Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kiterange update for more kiteloop progression, Edge v10/ Orbit

Forum for kitesurfers
tizzleberg
Rare Poster
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:34 pm
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Airtyle
Gear: North Orbit 8m + 9m + 11m
Flysurfer Sonic 3 13m
Flysurfer Sonic 2 18m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Kiterange update for more kiteloop progression, Edge v10/ Orbit

Postby tizzleberg » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:02 pm

Hey guys,
i am considering adding 1 or 2 Orbits to my Kiterange for 2022 to focus on progessing my kiteloops.
Looking to add Rotations and Grabs maybe even a Onefooter?
Currently i use my 10m Edge v10 for most of my loops. It just fits the wind we get the best. I am around 80kg.
I also have an 8m Edge which loops great but i feel less comfortable learning more technical stuff with it.
I want to keep the 8m Edge for those stormy Days and get the woo scores ;). But i am considering selling the 10.
Also my next Kite is the 13 Sonic so i feel like i ride the 10m quite often pretty underpowered. So i guess adding an 11m might be a good idea.
I have heard that the 11m Orbit works pretty well for loops but then again the Edge is more fun towards the lower end of the Windrange.

So now i dont know which size Orbit would work best for my looping progression.
My Thoughts so far:
-8m Edge, 9m Orbit, 11 Orbit
-8m Edge, 9 and/or 10m Orbit, 11 Edge
-8m Edge, 9m Orbit, 10m Edge, (11 Orbit?)
-8m Edge, 10m Orbit
Thanks alot.

User avatar
dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 812
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:37 am
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Crandon - Key Biscayne, FL
Sherman Island - Antioch, CA
Crissy Field - San Francisco, CA
Anne's Beach - Islamorada, FL
Curry Hammocks - Marathon, FL
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Main Beach - Langebaan, South Africa
Mui Ne Bay - Ham Tien, Vietnam
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: _
2020 10m Rebel, 2021 10m Dice, 2022 Dice SLS 12m Dice, 2020 13m Rebel, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com
Location: Maui, HI
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 51 times
Contact:

Re: Kiterange update for more kiteloop progression, Edge v10/ Orbit

Postby dracop » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:18 pm

Your selections are inverted.

Smaller kites are better for learning kiteloops and Orbits are good at kiteloops. High AR kites like the Edge are better as you get into lighter wind.

The larger kite should be the Edge and the smaller ones the Orbit.

An 8m Orbit (or other kiteloop kite like a Dice or Supermodel) with a 10m Edge is great windrange coverage. You do not need both an 8m and 9m Orbit unless you kite ALOT and its worth it to pay twice for that small difference. Especially since you would have a 10m Edge which has a huge windrange.
These users thanked the author dracop for the post (total 2):
Archer77 (Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:19 pm) • andrzej351 (Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:49 pm)
Rating: 13.33%

tizzleberg
Rare Poster
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:34 pm
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Airtyle
Gear: North Orbit 8m + 9m + 11m
Flysurfer Sonic 3 13m
Flysurfer Sonic 2 18m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Kiterange update for more kiteloop progression, Edge v10/ Orbit

Postby tizzleberg » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:06 am

Hey thanks for your reply, obviously smaller kites loop better. And in 8m the Edge loops really well already. Also jumps the highest.

I am looking for a Kite that will allow me to loop easily (and catch even with small steering mistakes when doing late backs etc) in lower winds since we rarely get enough wind for the 8m.
Probably the best size Orbit for loops will be the 9m.
And maybe the 11m will allow me to progress even in lighter winds where the 10m Edge would be barely enough.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 621
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 4:47 am
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
2020/21/22/ Orbits
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 207 times

