Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Jamie Overbeek - Did old school flatline? Maybe not, it might have evolved

Postby andylc » Thu May 19, 2022 10:15 am

Agree - I love watching the extreme stuff - like Red Bull Rampage for mountain biking it’s amazing to see what a tiny proportion of very talented and a bit crazy people can do with a sport. But it’s also good to see stuff that I can at least aspire to do a bad version of myself!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu May 19, 2022 1:18 pm

I know, and always have the same discussions why there aren’t any events for it.

As much as people like to see megaloops, as much they like to see Darkslides and Jesus Walks…

But, in 2012 we had an official Airstyle world championship! Sanctioned by IKA. That skippers meeting you should have seen…some of your idols would be be your idols anymore! It was the riders who basically ruined for the discipline with that skippers meeting.

So, your and others call to push the sponsors and organizers to do such events again.

I already gave GKA a good idea how to combine some stuff and make a real good show on the water, but guess another good idea not gets realized.

Sad for the young generation like you.
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
SENDIT! (Sat May 21, 2022 8:36 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Radja
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 69
Local Beach: Dahab
Style: FS, BA
Gear: Dice 2022 9, 12
Has thanked: 0

Postby Radja » Thu May 19, 2022 5:44 pm

Oldschool in any sport rulezz. I did a lot of windsurfing freestyle with newschool tricks but what people likes to see from the beach is just 3 tricks: bodydrag, downwind 360 and sometimes speedloop. That’s very oldschool.

Before winsurfing freestyle I was in snowboard big air freestyle in 90th. And I could say definitely “new school” kills popularity of snowboard bigair. Who cares about this extremely difficult multiple rotations. Normal viewer barely could understand was it 1 or 2 not even speaking about more.

Now I’m old like a mammoth shit and switches to kite in last two years. Doing some new, some old, some big air. Not a pro at all but above average. And for sure people from the beach likes only high jumps. Any kind of flips, loops or unhook don’t care nobody. There are almost the same “most wanted to watch” trick list as in windsurfing freestyle: darkslide, straight high jump (deadman is ok) and some kind of single flip - like tantrum or toeside backflip.

McLovin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 124 kg
Local Beach: The Columbia River Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Rufus & Rooster - sandy ones with smooth wind
Style: TT - Newbie Foiler
Gear: Armstrong FOIL - SS Dwarfcraft - North Code Zero 7,8 - CORE Section 4,5 XR 7,9 Ocean Rodeo RISE (A) 9/10/11 Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5(A), CARVE Imperator 151cm TT and Crazy Fly Raptor 140cm Neon TT - Ocean Rodeo Ignites Drysuit - Mystic Majestic 5/4 4/3 other stuff...
Brand Affiliation: Just stuff I like... THANKS Armie!

Postby McLovin » Thu May 19, 2022 8:43 pm

Great topic - GKA could most certainly make this a thing - since they seem to be seeking eyeballs. One idea is to make the change of having no official judges - removes all the cloak and dagger and give the power to the people.

A simple APP would let the spectators judge and score the tricks based on how cool they look. Many benefits here. INSTANT and public feedback, live scoring and moves the locus of attention to crowd pleasing tricks which may or may not be the 1120 super dipty what-ever that may be technical but nobody really cares - let me see some heavy STEEZY riders with style. I want a final with Tom Bridge v. Toby for example...

Either way it would be an EASY way to make it interactive and a FUN expression session vibe - leading to an ALL PLAY party after each event as long as you have a quorum minimum number of spectators to keep the math in line.

Any TROPHY's given for this new SERIES should obviously be called a TOBY! For keeping the stoke alive -

Just like the BAKL - just start it and it will become a thing...

See you at the next event! :thumb:

Mc

:dance:
These users thanked the author McLovin for the post:
SENDIT! (Sat May 21, 2022 8:39 pm)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu May 19, 2022 10:14 pm

yes, exactly how I would love to do it. Judges...well, got some stories to tell...always unhappy people at events...

So, make a show, and let the people decide online! This way you need to pull all tricks to please the crowd.

I suggest an event, with overall score, where riders, depending on wind, use a TT or hydrofoil. All strictly hooked of course! Freestyle has all unhooked, so of course there should be a discipline strictly hooked as well.

Using TT or hydrofoil gives organizers a bigger wind window to have events happening. And riders also options for the variety of tricks.

I suggest to GKA this idea. For me it's a big win win for everyone.

Will it happen? Young riders and industry need to push for it to make it happen. Don't stop to make noise. It's possible.
Don't count on me, I am busy filming my tricks ;-)

Good luck!
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
SENDIT! (Sat May 21, 2022 8:40 pm)

Desert kite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Geula, TLV
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Eleveight fs 9 rs 12
CS vary bar
Best TS 7
Lieuwe shotgun

Postby Desert kite » Fri May 20, 2022 12:37 am

Taking out judges will set back the sport from being recognised globally. How would the olympics see this?

Honestly seeing some events especially kota, the judges screw up alot. They have to decide on the spot and they need to judge based on what investors want to push the sport in to. Easy ie visually(board offs) and catchy(big air)
But still there is no money for underground(indie) events and the main ones need to look for the interests of kite companys and that the sport reaches the masses. How many people are going to buy new kite equipment in 2024 just to let it sit in storage? Much much more than now.
Kite companys would rather go towards that direction than people that switch gear every 1-5 years and ride as much as they can

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Fri May 20, 2022 12:55 am

Only racing will be Olympic.
The rest never.

So, doesn’t matter.

Wouldn’t you think a great show on the water without too extreme tricks would rather be interesting for new people?

Desert kite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Geula, TLV
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Eleveight fs 9 rs 12
CS vary bar
Best TS 7
Lieuwe shotgun

Postby Desert kite » Fri May 20, 2022 2:37 am

I found the gka specifically the dominican events and strapless ones very interesting and fun to watch. I dont watch many sport events anymore but i would think they are as entertaining as downhill jumping redbull circa 2010, and snowboarding was to me..

Only racing will be olympic.

Oh thats sad i was fully expecting megaloops this olympic..
Anyways if they have ski jumps and skating in the olympics why is it impossible to put big air/freestyle/wake?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri May 20, 2022 5:57 am

Always spectacular :D

I see no reason why it should only be hooked.

Unhooked sometimes deliver even more amazing jumps to watch :thumb:

As long as it doesn't become a technical dangle pass without power.

Don't keep it hooked or not, let the show deliver in every way the riders can, no restraints, just like the big air competitions :rollgrin:

8) Peter

Radja
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 69
Local Beach: Dahab
Style: FS, BA
Gear: Dice 2022 9, 12
Has thanked: 0

Postby Radja » Sat May 21, 2022 11:29 am

I like the idea of App judging it could give a second breath to sport and popularity as well. Hope some event organizers will take a look at this thread.

Return to “Kitesurfing”