Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Duotone quality - Evo SLS 2022

Forum for kitesurfers
danlar
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 62kg
Local Beach: Santa Marianita, Ecuador
Favorite Beaches: I have kited at: Peru (Paracas, Mancora), Bresil (Cumbuco), Dominican Republic (Cabarete, Las Terrenas), Grenadines (Union Island), USA (Hatteras, Tarpon Springs), Bahamas (Exuma), Greece (Paros, Lefkada),Turks & Caicos (Long Bay)
Style: freerider, freestyle
Gear: Evo SLS 8m 2022, Rebel 9m 2020, Dice SLS 11m 2022, Neo SLS 12m 2022, Juice 15m 2020, Shinn Bronq Luigi 135/41, Jaime SLS 142/43, Cabrinha surfboard Secret Weapon
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Duotone quality - Evo SLS 2022

Postby danlar » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:58 am

I am sorry but I really don’t buy your story. It’s impossible to get this wreck just jumping. Tell us the truth dude. Been working at Cabarete for few weeks now and this happened to 2 kites (I will not say the brand but not Duotone) and both kites got stocked in beach waves pulling the students. It need alot a force to do this damage, not just jumping 🤔😳

Ventum
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Slufter/Maasvlakte - Netherlands
Gear: Kites - Ventum Xcite & Xplore
Boards - Joyrider & Karma
Bar - Tough Bar
Brand Affiliation: Owner of Ventum Kiteboarding

Postby Ventum » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:40 am

This kind of damage I have only seen when the force applied on the kite is reversed (kite inverted in wave, kite inverted in deadloop, etc). Maybe all ripped during your jump but before that it was already heavily damaged in such occasion without you noticing maybe? Ripping a sewing and material like this with the forces applied as intended is almost* impossible. Almost.... because with so many kites out there you will always have a case where the imaginary impossible happens. A person is not lying by definition because others did not have the issue ;-) Here it could be that the material is 'oversewn' to many times in manufacturing and therefore like a perforated paper(ripping)line. There is a lot of stress along the 8-10cm attachment point sewing. If that rips, the forces are also applied different and rip the piece from the tube. Nothing is impossible and customer service and designers will value all open and honest damage reports.
These users thanked the author Ventum for the post (total 4):
Havre (Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:15 am) • ham-er (Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:41 am) • nothing2seehere (Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:10 am) • Sun (Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:58 pm)
Rating: 12.12%

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:52 am

There is possibility that one of the front line loops slipped from knot, its a known issue with DT kites that knots at kite or bar are too small and it and kite had rider weight on steering lines and it caused that damage

LadaX
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Prea
Gear: Duotone/Core
Has thanked: 0

Postby LadaX » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:56 pm

Long story short:

Videos and photos were sent to Duotone, within a day Duotone categorized it as factory defect and ask me to cut the kite in half and they will provide a credit memo.

For those who are trying to figure out how it happened, the kite was not inverted, there were no waves (there are never waves in Prea, BR), the line loops did not slip from the knot, there were no more 22 knots wind, ... The other side of the kite tip looks without an issue, but sewing and gluing has mixed quality on the whole kite.
Nobody could believe it when they saw the kite on the beach. I actually thought the line has broken before I saw the kite on the beach.

I am glad it has been resolved, but it creates a trust issue with the brand and kite. If you jump over 15 metres you want to have an equipment you can trust.
Yes, every kite equipment and every brand breaks sooner or later (if you kite daily in Brazil then rather sooner), but it should not be a case for a brand new kite.
Not to mention that the kite goes immediately into death loop, when one tip of the kite gets torn off.

And yes, some brands break even faster than Duotone and many others do not. Dutone kites have nice feeling, but there is a price to be paid. :-)
These users thanked the author LadaX for the post (total 2):
Havre (Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:20 pm) • macguffin (Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:34 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:29 pm

Good to hear and well done Duotone.

Nothing that is manufactured is 100% perfect every time. Doesn't really matter if it is brand new or not then. Not to say I think it is acceptable that things just fail, equipment should obviously not fail like this very often, but the occasional random failure there isn't really anyway around.

macguffin
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Gear: Kite, bar, harness and a board...

Postby macguffin » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:32 am

LadaX wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:56 pm
Long story short:

Videos and photos were sent to Duotone, within a day Duotone categorized it as factory defect and ask me to cut the kite in half and they will provide a credit memo.

For those who are trying to figure out how it happened, the kite was not inverted, there were no waves (there are never waves in Prea, BR), the line loops did not slip from the knot, there were no more 22 knots wind, ... The other side of the kite tip looks without an issue, but sewing and gluing has mixed quality on the whole kite.
Nobody could believe it when they saw the kite on the beach. I actually thought the line has broken before I saw the kite on the beach.

I am glad it has been resolved, but it creates a trust issue with the brand and kite. If you jump over 15 metres you want to have an equipment you can trust.
Yes, every kite equipment and every brand breaks sooner or later (if you kite daily in Brazil then rather sooner), but it should not be a case for a brand new kite.
Not to mention that the kite goes immediately into death loop, when one tip of the kite gets torn off.

And yes, some brands break even faster than Duotone and many others do not. Dutone kites have nice feeling, but there is a price to be paid. :-)
Wow, I am extremely surprised, but great, I'm happy for you that you are ok and Boards & More are basically replacing the kite! :D I've had board and kite defects before, both on Duotone and old North Kiteboarding products, and as far as kites went, they haven't done anything about it, ever... :evil: The thing is, one keeps using the equipment which comes with the biggest factory discount. :naughty:
LadaX wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:56 pm
The other side of the kite tip looks without an issue, but sewing and gluing has mixed quality on the whole kite.
Would be interesting for me if you could please elaborate more on this statement, and also add pictures here. I'd like to check my Evo more thoroughly now. :cry: Can you tell us when you bought/received the kite...? Thanks! :)

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:51 pm

Of course such a topic comes up just when I bought a 12m sls :lol: Nice that it got sorted from duotone, hope your new one does the job :thumb:
These users thanked the author Exal for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:52 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

foxzone
Rare Poster
Local Beach: lake michigan
Favorite Beaches: hatteras
Style: freeride
Gear: XR6's

Postby foxzone » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:04 pm

The same here. I've just bought 10m evo sls. Quality check date shows 8/6/2022, which is probably June. I haven't use it but I pumped and inspected and looks good to me.
Please provide more info and possibly pictures what mixed quality you saw.

Return to “Kitesurfing”