Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite spots in South America from August - December

Forum for kitesurfers
Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite spots in south america from august-december

Postby Havre » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:44 pm

Desert kite wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:11 pm
Gonzavala wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:00 am
I'm from Peru. Paracas isn't actually 30 knots "most" days. You'll get some of those in the winter (June-august) but also some low/no wind days. November/December blows more regular and you can find plenty of 20-25 days but probably not that many 30+. As in all places, wind isn't guaranteed.

I see, well 30+ every day would get too extreme at some point i guess. Still 20-25 stable is awesome and for the experience of peru im very interested..Thanks for the info! If i'll be in peru i'll be sure to hit all the spots.
Havre wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:02 am
How is Costa Rica? Always wanted to go, but I get varying type of "reports" talking to people who have been. Some love it - others think it is just too gusty to have fun?

September and October is amazing in Brazil. I have no idea why they have their current travel restrictions - and you would expect them to be removed before September.
Hopefully! I cant see it holding until then unless some new mutation appears.. Anyways i guess nothing is guranteed. but i'm seeing now alot of places relaxing on their rules.
Brazil though looks abit too "cool kids club" for me,though i may just be stupid. my hopes are for Colombia.

Maybe Costa Rica and Cuesta Del Viento are similar in that aspect where its too gusty so not much people bother? Honestly still haven't found any reliable info on that place except for vids of it having nuking wind.
If I remember correctly the wind in Bahia Salinas comes from the mountains - just curious to how people see it - as what is considered "gusty" seems to be pretty subjective. Same for that one big lake you can kite on in Costa Rica.

Not sure what "cool kids club" means (I am definitely not "cool" - even among my QAnon-friends), but I absolutely loved Brazil. I love Cabarete as well, but the wind isn't always great - even if it should be better in summer than when I have been there during winter.

Will be interesting to hear if you end up in Colombia. I have thought about going to Cartagena several times, but it seems like you need to travel out of the city for the best kiting. Just a bit more hassle for a shortish holiday.

Desert kite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Geula, TLV
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Eleveight fs 9 rs 12
CS vary bar
Best TS 7
Lieuwe shotgun

Postby Desert kite » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:34 pm

Havre wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:44 pm
Desert kite wrote:
Gonzavala wrote:

Havre wrote:
If I remember correctly the wind in Bahia Salinas comes from the mountains - just curious to how people see it - as what is considered "gusty" seems to be pretty subjective. Same for that one big lake you can kite on in Costa Rica.

Not sure what "cool kids club" means (I am definitely not "cool" - even among my QAnon-friends), but I absolutely loved Brazil. I love Cabarete as well, but the wind isn't always great - even if it should be better in summer than when I have been there during winter.

Will be interesting to hear if you end up in Colombia. I have thought about going to Cartagena several times, but it seems like you need to travel out of the city for the best kiting. Just a bit more hassle for a shortish holiday.
The most gusty i had was in Dahab (Sinai) Egypt
There its thermal from the mountains and can bring you 28-30knot gusts on a relatively stable 18-22 day. I honestly had no problem with it even when back then i wasnt jumping and the gusts were making me need to lean forward to release pressure. Nowadays when i get unstable days it reminds me of dahab and i get excited. Especielly when you get a double/triple jump (mario style)

It's 100% in my head about Brazil and from the pics i see of the north shore the place looks amazing and a shame to miss based on my prejudice.
Will update on Cabarete and Buen Hombre when i finish my vacation there. If anyone is interested in Curacao and El Cuyo mexico i can give some info on those places aswell.
Cabarete really is a hit or miss from what i understand. This week had killer wind there from what i gathered from a friend in cabarete.Hopefully summer is more stable since i have alot of time to spend there, atleast end of july.

If i will be in colombia i'll spend most of my time i guess in Cabo and La boquilla.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:18 pm

If you don't mind gusty from what I have heard Costa Rica is great.

Cabarete should be good in the summer. I just never really leave Norway in the summer as those are the months it is actually pleasant to be here :lol:
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
Desert kite (Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:48 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Desert kite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Geula, TLV
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Eleveight fs 9 rs 12
CS vary bar
Best TS 7
Lieuwe shotgun

Postby Desert kite » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:36 am

Got a request for El Cuyo so i'll write about both El Cuyo and Curacao

El Cuyo, mexico
Was there for 8 days late january.
Windguru that week looked like shit except for one day near the end of my trip
First day tried to kite but onshore wind and light wind for the 12, gave up. Second day-5th
even though windguru showed 14knots in gusts, the wind just kept on increasing eventually reaching 20 knots by the end of the 2nd day and changing to side onshore wind
3rd-5th day were really strong aswell peaking at 20-22 knots, was out with the 9 wind was on ALL day.
6th day was sick and 7th day had nice sideshore wind 8th day didnt have time to kite.
I have a feeling during season you can expect wind 4-5 days a week. Bring a 12 and 9
Get an airbnb with gas stove as when the wind is on the electricity is off. Most i had was 20 hours no electricity and another time 12 hours. With my electric stove i couldnt make food at all and had to eat out and get sick.
The town is nice as the locals are super friendly, the restraunts look good except the one i ate at which was closest to my house and served me some leftover takeaway ground pork that was way expired. But again, other restraunts actually do look nice.
You can get an airbnb on the beach so its amazing to go with company. I went solo and stayed in a place closer to the locals. There are no bars there.
Kite school are really nice but are also beginners in kiting so wouldnt except them to fix kites or anything like that.. getting lessons from them isnt a bad idea as the spot is huge and very safe. The level of teaching though will not be top quality but it will support the locals and you will be on the board by the end of the lesson since the wind is good.
Progreso is another spot in the area with good wind, and gustier, havent been there.
Isla holbox similar conditions, 1-2 knot less. Havent been there

