Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

For all foil kite riders
User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 11353
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark
Has thanked: 540 times
Been thanked: 708 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:45 pm

Sceotend wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:16 pm
One should test similarly used kites against each other. Peak 5 might me a better kite than Peak 4 but part of the relative goodness might come from the fact that it's usually the newer kite in the test.

You are right.

My friends 6s are fairly new and not used much, so should be perfect for comparison.

8) Pete

Kiterdoug
Rare Poster
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:34 am
Weight: 210
Local Beach: Turtle
Lido
Skyway
Style: swell when we have it.
Gear: Armstrong
Pulsion 12
Pulsion 18
Peak 4 4m
Peak 5 6 m
Peak 5 8 m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby Kiterdoug » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:58 pm

Just got notification from my dealer, Houston Kite Boarding, that Peak 5's are arriving this week.I ordered the 6 m and 8 m as I am 100KG. Just thought I would let the forum know if anyone is looking to get one of the new ones soon. Excited to check out the difference of the new version and also how much difference for a bigger guy that the 6 m is over the 5 m which is what I have previously.

User avatar
Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:18 pm
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 218 times
Contact:

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:04 am

Allarounder wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:56 pm
Adventure Logs wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:49 pm


Still prefer the Soul over the Peak though for at the very least that I know I will be able to relaunch it. With the Peaks I find myself more cautious and won't push myself to progress because I don't want to risk swimming in. Also the Souls greatly out preforms the Peak in everything else. And when it comes down to it, I can do everything I want to do with Peak with my Soul, it's just a little more difficult to do it.
What wind range you use the soul 6m for ?
And what kites do you have along it ?

I usually pull the Soul 6m out around 15kts while hydrofoiling and I haven't hit the top end yet. Lately I haven't been messing much with line lengths and will usually foil with 15m lines. Usually though when it's nuking like 30kts+ I rather ride it with a twintip for bigair looping fun. If the wind is down the line at my favorite surf spot then I'll sometimes pull my Peak4 3m out instead if I don't feel like pushing myself and just want to have fun.

My current quiver is Soul2 6m and 8m, Sonic3 11m, Peak4 3m and Peak 5 6m. I also have a Peak5 2.5m on order. My past kites have included the Soul1 6, 8, 10, and 15m, and I've had various sizes of all the generations of the Sonics and last couple Speed generations.

As I said before, I need more time to make a full impression but so far I'm really enjoying the P5 6m more than my old P4 3m. Maybe because it's a little more manageable and its a little slower which helps me because I'm constantly actively flying my kites while I foil. The 6m I can fly basically eyes off and not worry about dropping it even when I'm screwing around

I'm trying to track someone down here in SPI that has the Peak4 in the 6m to try and let them try mine to see if we can tell the difference. Honestly I think this generation update is a lot like the Soul1 -> Soul2. The biggest improvement will be the new cloth and there are little tweaks here and there which give slight advantages over the last generation. For the most part, we aren't going to be seeing any major changes because that's going to change how the kite flies. Personally I'm happy that Flysurfer didn't just add the leading edge to this gen and will instead put out a hybrid in the future. That leading edge is going to change how the kite behaves and I don't think it will be for the best.

=Jason-
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
surfbird (Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:03 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

geron
Frequent Poster
Posts: 249
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:08 am
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Progreso,Yucatan
Gear: TT & foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 125 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby geron » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:33 pm

I do think that a hybrid is going to be better for water. It wont relaunch if a wave goes through it in shore-brake but it will make you feel more confident to try new tricks (because it will relaunch in a normal (not waves) session. (even though it has hardly touched the water)
I have the Hysper 6m and has more wind range than the peak4 5m (more high end than the peak in 5m), it is very fast and easy to loop and the drift is fantastic.
More wind range and the ability to water relaunch makes a lot of difference. I have also found that it is as easy as the peak to self launch and land on the beach.
These users thanked the author geron for the post (total 4):
bitxopalo (Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:46 pm) • Sceotend (Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:39 pm) • lederhosen (Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:34 pm) • a99 (Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:45 pm)
Rating: 26.67%

User avatar
Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:18 pm
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 218 times
Contact:

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:37 pm

geron wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:33 pm
I do think that a hybrid is going to be better for water. It wont relaunch if a wave goes through it in shore-brake but it will make you feel more confident to try new tricks (because it will relaunch in a normal (not waves) session. (even though it has hardly touched the water)
I have the Hysper 6m and has more wind range than the peak4 5m (more high end than the peak in 5m), it is very fast and easy to loop and the drift is fantastic.
More wind range and the ability to water relaunch makes a lot of difference. I have also found that it is as easy as the peak to self launch and land on the beach.
I'm waiting to see but the only real benifit I will see with the leading edge is relaunching. I think we will see a decrease in drift performance due to this and honestly, that's the whole point of the Peak. Remember, Flysurfer started out with the original Peak proto WITH the dual skin leading edge and determined it didn't preform as well and went the direct it did.

