Local Beach: Long Beach, CT
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Park, FL
Style: freestyle
Gear: Best, Core, LF
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Mauritius info

Postby tanre » Tue May 10, 2022 12:04 pm

I'm heading to Mauritius for about 4 months (or more... June-Oct). Wondering if you can give me some advice. Cost is a HUGE factor.

I sent Nico a PM...

I weigh 85kilos. Kitesurfer, TwinTip and foiler. Please let me know if you think the following is good to bring:

Foil: 6.2M, 8.0M 10.4M and 12M

TwinTip and Surf: 8M, 10M and 12M(different kites than for foil).

Optimally, I would like to leave the 12M foil kite(normally used 4-10 knots...but VERY helpful when no one else is kiting:)) and the 8.0M Twintip kite (only use it when over 30 knots).

Bringing shorty wetsuit, but also contemplating bringing 3.2 full?
Is the 3/2 needed?

Water half booties 2M (the open kind) or full 5M booties(scuba)?

What do you think, Thanks for the help.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Re: Mauritius info

Postby bigtone667 » Wed May 11, 2022 9:46 am

I went in June 2017..... I took a 5m, 8m, 10m, 13m strutless kites. A 150x50 door, Nomad TT, North Nugget, Evo .... I kited 550km in the 11 days I was there and used every piece of equipment I took.

A number of guys only took 10m and 8m kites plus surf boards and they missed out on a few days.

Taking a foil is a good idea but be super careful around the coral heads, they are foil killers.

Ero7
Medium Poster

Postby Ero7 » Wed May 11, 2022 10:31 am

I went in July, a few years ago.

Air temp was around 20 Celcius.
First two days I was kiting in just boardshorts from sunrise to sunset and realized my whole body was in strange pain... just miserable feeling that everything was hurting in the body.
Then I realized it was from the constant windchill (20 degrees air temp + 20-30 knots wind all day) - muscles stay chilled all the time, didn't relax at at all.
I am very cold tolerant and usually would never touch any kind on neoprene if the air is 20 degrees.

Put on my 3/2 full wetsuit (I didn't have a shorty) the next day and boy that felt like a paradise.
So... take the shorty (that's probably a must) and if you have room, take a 3/2mm suit too.

As for the gear, especially for a long run, take all the sh (all sizes, all kinds) you are able to pack.
There will be light days, there will no wind days, there will be no wave days, etc.
Scuba diving is absolutely phenomenal in Mauritius, btw (so take gear for that too)...

Here are some visuals I compiled from that trip:

https://smartextreme.com

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Wed May 11, 2022 7:19 pm

I have been there in July-Aug 2013 and 2016. If you intend to kite every single day possible you have to take all kites. If you don't mind missing days I would skip both the 12 and 10.4 kite. I only had 6 and 9 the first year and 7 and 9 second year with a surfboard. Usually it's 20-30 knots there. 2013 was more around 30 knots and used my 6 most of the time and in 2016 most of the days closer to 20 knots so used my 9 most of the time. I'm 95 kg and was on a 6'0 the first year and on a 5'10 surfboard the second year.
I thought it was mostly at least 15 knot+ days or almost no wind at all when I was there. I only kited Le Morne. If you're considering going around the island to other spots it probably is completely different. I would definitely not leave your 8 at home if you intend to use that with a surfboard. If you only plan to use those kites with a TT and can manage a 10 in 30 knots comfortably you might be ok,

I never used booties so you should be fine with 2 mm half booties. I kited in shorts and lycra on the sunny days and shorts and long sleeve thermal fleece when it was cloudy. It never felt cold. A shorty should be fine as it will be warmer than my setup. I'm used to kite in a colder nordic climate but hate swimming in cold water.

tanre
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach, CT
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Park, FL
Style: freestyle
Gear: Best, Core, LF

Postby tanre » Thu May 12, 2022 9:50 am

magnusod wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 7:19 pm
I have been there in July-Aug 2013 and 2016. If you intend to kite every single day possible you have to take all kites. If you don't mind missing days I would skip both the 12 and 10.4 kite. I only had 6 and 9 the first year and 7 and 9 second year with a surfboard. Usually it's 20-30 knots there. 2013 was more around 30 knots and used my 6 most of the time and in 2016 most of the days closer to 20 knots so used my 9 most of the time. I'm 95 kg and was on a 6'0 the first year and on a 5'10 surfboard the second year.
I thought it was mostly at least 15 knot+ days or almost no wind at all when I was there. I only kited Le Morne. If you're considering going around the island to other spots it probably is completely different. I would definitely not leave your 8 at home if you intend to use that with a surfboard. If you only plan to use those kites with a TT and can manage a 10 in 30 knots comfortably you might be ok,

I never used booties so you should be fine with 2 mm half booties. I kited in shorts and lycra on the sunny days and shorts and long sleeve thermal fleece when it was cloudy. It never felt cold. A shorty should be fine as it will be warmer than my setup. I'm used to kite in a colder nordic climate but hate swimming in cold water.
Thank you. I am thinking I will leave the 12M foil kite behind. As for the 8M kite, I only use it over 30kts. Im sure I could get away with using my cloud kites (8M and 10.4) on surfboard if the wind is too much for my 10M TT kite. So, I guess now Im asking if the 8M is worth it...how often does it blow over 30kts June-Oct?

Will bring 3/2 if I have enough room...thanks.

Ero7
Medium Poster

Postby Ero7 » Thu May 12, 2022 11:10 am

tanre wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 9:50 am
So, I guess now Im asking if the 8M is worth it...how often does it blow over 30kts June-Oct?

Will bring 3/2 if I have enough room...thanks.
I would take 8m, it might be your "to go" kite for the whole time (fingers crossed).
Some summers (actually, winters in Mauritius) are light, some are are super windy, you never know. But it will definitely be quite a few 30+ knt days.

Use 3/2mm suit as padding for your boards... best travel protection for your gear.

https://smartextreme.com

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Fri May 13, 2022 11:59 am

tanre wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 9:50 am
magnusod wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 7:19 pm

So, I guess now Im asking if the 8M is worth it...how often does it blow over 30kts June-Oct?
It's almost impossible to answer as it varies from year to year. So you have an 8 and 10.4 Cloud. What type of kite is the 6.2? If that's a Cloud also I guess you can use that one with your surfboard in stronger winds. Bear in mind that Le Morne is a world class wave spot, probably one of the best in the world, and I would be gutted if I missed one single day with perfect waves and strong winds.

We are all different but I would not care much if I missed 20 days of below 15 knot but would be devastated if I missed one day of stronger winds and nice waves. Of course, waves on Mauritius are not dependent of wind but I find it difficult moving around in bigger waves if the wind is really light.

Return to “Kitesurfing”