Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

SLS vs non-SLS (Evo) - long-term durability, construction (thinner bladders?)

Forum for kitesurfers
andikite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 77
Local Beach: Matalascañas, Huelva, Spain
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Cádiz, Spain
Caños de Meca, Cádiz, Spain
Isla Canela, Huelva, Spain
Matalascañas, Huelva, Spain
Style: Strapless
Gear: Duotone Dice 6, 9, 12.
Duotone Clickbar 22-24
Duotone whip SLS 5'1
Mystic Majestic 2020 Harness
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: SLS vs non-SLS (Evo) - long-term durability, construction (thinner bladders?)

Postby andikite » Mon May 16, 2022 10:38 pm

dpublic wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 5:59 pm
Hi
Can I ask you guys for an honest review/feedback on the SLS subject? I mean there is a ****load of generic "oh-wow" "reviews" on the matter which doesn't do any service to the community - all these look like a shamelessly generic sponsored material... What I mean is that after going through almost all North/Duotone models (Evo, Dice, Vegas+Neo) I'm looking for a really durable gear (Evo) that I will get old with (aborting my Vegas romance to make this happen :)

What I fished out from the marketing blurb keeps me questioning the durability of the SLS variant, hence questions

1. I can see Penta TX replacing Trinity TX - I think all good in the rip-stop department (5 filaments vs 3) - but the density had to be significantly lower (to achieve the advertised weight loss) - I guess age-related wear-and-tear, UV destruction and micro-damages will be faaaaar worse on the SLS?

2. Thinner bladders on the Evo SLS - is this true??? - this looks like an accident waiting to happen, right?

3. Any other comments on the subject of durability? Preferably some honest input from a rental with huge sample of ill-treated equipment (but I understand that it may be difficult to write openly).

Best regards
There is a mystake in your post. Penta TX is not a replacement of Trinity TX. Penta TX is the fabric of leading edge and struts which replaces normal Dacron. SLS kites still use Trinity TX in ripstop/canopy.

I have been using my Dices SLS quiver during several months and durability seems the same.
These users thanked the author andikite for the post:
dpublic (Mon May 16, 2022 10:43 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

dpublic
Rare Poster
Gear: Vegas/Neo

Re: SLS vs non-SLS (Evo) - long-term durability, construction (thinner bladders?)

Postby dpublic » Mon May 16, 2022 10:42 pm

SpaceRacer wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 5:23 pm
I think it is weird that there have been no replies on this question. I cannot comment on the performance of SLS as I have not ridden one but as a dedicated North/DT rider since 2008 I still have kites that are 10 years old, well used and still in good shape so unless the SLS blow the doors off of non-SLS in the performance category I can't imagine that they are far more superior in durability. MHO
The thing is that it looks like their kites generations from ~2013 to ~2019 were build in a more solid way (more reinforcements - I can fully confirm this on my Vegases + Neos - the latter got broken in half but only after it received a high-five from o slabby 6m wave). Look at melias' post - for me the trailing edge in last generations look like an accident waiting to happen.
On a side note - I saw North Reach on the beach, I guess model circa 2021/2022, and it looks like a really-really solid built kite. Something like NKB/Duotone used to be. But having to zero-in on a proper model in their lineup just throws me away. As far as I understand Orbit==Rebel, Reach==Evo?

I don't like this trend in DT gear - I don't care for a 1-2 kts better low-end-per-size if that means a single tomahawk after an unsuccessful trick tears a 1.5k+ USD kite in half. Or some flapping results in weakening the trailing edge (I never leave the kite to flap on the beach if I don't actively use it, though)... These things are really pricey to break so easily.

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Mon May 16, 2022 11:53 pm

dpublic wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 10:31 pm
rnelias wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 6:07 pm
I can't say nothing about SLS versions but some non-SLS 2021 Duotone kites presented issues on the leading edge. The rip stop close to the leading edge started to present micro fractures. It seems they reduced the thickness of the leading edge turning it less resistant to flapping.
Just to make sure: @rnelias : did you mean the trailing edge (where the white dacron line is visible)? That would be fully compatible with my intuition that they wakened a critical part of the kite. Moreover the 2022 non-SLS seems to have the same weak spot, no improvement was done there :(
yeah... sorry... trailing edge. I've messed the correct english word ("bordo de fuga" in portuguese).

I'm correcting the original post for future references. Thanks!
These users thanked the author rnelias for the post:
dpublic (Tue May 17, 2022 12:01 am)

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Tue May 17, 2022 12:11 am

dpublic wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 10:42 pm

The thing is that it looks like their kites generations from ~2013 to ~2019 were build in a more solid way (more reinforcements - I can fully confirm this on my Vegases + Neos - the latter got broken in half but only after it received a high-five from o slabby 6m wave). Look at melias' post - for me the trailing edge in last generations look like an accident waiting to happen.
On a side note - I saw North Reach on the beach, I guess model circa 2021/2022, and it looks like a really-really solid built kite. Something like NKB/Duotone used to be. But having to zero-in on a proper model in their lineup just throws me away. As far as I understand Orbit==Rebel, Reach==Evo?

I don't like this trend in DT gear - I don't care for a 1-2 kts better low-end-per-size if that means a single tomahawk after an unsuccessful trick tears a 1.5k+ USD kite in half. Or some flapping results in weakening the trailing edge (I never leave the kite to flap on the beach if I don't actively use it, though)... These things are really pricey to break so easily.
The comparison is correct. I'm usually buying and selling second hand kites (kind of a hobby for me and gives me the chance to "demo" the kites without having to rely on demo days). Orbits are faster than Rebels but pulls a little less. I had an Orbit 10m 2022 and still have a Rebel 9m 2019. They both pulls practically the same and are comparable in some sense respecting 1m size difference.