Who really knows though what it will be, I personally haven't seen any spy pics/details. A big difference I think will be this hybrid will be design specifically for kitefoiling while the Peaks still are primary designed for snowkiting. We might be blown away with what they come out with.
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post (total 3):
Peter_Frank (Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:43 pm) • a99 (Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:45 pm) • abel (Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:35 pm)
Rating: 20%

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:10 am
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 403 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby a99 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:47 pm

geron wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:33 pm
I do think that a hybrid is going to be better for water. It wont relaunch if a wave goes through it in shore-brake but it will make you feel more confident to try new tricks (because it will relaunch in a normal (not waves) session. (even though it has hardly touched the water)
I have the Hysper 6m and has more wind range than the peak4 5m (more high end than the peak in 5m), it is very fast and easy to loop and the drift is fantastic.
More wind range and the ability to water relaunch makes a lot of difference. I have also found that it is as easy as the peak to self launch and land on the beach.
I'm sorry what kite do you mean Hysper 6m? I haven't found such in google. Do you mean Crazyfly hyper? probably not?

geron
Frequent Poster
Posts: 249
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:08 am
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Progreso,Yucatan
Gear: TT & foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 125 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby geron » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:00 pm

It is from a company in ukrane SKY COUNTRY

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1157
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:20 pm
Gear: many kites, also diy
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 59 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby kitexpert » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:48 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:04 am
Honestly I think this generation update is a lot like the Soul1 -> Soul2. The biggest improvement will be the new cloth and there are little tweaks here and there which give slight advantages over the last generation. For the most part, we aren't going to be seeing any major changes because that's going to change how the kite flies. Personally I'm happy that Flysurfer didn't just add the leading edge to this gen and will instead put out a hybrid in the future. That leading edge is going to change how the kite behaves and I don't think it will be for the best.

=Jason-
Pretty weird opinion when for once there is significant changes compared to earlier version and you can even see they make kite better. :roll:

LIke I said earlier cloth is not very important factor especially in SS kite which relies so much on line support and stiffeners to keep it in shape.

Even if single skin kite was made 200g dacron it wouldn't make it not to flutter when depowered, because there is no rigidity then. There is no structure, just a fabric and loose lines

There is a risk in hybrid kites they combine bad properties of both foil kites and single skin kites in one kite. Structurally hybrids get closer to LEI kite

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 11353
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark
Has thanked: 540 times
Been thanked: 708 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:46 pm

I have no idea in this very respect, can only say that generally I agree, combinations are usually the worst of both worlds combined, and not the best of both like desired.

Just like hydrofoil waveboards and shortboards combined, or waveboards and twintips combined (Mutants) - both turned out to be the worst of both and never really worked well :roll:

8) Peter

User avatar
Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:18 pm
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 218 times
Contact:

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:43 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:48 pm


LIke I said earlier cloth is not very important factor especially in SS kite which relies so much on line support and stiffeners to keep it in shape.

Even if single skin kite was made 200g dacron it wouldn't make it not to flutter when depowered, because there is no rigidity then. There is no structure, just a fabric and loose lines

There is a risk in hybrid kites they combine bad properties of both foil kites and single skin kites in one kite. Structurally hybrids get closer to LEI kite
Kitexpert, do you even own a Peak or rode one?

I disagree that cloth is not very important. This TX is stiffer and that does make a difference. While a tradition dual skin foil has air pressure to keeps its shape, especially during slack lines, the single skin doesn't have this. Yes the bridle makes up for a lot of that but still the fabric is what holds this all together and you can see the TX fabric making a difference in that. It doesn't ballon as much between bridle attachment point which makes the wing canopy much smoother. Also on complete slack lines(which this kite is designed to drift) you can obviously see the TX holds its shape better.

I still haven't been able to compare with a P4 6m, my shoulder has been killing me, but then it will be easier to show the difference.

The bridle attachments most likely are a slight improvement but I question if this was changed more due to the different characteristics of the new fabric.

Now I'm no "Expert" but I do aeronautical degree and understand this stuff pretty well. Also I go by my pretty good experience flying a lot of these foils and I'm just explaining what I've observed ACTUALLY owning these kites and flying them in very different environments.

=Jason-


Return to “Foil Kites”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests