Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What is the best front line splitter block for low V bars? (Upgrading my Dreamstick X)

Forum for kitesurfers
Kite Dependent
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 86
Local Beach: Woolgoogha
Style: Freeride + Wave
Gear: 2018 LF NV's & Flysurfer SOUL, Reedin Dreamstick X, Cabrinha Tronic & Chopstick, North Pro Whip
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What is the best front line splitter block for low V bars? (Upgrading my Dreamstick X)

Postby Kite Dependent » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:04 am

Wolkster wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:25 am
Best way to remove the sharp edges for anything that a line runs though is this abrasive cord.
Many different diameters and grits to choose from.

Thanks Wolkster, this stuff looks like a good option form rounding of the edges in Reedin block, better than a Dremel maybe.

jmach
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Re: R

Postby jmach » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:40 am

edt wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:32 am
Kite Dependent wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:44 pm
You do highlight how much cheaper we could all be kiting with home made bars.
I'm not so sure it's cheaper. You still have to buy lines and the QR itself is really expensive now. So for instance, the QR will run anywhere from $100 to $200, then the lines, which I like to make myself run me about 33 cents a foot so that's over $100 for the lines but typically it will cost more because you end up buying more than you need and can't use the rest, so about $150 for lines, then the chicken leaders run about $1 a foot, you want again more than you need to build a bar because if you get less and it turns out your splice adds more requirement for length than you thought, then it's a disaster, so count on $20 for the chicken line, then $20 for the leaders another $100 for assorted o-rings, cleats, tape to regrip the bar and it totals out to about $440.

It's best just to buy a control bar with a QR you like, then later mod the bar as you like. If you can get the control bar used you also can part it up and that's nice. The best thing about a home made bar is that you get rid of these incredibly annoying problems like that wear you that have described, so you know your control bar works 100% of the time every time.

I think most of us who build bars end up doing it because we get to pick and choose exactly which components we like and usually we don't skimp on the quality of the components because then what's the point?
I've put together a few bars and agree with EDT, it's not really about saving money, it's about getting exactly what you want. I've had excellent results with the Ozone trimmer bracket, wish it didn't have a bead but the setup is very proven and quite solid. I want to give a shout-out to Kiteboarding.com for being a great source for many of the odds and ends needed when putting together a bar or tweaking one. Also, Kite Attitude in France is great too, especially for the hard to source quick release assembly, their 'Aka Chicken Loop' is an excellent QR. Shipping to the U.S. is a bit pricey these days but there's not too many options available for QRs here. I recommend springing for DHL shipping, it's unbelievably fast and reliable.
Another real benefit of building your own bar is how it makes you more aware of how everything works, especially the flag out/safety system. It's definitely not rocket science but I'm amazed how little attention most give it. And one more suggestion, learn to splice, it's easy and opens a world of options.
These users thanked the author jmach for the post:
vakiter (Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:26 am)
Rating: 3.03%

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Re: What is the best front line splitter block for low V bars? (Upgrading my Dreamstick X)

Postby iriejohn » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:20 pm

A manufacturers QR is the expensive part. If you do not unhook you do need a manufacturers QR.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:50 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:20 pm
A manufacturers QR is the expensive part. If you do not unhook you do need a manufacturers QR.
still pretty expensive right? I think the wichard 2673 that's like the 1900 pound shackle is about $75 I think. I'm a big fan of people that don't unhook to get one of those systems oem or homebuilt, including maybe a rope slider, no shackle to get caught on. I unhook a little so the spreader hook is still for me.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:28 pm

edt wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:50 pm
iriejohn wrote:
still pretty expensive right? I think the wichard 2673 that's like the 1900 pound shackle is about $75 I think. I'm a big fan of people that don't unhook to get one of those systems oem or homebuilt, including maybe a rope slider, no shackle to get caught on. I unhook a little so the spreader hook is still for me.
I do not and will not use Wichard shackles, or any other shackle for that matter, with my Mystic Stealth surf (rope) spreader bar.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:37 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:28 pm

I do not and will not use Wichard shackles, or any other shackle for that matter, with my Mystic Stealth surf (rope) spreader bar.
What are you using then? I hope it's not secret.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:53 pm

Both of these are great. I like the Flysurfer one more though - I’ve been using my Best version of it for years and it’s great.
Attachments
6EA8CF1C-00CF-43D9-9DC9-9429DAD3E361.jpeg

Kite Dependent
Rare Poster
Gear: 2018 LF NV's & Flysurfer SOUL, Reedin Dreamstick X, Cabrinha Tronic & Chopstick, North Pro Whip

Postby Kite Dependent » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:55 am

grigorib wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:53 pm
Both of these are great. I like the Flysurfer one more though - I’ve been using my Best version of it for years and it’s great.
Hi grigorib,
I got an Ozone one now from a mate to try out... she sure is a solid and weighty bit of splitter block, really is a very good design when flagging out, almost no friction/rope burn will happen in my opinion. I have ordered a 16mm Ronstan stopper ball (4mm hole) to go with it... so will see if this works with the Reedin loop to loop knot on the main line to flagging bungee.
To be honest the Reedin flagging bungee is a bit sub par, same elastic as the line winders spliced into in. I will see if the Ozone bungee will run through PU tube as an upgrade too.

Is it possible to send me close up photos of the Flysurfer part from the top and bottom if you have one? (Or anyone else who has it)
I can not find any on the net and keen to see the design in full.

Cheers.

Kite Dependent
Rare Poster

Postby Kite Dependent » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:08 am

iriejohn wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:28 pm
edt wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:50 pm
iriejohn wrote:

Here my Stealth bar set up, makes rope my last way longer and still easy swap bars/kites with others.
Screenshot at Nov 30 13-03-54.png
Screenshot at Nov 30 13-03-54.png (278.76 KiB) Viewed 3412 times
Screenshot at Nov 30 13-06-35.png
Screenshot at Nov 30 13-06-35.png (175.13 KiB) Viewed 3412 times

vakiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake bay
Style: surfboard +foil
Gear: misc. flites, edge, peak, reo, pivot,kahoona, sst.

Postby vakiter » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:23 am

The block arneb posted I had on a blade v3 bar . I put slingshot lines on it and the flagging did not work reliably . So be sure to test . The failure was that the block would kink to the side and lock , the slingshot line had a larger loop, which was more flexible than the stock blade lines.

I like the stopper ball the most . I have used with just a ring and it works well . Ozone stopper is great but heavy. You can also use a small rope washer between ball and knot to prevent wear . These washers can be found used to provide a knot to lock clamcleats, or for locking a non-safety front line. Not sure what their called , it’s just small loop of leader line .
These users thanked the author vakiter for the post:
Kite Dependent (Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:27 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”