Regarding kite construction, my personal observation from the kites I had/have here, Naish (Boxer), Slingshot (SST) and Elev8 (RS) (*) are the best. For reference, I should also mention other brands that I had for some time like Duotone (Rebel, Evo), North (Orbit and Reach), Ozone (Alpha) and F-One (Bandit). All of these, 2019 or newer. Never had Cores neither Cabrinhas.

(*) I don't like Elev8 bars. The kite has a solid construction but the bars get worn-out very fast.
These users thanked the author rnelias for the post:
dpublic (Tue May 17, 2022 3:14 pm)

Aberdovy kiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 83 kgs
Local Beach: West coastline of mid wales, encompassing aberdovy, harlech, borth, barmouth
Favorite Beaches: Aberdovy mid wales
Style: Freestyle, freeride
Gear: Duotone evo sls 12m
Duotone 9m evo
Duotone 7m dice
Flysurfer 15m speed delux
Nobile T5 140x44
Crazyfly raptor extreme 132x41 2023

Postby Aberdovy kiter » Tue May 17, 2022 7:23 am

I've had my 12m evo sls, 13 months, used it roughly about 30hrs (I keep a kiting diary ) I self launch mostly so kite does get dragged, usually gets landed by someone or by land anchor, i do try to progress so the kite does get crashed every session, never in big breaking swell thou, the leading edge material does seem to resist scratching and haven't noticed anything worth worrying about. The biggest complaint is the plastic spars which snapped and damaged the canopy, duotone replaced with metal ones, and the useless airport valve.
These users thanked the author Aberdovy kiter for the post:
dpublic (Tue May 17, 2022 3:14 pm)

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Thu May 19, 2022 2:41 pm

Aberdovy kiter wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 7:23 am
I've had my 12m evo sls, 13 months, used it roughly about 30hrs (I keep a kiting diary ) I self launch mostly so kite does get dragged, usually gets landed by someone or by land anchor, i do try to progress so the kite does get crashed every session, never in big breaking swell thou, the leading edge material does seem to resist scratching and haven't noticed anything worth worrying about. The biggest complaint is the plastic spars which snapped and damaged the canopy, duotone replaced with metal ones, and the useless airport valve.
Did you have a chance to compare it with a normal 2021 or later evo in 12m? I have a 2019 evo in 12m that I want to replace, kite is still fine but since it is my most used kite I'd rather replace that one before my next holiday trip. Even with good deals I think the price for the SLS is ludicrous but at the same time I am a sucker for buying the new and better thing.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Thu May 19, 2022 4:58 pm

dpublic wrote:
SpaceRacer wrote:
I think it is weird that there have been no replies on this question. I cannot comment on the performance of SLS as I have not ridden one but as a dedicated North/DT rider since 2008 I still have kites that are 10 years old, well used and still in good shape so unless the SLS blow the doors off of non-SLS in the performance category I can't imagine that they are far more superior in durability. MHO

I was very disappointed with durability of my 2017 Rebel. I posted on this before. The last durable Northone kite I had was 2017 Rebel. Now on North Reach and Carve.

Aberdovy kiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 83 kgs
Local Beach: West coastline of mid wales, encompassing aberdovy, harlech, borth, barmouth
Favorite Beaches: Aberdovy mid wales
Style: Freestyle, freeride
Gear: Duotone evo sls 12m
Duotone 9m evo
Duotone 7m dice
Flysurfer 15m speed delux
Nobile T5 140x44
Crazyfly raptor extreme 132x41 2023

Postby Aberdovy kiter » Thu May 19, 2022 6:17 pm

Exal wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 2:41 pm
Aberdovy kiter wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 7:23 am
Did you have a chance to compare it with a normal 2021 or later evo in 12m? I have a 2019 evo in 12m that I want to replace, kite is still fine but since it is my most used kite I'd rather replace that one before my next holiday trip. Even with good deals I think the price for the SLS is ludicrous but at the same time I am a sucker for buying the new and better thing.
No, previous kites where north rebels, which look after 5 years a bit battered.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Fri May 20, 2022 6:21 am

sarc wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 4:58 pm
dpublic wrote:
SpaceRacer wrote:

I was very disappointed with durability of my 2017 Rebel. I posted on this before. The last durable Northone kite I had was **2014** Rebel. Now on North Reach and Carve.

Borderreiver
Rare Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Northumberland
Favorite Beaches: Tiree
Style: Surfboard
Gear: Duotone Hybrid
Brand Affiliation: NoneDuotone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Borderreiver » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:59 pm

I am lucky enough to own the SLS and have had the benefit of trying the SLS back to back with the standard model. The SLS is better in every way due to being lighter and having a smaller leading edge, the combination makes it more stable,quicker to react and better feedback. The bladders are,to the best of my knowledge, made of the same material but are lighter due the smaller leading edge,therefore no difference in puncture resistance.
I can’t definitively give and answer as to the longevity of the new materials, time will tell, but as yet no issues at all.
IMHO,in real world kitesurfing the answer lies in the depth of your pockets. If you can justify the outlay for the SLS then you won’t be disappointed , equally the standard model is a great handling kite. Hope this helps.

Return to “Kitesurfing”