knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best way to start

Postby knotwindy » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:04 am

That makes sense if you have sailed or windsurfed or done something to already know about how the wind can be variable or constant and how to tell the difference. If you have no experience with this, a trainer kite for a short time can be invaluable in saving time on a ‘real’ kite where you can get pummeled if you screw up. We all take the wind window for granted and assume everyone knows it the way we do. I’d say that is a completely ridiculous assumption and could lead to someone getting damaged.
But everyone learns differently so do what works for you. Watch lots of videos, talk to whoever you can including on here and enjoy the process. And stay safe as you can. I think the saying is
Slow people learn for their mistakes, smart people learn from others mistakes and wise people learn from everything.
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post:
galewarning (Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:32 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:55 am

So, just to be perfectly clear, you are using this Forum and this thread to peddle your "quality" videos? At least, you were good enough to disclose your connection to the commercial enterprise. Good for you. :thumb:

cbulota wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:16 am
The advice of ''flying a 2/3 lines foil trainer kite as much as possible before your lessons'' is outdated.

Read this article: https://www.kitebud.com.au/kitesurfing- ... ay-or-nay/

Your time is better spent watching quality video tutorials. https://www.kitebud.com.au/kitesurfing-online-courses/

As explained in the article, the majority of people who fly a trainer kite prior to lessons, develop some bad habits (hammer grip, wide grip, diving the kite constantly to the power zone) and it's completely different than flying a 4-line kite with a harness.

Such habits can slow down your progress as you'll need to un-learn some habits to then learn new ones.

Hope this helps.

Christian - KiteBud

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:06 am

I didn't watch the video, but read the article, and I must admit it's valuable to get the opinion of a professional instructor in terms of trainer kites and possible bad habits, something I would never have suspected.

So here you go, don't get a trainer kite and go watch youtube!
Trainer kite was still a better idea than the original one of getting a bar from eBay

cbulota
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pinnaroo Point, Western Australia
Style: Freeride/hydrofoil/surfing
Gear: a lot of it
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby cbulota » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:09 am

FLandOBX wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:55 am
So, just to be perfectly clear, you are using this Forum and this thread to peddle your "quality" videos? At least, you were good enough to disclose your connection to the commercial enterprise. Good for you. :thumb:

cbulota wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:16 am
The advice of ''flying a 2/3 lines foil trainer kite as much as possible before your lessons'' is outdated.

Read this article: https://www.kitebud.com.au/kitesurfing- ... ay-or-nay/

Your time is better spent watching quality video tutorials. https://www.kitebud.com.au/kitesurfing-online-courses/

As explained in the article, the majority of people who fly a trainer kite prior to lessons, develop some bad habits (hammer grip, wide grip, diving the kite constantly to the power zone) and it's completely different than flying a 4-line kite with a harness.

Such habits can slow down your progress as you'll need to un-learn some habits to then learn new ones.

Hope this helps.

Christian - KiteBud

So, just to be perfectly clear, there are plenty of good video tutorials out there, but some of the free ones online aren't great or simply outdated or just there to push a brand. I have yet to recover the cost of producing those videos 5 years down the track. Even the guys from kitesurfing college are in the same situation, we do this because we love to teach and love to share what we do. There are thousands of dollars involved in producing these videos and it makes sense to ask for a little something in return. I genuinely believe that 2/3 lines foil trainer kites are a waste of time and money in the perspective of getting ready before taking kitesurfing lessons. I'm just looking out for the best interest of learners.

By the way....

- there is much more money to be made selling trainer kiters rather than selling videos!
- A lot of my content / videos are completely free and have helped thousands of students who never gave me a cent.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:06 pm

Kites are inanimate objects, they don’t teach you anything. They are just a tool. What you get out of them depends on the pilots brain power or good instruction. You use these tools to train the brain (not muscles). Couple a 3m ram air 2 or 3 line kite with a mountain board you can practice whatever grip you want, then power stroke, turning up and stopping, turning up stopping and going off on the other tack, slide turning, carving to toe side…………and a lot more. Obviously not for everybody and you would be wise to pad up. If you don’t want to go down the mountain board route you can just walk through these manoeuvres but you will need some aptitude for visualisation of what is needed - watch videos for this! Even the mantra that you must have lessons is not an absolute but obviously sensible for most. All above just imho.

PS What’s best depends on the individual and the conditions available. Once you are a competent rider it can still be useful to have a small trainer, so you can walk through various tricks and manoeuvres. Again this can help with brain training through visualisation, but again the value will depend on the individuals strengths and aptitudes. Of course the trainer could be a small LEI or small depower foil, depending on budget and crash survival, willingness to repair…………….
Last edited by Herman on Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:07 pm

Enough about kites. What do folks think of this video from Kitesurf College. I think he does a pretty good job of advising ways to get the most from expensive lessons.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:38 pm

Very good video. I would liked to have seen a bit more on flagging and QR. Also recovering a backstall from somewhere near Z into the power zone by sheeting out and pulling the fronts if necessary. Moving yourself to get a kite off the edge window when it’s stuck there when overflown a little on land. Of course I may have missed them or they may be covered in other vids. Kitesurf college put out some great vids imho. Great pointer for the OP.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:53 pm

cbulota wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:09 am
.....I'm just looking out for the best interest of learners.

By the way......

- A lot of my content / videos are completely free.
I don't want to belabor the point or pick on you. I understand the costs of producing video content. But it would be more apparent that you are looking out for the best interest of learners if you shared a link to one of your free videos, rather than a menu predominantly listing the videos that you're selling.

Along these lines, here's another free video from Kitesurf College for the OP on how to get the most from a trainer kite. I taught alongside Alex several years ago (same beach, different schools) and know him to be an excellent instructor, as his videos show. We started every beginner lesson with time on a trainer kite for several reasons. It provides a low stress opportunity to teach the wind window, power zone, bar movement, line management, etc. and, at the same time, allows the instructor to assess the student's kite skills and readiness to move to the water. I appreciate your perspective on trainer kites, but you are in the minority among instructors if you fail to see their value both before and during beginner lessons. But, of course, reasonable minds can differ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi26J4DCNDM

galewarning
Frequent Poster
Weight: 168
Local Beach: Any slowly draining lake in the Desert Southwest & Land of Detachment.
Gear: Kite & foil kit: 15.5m Switch H2, 12m SS RPX, 7/10m RPM ('19), 8m SS UFO V2.0, 5/6[V5]/8m[V6] SS SST, SS Phantasm 633, SS Dwarfcraft 110, SS 5'4 Convert [my directional], SS 159 Glide; SS 138 Vision, 136 Nobile Split, SS 133 Luna
Wing kit: SS Wingcraft 90 / SS G900 / 4.4 & 5.4 Vayu wings
Brand Affiliation: None directly, but I do have friends in the snow and wind sports industries.

Postby galewarning » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:31 pm

Awesome!
knotwindy wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:04 am
...snip...
Slow people learn for their mistakes, smart people learn from others mistakes and wise people learn from everything.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:42 pm

Was it Confucius or TUKTOW who said:

I hear I forget, I see I remember, I do I understand!

Return to “Kitesurfing”