Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
azoele
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush DNA 14
Brand Affiliation: None

Bar Lines crossing *under* the distributor

Postby azoele » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:52 pm

Fellow tinkerers,

I am having the back lines of my bar cross exactly under the T-shaped lined distributor (Ozone, I think it is) when looping, which is both not nice on the lines (as they scratch against it) and relatively unsafe (they could tangle, and in any case abrasion will kill them quickly).

I have no idea why, though.
The bar has about 65cm of depower throw, and the distance from the bar to the top of the T-shaped metal bit in the picture is about 108cm.

Should I simply shorten the trim, thus bringing the T-bit nearer the bar and hope the lines will cross over it?
Or is there any other solution to avoid them crossing right under it? I like having quite a bit of trim, not only to face different wind levels, but also to "choose" at what bar throw distance I have what level of power.

Sorry if it is a daft question, but it did not happen previously, so I must have changed something without realizing :oops:

P.S.
for those having used them: I used Liros Slide Protect on the depower – hoping it won't bite too hard in the carbon of the bar –, and Liros Grip Protect on the trim to increase the bite of the clamcleat.
Does this make sense?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Bar Lines crossing *under* the distributor

Postby BWD » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:31 pm

Is it affecting multiple kites or just one size? You could change line length. Maybe add 20-30cm pigtails all around?

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:06 pm

Things affecting the distance lines cross at as seen from the bar:

line length: longer lines = higher cross point
Kite size: smaller kite = higher
Bar width: smaller bar = higher

Based on your description you must be riding somewhere around 12m lines, foiling. This always brings higher abrasion as the lines cross at an extreme angle. Up to you if you want the back lines the grind into the front lines (setting the distributor lower) or want the cross point below the distributor. Thus extending the length of the trim + flagout lines.

Not much you can do about the sharp carbon on the Groove bar except keeping the hole smooth, sand away the sharp edges and/or apply a coat of epoxy from time to time. Also keep an eye on the connection of the back lines to the bar, have seen the lines wear in those small sharp holes too.
Best to use a bar with replaceable nylon center hole if you want your bar and depower cord to last longer.

azoele
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush DNA 14
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby azoele » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:44 pm

I did not give you enough information, am sorry.

The bar has 20m lines.
I saw it happen on the 13m and 17m.
It is a 55cm bar.

Last 2 months have been horrible – zero wind or almost – so it'll be days before I'll be able to get kites in the air to test where do lines cross depending on the sizes.

That is a smart suggestion though, did not think about kite width as an influence on point of crossing.

I will still try to reduce trim somewhat to get the metal T bit lower.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the prelines in the small holes: almost impossible to check them so tight they have been stuck there. They look like they are allowed zero movement, but still...

Thank you both.

Return to “Gear Builders”