Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

wainman 3.1 9m (2016) any opinions?

Postby glasso » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:03 pm

looking at a cheap deal on a 9m

this model

https://store.wainmanhawaii.com/kites/8 ... -kite.html

think that it might have been the last version of this kite with improved bar-> version 3.1

9m, 3 strut

does anyone have experience of this kite and pros and cons?

mikewang
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Maui
Style: Pro n00b
Gear: Naish 6m/9m.

Re: wainman 3.1 9m (2016) any opinions?

Postby mikewang » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:43 pm

I would not recommend this kite. I had the 9M for many years. It works for a beginner since high performance is not important. But for more performance (ie. fast turning, jump higher), there are better kites. I'd recommend Naish or Reedin. Everyone has their preference but I at least won't recommend Wainman. It's kind of a pig in the air. Yes it can ride well with an experienced rider, but that same experienced rider would ride even better on a different kite.

nherbold
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Ilha do Guajiru, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...

Postby nherbold » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:59 pm

While I totally respect Mike's opinion I couldn't disagree more as the Rabbit is my favourite kite to ride, especially the 9!.
True it is not a big jumping machine and if that's your pursuit than indeed go for a jumping machine like the XR or something.

I love the Rabbits while on a strapless board as it drifts well. Also responds very well to unhooked riding but that is not everyone's cup of tea.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:56 pm

I would love one as well if I could find a new never used one that is. One of the best wave kites ever made. The drift was amazing on them. Not everyone wants a pure jumping kite and yes kites are better now than from 10 years ago. I learned on Rabbits they were great. I prefer faster lower aspect kites personally. This is why I love my North Reach kites and the Orbit because they are fast and active kites.

glasso
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dollymount, Dublin
Favorite Beaches: Dollymount, Cabarete, Sotovento, Ras Sudr
Style: Freestyle

Postby glasso » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:27 am

Appreciate your opinions!

So it appears that its main strengths lie in the waves?

So it's not good for boosting.

And it's slow turning? (for a 9m)?

How would you rate it on wind range for 12st / 80kg rider?

it's a lightly used 3.1 model going cheap in Europe 2nd hand - main reason that I'm considering it

nherbold
Frequent Poster

Postby nherbold » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:11 am

I'd say the kite is great for waves and has awesome grunt. Also one of the few kites you could still connect straight to the LE and don't use any bridles (yes I am that old) Of course you can jump high with it (personal record is 27 meter), but for sure there are other kites that will fly higher so if your aim is to go as high as you can, you don't really ride waves and you don't unhook...well it is still an awesome kite but maybe not what you are looking for.

In my experience...kiters that rode this kite either loved it or hated it

Tell you what...you get down to Brazil this season and I will gladly buy it off you .... can always more rabbits

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:45 pm

the rabbits were the best kites for wave/boost combo i've ever used. the smoke (9m) was fast for a 9m. i used mine till they all died from old age. the one thing they didn't excel at was going upwind. but i still have never found a kite that suited me more than the rabbit lineup, though as others have said, it's personal taste.

glasso
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dollymount, Dublin
Favorite Beaches: Dollymount, Cabarete, Sotovento, Ras Sudr
Style: Freestyle

Postby glasso » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:13 pm

nherbold wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:11 am
I'd say the kite is great for waves and has awesome grunt. Also one of the few kites you could still connect straight to the LE and don't use any bridles (yes I am that old) Of course you can jump high with it (personal record is 27 meter), but for sure there are other kites that will fly higher so if your aim is to go as high as you can, you don't really ride waves and you don't unhook...well it is still an awesome kite but maybe not what you are looking for.

In my experience...kiters that rode this kite either loved it or hated it

Tell you what...you get down to Brazil this season and I will gladly buy it off you .... can always more rabbits
not likely to be in Brazil this year and haven't bought this kite (as of yet).

any idea on real-world wind range? (knots for weight? - e.g. 16 to 33 knots for 80kg)

nherbold
Frequent Poster

Postby nherbold » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:25 am

True...upwind it's not the best, but then again I rode them mostly in Brazil so plenty of wind to not have to worry about that.

True wind range of the kite is difficult to say as a lot will also depend on other factors (air density, current etc). And obviously skill and individual ride style and comfort level. On a surfboard I can get going with the 9 in probably 14 knots (I weigh 74), but my preferred setup with boots I probably want it to be at least 18.. and will ride it up to 35, although depending on what tricks I wanna do I might size down to the 7.5.

And dead serous about wanting another one..still have 2 9's but both are at the end of their life. I ride my kites until they die..and each rabbit deserves it's own burial ceremony haha. Got friends that are heading to Brazil later this year??

sewerrat
Rare Poster
Local Beach: north of santa cruz

Postby sewerrat » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:07 pm

The Smoke is a fantastic kite if you want to know what kites were like way back in the day... It's an homage to everything Lou, Franz and gang. It power loops with serious pull, works decent in the surf, handles gusts well, and is a very well behaved kite. There are much better kites out there now, but not necessarily any more fun! If you put longer lines on it, it will boost quite high, and playing around with the bridle points makes a big difference for offshore vs. onshore wave riding. Can't imagine it has any monitary value though...

Return to “Kitesurfing”