Re: Kiterange update for more kiteloop progression, Edge v10/ Orbit

Postby Blackened » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:00 am

tizzleberg wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:02 pm
Hey guys,
i am considering adding 1 or 2 Orbits to my Kiterange for 2022 to focus on progessing my kiteloops.
Looking to add Rotations and Grabs maybe even a Onefooter?
Currently i use my 10m Edge v10 for most of my loops. It just fits the wind we get the best. I am around 80kg.
I also have an 8m Edge which loops great but i feel less comfortable learning more technical stuff with it.
I want to keep the 8m Edge for those stormy Days and get the woo scores ;). But i am considering selling the 10.
Also my next Kite is the 13 Sonic so i feel like i ride the 10m quite often pretty underpowered. So i guess adding an 11m might be a good idea.
I have heard that the 11m Orbit works pretty well for loops but then again the Edge is more fun towards the lower end of the Windrange.

So now i dont know which size Orbit would work best for my looping progression.
My Thoughts so far:
-8m Edge, 9m Orbit, 11 Orbit
-8m Edge, 9 and/or 10m Orbit, 11 Edge
-8m Edge, 9m Orbit, 10m Edge, (11 Orbit?)
-8m Edge, 10m Orbit
Thanks alot.
The 11m Orbit will maybe only add a knot more low end over the 10m Edge. However, it loops way better. The 11m Orbit is my most used kite, where I can do small loops in 20kn on a 138x41 Atmos (97kg). A couple other guys in the mid 80s do small loops on a big board in like 18kn.

On the smaller kite size, an 8m edge is likely only a slightly higher windrange than the Orbit 9m. The Orbit is probably way easier to loop. Most of my progression happens on my 9m.

Does this help you at all? No :). If you want to move more into looping, then swap for an 11/9m combo of Orbits. Personally, I'd just get the 9/11 Orbit combo, then decide what I prefer to use and sell the others. I suspect you'll end up doing exactly what you said - selling the 10m and keeping the 8m for storm day. It's simply a better booster than the Orbit.
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post:
tizzleberg (Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:52 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

User avatar
Shaun_Bennett_NAG
Rare Poster
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:39 pm
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 165
Local Beach: Naples
Favorite Beaches: Cape town, Hood River, OBX, St Pete FL
Style: Big Air / Kite Loops
Gear: North Orbit / 138 North Atmos / Mystic Stealth Harness
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding / Mystic
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Kiterange update for more kiteloop progression, Edge v10/ Orbit

Postby Shaun_Bennett_NAG » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:19 pm

Hello!
I do love kite loops, 10 meters are always the last size kite I would like to loop, although the 10 Orbit is very fast and loops amazing for a 10 but its still a 10m. If you really love loops you definitely should own a 9m. I have ridden the Edge and do believe that the North Kites have about 1/2 the bar pressure making it manageable when overpowered. I know it's frustrating not having enough power on the 10m but really all the underpowered days are just practice for the absolutely lit days. I do all my rotation loop tricks on 7, 8, and 9m Orbit and Reach. Oddly enough I only do regular loops on the 10m. The 9m Orbit lets me practice loops in 20kts comfortably and then do the same when it's 30kts. After that I go to the 8m and once it's hitting 40-45 the 7m is ideal. Yes you could hold down the 9 in 40 but it's less manageable as the 8 or 7. Looping the 10m happens when it's just too light for the 9. So for the real deal kite loops and rotations you want to be on the sweet sizes 7,8,9. 10 and up is usually sketchier to loop and is only practice for me. I've looped the 12m and have been caught but it's mostly playing around. Your 9/11 combo would be perfect but I use the 11m mostly as a big air kite. I still loop it but with different intentions then when I'm on the "right" sizes. Even if you feel like you might be underpowered I promise you will progress more with a 9m. Get the 9/11 and you will have the best of both worlds.
These users thanked the author Shaun_Bennett_NAG for the post (total 2):
SENDIT! (Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:23 pm) • windsuks (Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:37 pm)
Rating: 13.33%

250beinaesse
Rare Poster
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:31 pm
Gear: Doutone, Ozone, Fone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Kiterange update for more kiteloop progression, Edge v10/ Orbit