Curacao
Ive been here for more than a month. Found an airbnb close to the spot st Joris for really cheap so i dont need to rent a car.
The kite spot has pretty consistent 14-18 knots with up to 23 gusts. Ive had 2 times were there was no wind for 4 and 5 days. The place is big enough for the students learning and the people kiting here. You can always go upwind or downwind for more space.
Good launch/land site and the kite schools here know what they are doing. Nice small kite community.
Best season from what i heard is from end of may-august.
Bring a 10 and a 12
Imported food from europe is nice, most stuff here cost pretty much the same as in europe, some more or less but it evens out. You need a car to enjoy the island. The locals are not too friendly but its not unsafe or something that should bother you. The most dangerous thing is how the people drive here, including the dutch locals.
The land owner of the kite spot sometimes does festivals in the kite spot so that brings a bit of life to the island.
Overall if you have the chance to get to bonaire or aruba go there. If youre coming here even for a week bring a 10 and 12 it is still recommended to kite here. I improved alot in this conditions.
These users thanked the author Desert kite for the post:
loco4viento (Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:59 am)

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Re: Kite spots in South America from August - December

Postby rnelias » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:48 pm

Instead of opening a new "political situation in _______" thread, I'm digging up this one to advise that there was a coup trial today from the leftist president of Peru, Pedro Castillo. He tried to dissolve the lower house but the military forces denied and he's now in prision. Thus, if you're planning to come to Peru, it's a good idea to check first how's the situation.
These users thanked the author rnelias for the post:
Toby (Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:08 pm)

Gonzavala
Medium Poster
Local Beach: East Beach South End UK
Favorite Beaches: East End, paracas, pacasmayo, guincho
Style: freestyle
Gear: Rrds obssesion shinn luigi

Postby Gonzavala » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:48 pm

All quiet in Peru. The idiotic coup lasted less than an hour
These users thanked the author Gonzavala for the post:
rnelias (Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:10 am)

kitemancan
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Ss - 6m raptor
North 9/12m orbit
OR - 10m rise/ 14.5m flite
Core board
Has thanked: 0

Postby kitemancan » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:24 am

Havre wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:44 pm
Desert kite wrote:
Gonzavala wrote:
I'm from Peru. Paracas isn't actually 30 knots "most" days. You'll get some of those in the winter (June-august) but also some low/no wind days. November/December blows more regular and you can find plenty of 20-25 days but probably not that many 30+. As in all places, wind isn't guaranteed.

I see, well 30+ every day would get too extreme at some point i guess. Still 20-25 stable is awesome and for the experience of peru im very interested..Thanks for the info! If i'll be in peru i'll be sure to hit all the spots.
Havre wrote:
How is Costa Rica? Always wanted to go, but I get varying type of "reports" talking to people who have been. Some love it - others think it is just too gusty to have fun?

September and October is amazing in Brazil. I have no idea why they have their current travel restrictions - and you would expect them to be removed before September.
Hopefully! I cant see it holding until then unless some new mutation appears.. Anyways i guess nothing is guranteed. but i'm seeing now alot of places relaxing on their rules.
Brazil though looks abit too "cool kids club" for me,though i may just be stupid. my hopes are for Colombia.

Maybe Costa Rica and Cuesta Del Viento are similar in that aspect where its too gusty so not much people bother? Honestly still haven't found any reliable info on that place except for vids of it having nuking wind.

I've been to costa, colombia, and brazil.

Costa is gusty for sure but I'm used to gusty inland lakes and never had an issue. I know others used to the sea who weren't big fans but it was fine. Jellyfish came in waves so some days you'd have a lot and others none. Wear long sleeves and pants and try not to crash on the bad days haha. Good strong wind basically everyday though. Nothing else in the area though.

The day I went to the big inland lake it was light wind sadly. Absolutely beautiful scenery though and good dedicated small crew of foreign kiters. I want to go back when it is howling to try again.

Colombia I was still learning so not the best idea. I don't remember it being gusty but tmyes the spots are outside of cartagena. Kite schools do travel there though and a car would be cheap. Just be careful with parking on the beach. Police may ask for a bribe.

Brazil has been my favorite so far just due to lack of chop. Everywhere else I've went is generally choppy.

hookedcook
Medium Poster
Gear: Elevegiht RS 10 and 12

Postby hookedcook » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:26 am

Not much to add but Paracas is cool. Been to Brazil 3 times since covid, just got back from 3 months Egypt, Greece, Madagascar. With 24 hour layovers in other Countries(Switzerland and Dubai). They ask for vac proof before you get on certain airlines depending on the destination ( happened 3 times, and people that were not vaxed got pulled aside) even if its a layover. I work on a yachts and nobody hires anyone not vaxed because all Countries are different and rules change all the time. It's just the way things are now if your not vaxed good luck traveling around the world

Gonzavala
Medium Poster
Local Beach: East Beach South End UK
Favorite Beaches: East End, paracas, pacasmayo, guincho
Style: freestyle
Gear: Rrds obssesion shinn luigi

Postby Gonzavala » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:19 am

Gonzavala wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:48 pm
Not quiet anymore. Deaths are far from any kitesurfing spot, but the situation is fluid and violence could spread. Sad days in Perú

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:07 pm

Gonzavala wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:19 am
Gonzavala wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:48 pm
Not quiet anymore. Deaths are far from any kitesurfing spot, but the situation is fluid and violence could spread. Sad days in Perú
7 dead :o

It seems protests are bigger and more violent in Arequipa

Return to “Kitesurfing”