very simple part. Plastic is ok for material because it has low friction and it is strong enough. Ozone part is obviously of high quality but you have to pull through other front line - but ok it is not a big deal and it is completely reliable way to do it. I don't see any relevance of in which direction depower line goes through the block and also plastic stopper ball should work just fine. Too tight radius of depower line in block isn't good though.

If lines wear out too fast there is too sharp corner in that part. Should be quite easy to make it rounder with some tool. After years of use it is normal that lines wear out at the loop. Fix is to make new loops in front lines and adjust back lines respectively, or make new loops for them as well.

QR action is not the cause of wear

ArneB
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee (The Netherlands)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (The Netherlands)
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Vegas
Has thanked: 0

Postby ArneB » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:03 pm

These users thanked the author ArneB for the post:
Kite Dependent (Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:11 am)

Return to “Kitesurfing”