Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: First surfboard

Postby Slappysan » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:09 pm

mplamplampla wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:11 am
I was thinking of getting a shinnster for my first strapless board and use it also for light wind days. Any thoughts?
The Shinnster is an excellent first surfboard choice, one of the best that will allow you to progress right away. It also has crazy flex which helps eat the chop. On top of that its snowboard construction will take much more abuse. The only real fault with the Shinnster is the weight, but that only matters once you start doing airs. As far as LW riding the Shinnster isn't an amazing LW choice, it's still fun in LW and it's super smooth but it's low end isn't going to match that of wider boards and the hyper flexiness of the Shinnster doesn't help in LW either.

For first surfboards I recommend:
- forget straps, they get in the way and add weight
- get a board that rides backwards very well and wax the nose as sometimes you'll want to change directions quickly without doing a jibe/tack (the Shinnster rides amazing backwards BTW)
- get a wide board, width gives stability and a wide board will be much easier to learn foot switches. Width is also the primary attribute for LW (not length)
- stay away from sharp fins
These users thanked the author Slappysan for the post (total 2):
alford (Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:54 am) • mplamplampla (Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:00 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:21 am

If you want a board for lighter winds, get one of the so-called potato-chip boards or something resembling the Steve Lis fish designs.

These designs are short and very wide, and have very little rocker, so they can go fast very easily at the expense of super quick maneuverability, which is exactly what you need if you are trying to ride underpowered on a kite in flat water or midsized chop or mushy waves.

They can also work very well in real waves if you have the balls to rig a kite that is maybe a bit smaller than what all the cool kids are riding.

As for the Shinster, I sort of get it, but it is nothing like a having real surfboard.

A real surf board drives off the fins, not the rails.

If you are into that (driving the board off the rails) you might as well just try a skimboard or alaia

… All of them can surf, but it depends on your skill level and what you really want and need.
These users thanked the author Trent hink for the post:
mplamplampla (Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:02 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

kct
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2039
Local Beach: Long Beach
Gear: Switchblade

Postby kct » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:54 am

I used a $100 Craigslist surfboard for a few dozen sessions. It has loads of pressure dents but otherwise it's been holding up fine. If it ever properly breaks I'll replace it with another similar board.

I'm sure the kite specific boards are good but I've not been able to justify the price given the huge surfboard market here in southern California

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:39 pm

I had a great experience learning on an "old' North Nugget 5'2 (before they became duotone). It was a wider board with more volume, that worked well in really light winds. I learned to ride it on flatter water, and then eventually took it out on smaller waves. I'm not sure they make anything like that anymore, maybe its their new Fish design.
These users thanked the author bkkite for the post:
alford (Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:27 am)

mplamplampla
Medium Poster
Gear: Switch 9m

Postby mplamplampla » Tue May 03, 2022 1:28 pm

Firstly, I 'd like to thank everybody that contributed to the discussion (that I kind of hijacked). I also found a good offer for an rrd ace v1 (at the simple lte construction) . It is short but wide with plenty of volume. As I understand it will be good for lightwind (they say little rocker) and plenty of width so easy for a beginner. Am I right? Does anyone have any impression or review of the board? Lastly, do you think it will be able to handle the chop at a toleratable level? I know it won't be as good as a tt or shinnster.

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Sun May 08, 2022 11:37 pm

The type of board you are looking at can handle just about any chop state.

The downside is, if you want to use it in rough conditions, you will probably have to go slower than you might like, and/or rig a kite much smaller than everyone else around you.

From my experience, this type of board will work very fine in up to waist-high wave faces, and a bit more than that if the wind is making the waves mushy.

Beyond that, It can get a bit dicy...
These users thanked the author Trent hink for the post:
mplamplampla (Mon May 09, 2022 2:06 pm)

mplamplampla
Medium Poster
Gear: Switch 9m

Postby mplamplampla » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:18 pm

Well I finally got the rrd ace v1. Because it is wide , it helps a lot. I am struggling to learn even at this one so happy that I didn't get anything smaller. One of the problems is that it has a front and a back pad , but I put my back foot always (except the turns) in front of the back pad where it is slippery so I 'd like to add a pad. I tried to find and I can find only front and back pads. Can anyone suggest any company at Europe (Greece even better) that sells piece of surf pads or has anybody else any other suggestion?
PS I'd like to avoid wax.

zlatko23
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 70
Favorite Beaches: Keros(Limnos)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter 5m², Ozone Enduro V3 7/11m²&V4 9m², CrazyFly Raptor LTD, Appletree Malus Domestica 5'1"

Postby zlatko23 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:17 pm

@mplamplampla - the easiest and cheapest option I have found is buying some self adhesive rubber pads from Amazon(https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HF3C1K5), then cutting and gluing them myself. Below is the final result, all the orange pieces I glued additionally.
And congrats for the new board! :D :thumb:
Attachments
surfboard.jpg

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:48 pm

How did it go alford?

It has been 3 months now, what did you get, and how are you progressing?

Often we dont see the outcome of these threads, which is a shame :wink:

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”