Postby 250beinaesse » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:16 pm

Please also be aware that, especially with the Orbit, it is difficult to compare the just the plain square meters. As an example North recommends for the 10m Orbit 2kts more than the 9m Reach.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 621
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 4:47 am
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
2020/21/22/ Orbits
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 207 times

Re: Kiterange update for more kiteloop progression, Edge v10/ Orbit

Postby Blackened » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:01 am

Shaun_Bennett_NAG wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:19 pm
Hello!
I do love kite loops, 10 meters are always the last size kite I would like to loop, although the 10 Orbit is very fast and loops amazing for a 10 but its still a 10m. If you really love loops you definitely should own a 9m. I have ridden the Edge and do believe that the North Kites have about 1/2 the bar pressure making it manageable when overpowered. I know it's frustrating not having enough power on the 10m but really all the underpowered days are just practice for the absolutely lit days. I do all my rotation loop tricks on 7, 8, and 9m Orbit and Reach. Oddly enough I only do regular loops on the 10m. The 9m Orbit lets me practice loops in 20kts comfortably and then do the same when it's 30kts. After that I go to the 8m and once it's hitting 40-45 the 7m is ideal. Yes you could hold down the 9 in 40 but it's less manageable as the 8 or 7. Looping the 10m happens when it's just too light for the 9. So for the real deal kite loops and rotations you want to be on the sweet sizes 7,8,9. 10 and up is usually sketchier to loop and is only practice for me. I've looped the 12m and have been caught but it's mostly playing around. Your 9/11 combo would be perfect but I use the 11m mostly as a big air kite. I still loop it but with different intentions then when I'm on the "right" sizes. Even if you feel like you might be underpowered I promise you will progress more with a 9m. Get the 9/11 and you will have the best of both worlds.
I wish I could ride a 9m in 20kn. God I hate you light people.

There's a guy here who does double back board offs on it. You just need to make absolutely sure you're hitting 7-8m on normal boosts or doing really high/tight loops. If you don't or make a mistake, there's not a lot of margin for error to recover (I say still in pain from trying to learn board off loops on it).

tizzleberg
Rare Poster
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:34 pm
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Airtyle
Gear: North Orbit 8m + 9m + 11m
Flysurfer Sonic 3 13m
Flysurfer Sonic 2 18m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Kiterange update for more kiteloop progression, Edge v10/ Orbit

Postby tizzleberg » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:27 pm

Okay so i am getting a 9m Orbit for progression for sure.
And then the 11 for lighter Wind fooling around and maybe the odd loop or two. Basically what i am currently using my 10 for. Then i will see which i am going to keep.

Thanks alot for your input. :)

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 547
Joined: Sat May 05, 2018 9:30 am
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: Kiterange update for more kiteloop progression, Edge v10/ Orbit

Postby SolarSet » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:15 pm

Isn’t that better to have Reach in size >10m for looping? It surely should loop faster

User avatar
Shaun_Bennett_NAG
Rare Poster
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:39 pm
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 165
Local Beach: Naples
Favorite Beaches: Cape town, Hood River, OBX, St Pete FL
Style: Big Air / Kite Loops
Gear: North Orbit / 138 North Atmos / Mystic Stealth Harness
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding / Mystic
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Kiterange update for more kiteloop progression, Edge v10/ Orbit

Postby Shaun_Bennett_NAG » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:02 pm

tizzleberg wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:27 pm
Okay so i am getting a 9m Orbit for progression for sure.
And then the 11 for lighter Wind fooling around and maybe the odd loop or two. Basically what i am currently using my 10 for. Then i will see which i am going to keep.

Thanks alot for your input. :)
Yes the 9 is sick and the 11 is sick too for big Air. If you are doing practice loops on the 11 then you will be primed for the 9m when it's windy windy! I have looped the 11 and get caught with the bar on the wide setting. Even on the 12. But I always know that it's not a real deal loop and just practice for the big 9m days.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Gonzavala, Google [Bot] and 8 guests