StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Rodeo Start - sinker Board 34L, rider 92kg

Postby StellaBlu » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:53 pm

I keep a +10 board for light wind, but I ride a -20 80% of the time now. At 15kts or above (conservatively), the -20 is absolutely no problem whatsoever (can be easier in some conditions) and is much more fun to ride for any style of riding (wave or freestyle). Swing weight is definitely part of it, but the thinner board has better feel through the increased stiffness and efficiency (pumping is much more direct for example), and the narrower width gives you the ability to carve it much harder without stuffing the rails. Jumping is much more fun and accessible on a -20 vs the +10.

It is definitely more than mental - I can make the small board do things that I can't make the big board do.
These users thanked the author StellaBlu for the post (total 2):
Peter_Frank (Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:50 pm) • czareka (Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:01 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 160
Local Beach: Sherman Island, SF BAY CA
Style: Surf Foiler
Gear: Appletree, FONE, Mike's Lab, Peak4, Mystic, Wainman Hawaii

Postby joekitetime » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:21 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:40 pm
BOEMIX wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:59 pm
It may really bring a lot of fun to ride a sinker, cause I ride a 20l plus and 0 problems even in light winds, and I doesn't have any problems riding it till 30 knots either.

Actually a lot better question than what you might think.

I have had boards a tad below my weight, and very short.

No good IMO, unless in perfect winds - but how often do you get this?

Riding +5 litres now, works for everything (for me).

But I am not a hardcore freestyler doing loops and stuff - so is this the reason why so many (in this forum) go for ultra small sinkers?

As the swing weight is of course present, but IMO more a mental thing.
But I agree, the mental thing can be CRAZY dominant, so I get that....

Or is it because you ride in big breaking waves, and an advantage to "fight" these conditions?

Curious now...

Here, a few of the top freestylers ride small boards, but they regret when the wind drops or gets fickle - so for these it is a matter of freestyle jumping, but only as long as there is lots of wind.

8) Peter

Hey there Peter F!

I have a quiver of boards to pick from when winging. Normally winds averaging 17-21mph. I'll add some thoughts to your questions.

I weigh 72.5kg. I can barely stand to ride a 50L board, thing feels huge!
I oftentimes ride 28L, 33L, 35L, and my big board 40L. I oftentimes grab a kite if I have to go much bigger.
Forget tricks, for carving (I grew up surfing - everytime I'm out winging I pretend I'm surfing sunset beach in Hawaii, like the hours I spent doing back in high school dreaming while the teacher carried on about the importance of math). So, winging is 100% a substitute for surfing.
Every bump and hump and swell is me smacking off the lip, cutting back and floaters over the mushy section.
So, that said, here are some thoughts:
-I never swim in. I always wing straight upwind of my launch - if the wind happens to back off I can sit on my 29L board, hold the wing and drift straight back to the launch. I grab another board or wing and go straight back out.
-I don't jump. It looks stupid to me (maybe 5% look cool out there)...
-The advantage of small boards, light boards for riding and pumping is massive. Just massive. Can't be overstated how great the advantage is...
-I have no regrets whatsoever. But if I rig wrong I make quick changes to make it right...
-I ride -45 to -35 day in and day out. And it is easy!
-Lastly, because the wings have gotten so much better, it is easier than ever to fly very powered. That unlocks the ability to ride small boards.

Hope that helps a tad!

I ride kite foils too - but that is another post!
These users thanked the author joekitetime for the post:
czareka (Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:05 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:30 am

I gave the rodeo start a try on a 40l 5' kiteboard. It was never going to happen. There's no way I can get my feet together behind me on the deck to hoist me out of the water. A combination of long legs and low flexibility make this not an option for me.

I did have some success lifting one knee forward onto the board. Perhaps with a heap of power I might be able to get my other knee onto the deck.

I have been able to start the 40l using the sting bug method, but it's not easy.

Perhaps being very powered up in consistent wind might be easier. Too much power can make the stink bug start a bit more difficult because the wing can roll over during the rise to the knees.

I switched to my 87L board (+13) and had a fun couple of hours chasing waves in 35 knot winds.

I quite like the idea of using a small board (mainly for the logistics of using compact gear). At the moment it's just too easy to stick to a board with a bit of float.

czareka
Rare Poster
Weight: 92
Local Beach: Kessenich in Begium, Lake Zalew Zegrzyński, Lake Kierskie, Poland, Narty Lake Poland
Favorite Beaches: Sotavento on Fuerteventura
Brouwersdam in Holland
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Div. Armstrong Foils, Skywalker Board by Aeroboards, F One Surffoil 38L, Armstrong Wingsurf 34L Board, Su2 Boards, Sabfoil Fluente, Ozone Wings, Cabrinha Moto, Kauper-XT Falcon, Ozone Hyperlink.

Rodeo Start 2.0. Low Volume Board, Sinker Board

Postby czareka » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:09 pm

OzBungy wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:30 am
I gave the rodeo start a try on a 40l 5' kiteboard. It was never going to happen.
Just recorded Rodeo Start 2.0 which is much easier to do. No need to jump on the board anymore..

Have a look at this vid:

These users thanked the author czareka for the post (total 5):
gmasiak (Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:04 am) • StellaBlu (Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:17 am) • joekitetime (Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:57 pm) • irwe (Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:27 am) • Dontsink (Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:09 am)
Rating: 15.15%

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster

Postby StellaBlu » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:36 am

That’s nicely done and explained - but it’s pretty much the same as what I call a stinkbug. I use the same shortcut to go from sitting to kneeling while bracing the nose of the board vs the fully laying variation. One difference is how you are holding the board with two hands (vs holding with one and bracing with your elbow), but I think that has a bit to do with the wide nose on your board. I can’t really hold my boards nose like that because it is too narrow.

All of these variations are great to see and fine tune with, but Rodeo vs stinkbug is a bit semantics in my eyes. That said - rodeo is a much better name for marketing purposes!

joekitetime
Frequent Poster
Weight: 160
Local Beach: Sherman Island, SF BAY CA
Style: Surf Foiler
Gear: Appletree, FONE, Mike's Lab, Peak4, Mystic, Wainman Hawaii

Postby joekitetime » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:56 pm

Thanks for posting! That is exactly what I do, although I called it the "modified stink bug" and you called it "rodeo 2.0".

Like others have mentioned, the bend in the knees needed to go straight from sitting to kneeling for me and many others is painful and impossible. So by placing the wing and wing handle on the nose of the board it allows you to much more easily swing your legs back and around, then lift the wing and go.

Thanks for the video!
These users thanked the author joekitetime for the post:
czareka (Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:53 pm)

czareka
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kessenich in Begium, Lake Zalew Zegrzyński, Lake Kierskie, Poland, Narty Lake Poland
Brouwersdam in Holland
Gear: Div. Armstrong Foils, Skywalker Board by Aeroboards, F One Surffoil 38L, Armstrong Wingsurf 34L Board, Su2 Boards, Sabfoil Fluente, Ozone Wings, Cabrinha Moto, Kauper-XT Falcon, Ozone Hyperlink.

Postby czareka » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:52 am

Riding a small board is getting easier and easier. Now I'm starting very comfy in 12kts if no waves or currents. If so, than I need a little more wind.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:22 pm

Nice video. I noticed that you are flying a 7.0m F-one CWC wing? How do you like it? Have you flown the 8m? Thanks!
Last edited by JakeFarley on Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author JakeFarley for the post:
czareka (Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:36 pm)

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster

Postby StellaBlu » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:56 pm

czareka wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:52 am
Riding a small board is getting easier and easier. Now I'm starting very comfy in 12kts if no waves or currents. If so, than I need a little more wind.

Super smooth riding. Those wing pass tacks are really nice.

What size foil? Getting a lot of speed and glide out of it.
These users thanked the author StellaBlu for the post:
czareka (Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:36 pm)

czareka
Rare Poster
Brouwersdam in Holland

Postby czareka » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:57 pm

JakeFarley wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:22 pm
Nice video. I noticed that you are flying a 7.0m F-one CWC wing? How do you like it? Have you flown the 8m? Thanks!
Thanks! Yep, it is the 7m CWC. I like it very much. I use the 7 CWC probably most of the time.

Never tried the 8m on the water. I think the difference is not that much. I can get up with the 7m in 12kts with this small 34L board and with my 60L Board in 9kts. I'm not sure if I could go below it if I changed to 8m. 7m is easier to pump more efficiently than the 8m for me.

My buddy has 8m CWC and we are very often winging together. I'm always first wing foiling due to the pump ability.
These users thanked the author czareka for the post:
JakeFarley (Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:08 am)

Return to “Wingsurfing”