Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Milo The Action Communicator

Postby Sun » Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:34 pm

Thanks Pera!

The voice delay sounds a lot like what my parents deal with using their in-helmet motorcycle radios. They are voice activated, but take about a second or two to register. If you are not prepared, the first bit of speech is always lost. What they have learned to do is start any talking with speaking the other person’s name three times, then saying what they want to say. You lose that first bit, but it will help to get the persons attention when they hear either their full name or a bit of it, then the actual complete message. The same technique will probably work quite well for the Milo, especially if you have more than two people on the line, since saying the persons name who you wanted to talk to will actually direct the conversation better.

Seems promising overall. I do agree that using a USB port for charging was a dumb idea. Should have been wireless charging, and maybe a USB service port behind a sealed, screwed shut door. That way, 95% of the time when you’re charging it, it remains watertight, but if you need to update firmware or something, there is a USB port behind an accessible but sealed door. Or make firmware updates wireless, like Woo, just do not make the same mistake of making charging via physical electrical contact.

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:20 pm

it's weird that simple waterproof devices are still rare nowadays.

sometime ago I was looking for a waterproof mic to vlog while hydrofoiling but couldn't find many options. In fact, I've only found one: Instamic, for 2/3 a price of a Hero11 mini (200/300 usd).

Specifically in the Milo's case, we have a bunch of IPX68 phones that resist to water splashes fairly well. Don't you think an app using 4G network could do the same job? I have a friend that usually ride listening to music on his old phone inserted in the helmet, close to the ear :lol:

The only issue I can see in using an app, besides the risk of drowning a phone, is that the app should know when sending the message without relying on a button :thumb:

Pera
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 82 kg
Local Beach: Bygdin Lagune. The mountains in Norway
Style: Freeride, jumping, gliding
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblades 2015, 2020,2021 6-12m
Cabrinha Contra 2021 11m
Cabrinha Moto 2022 12m
Cabrinha Nitro 2024 12m
Cabrinha Ace Wood 2018

Postby Pera » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:53 pm

I think the problem using a phone would be the mic to be able to reduce wind- and background noise.

Appleton
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Appleton » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:06 pm

Finally put the Milo through a kitesurfing session. Blowing around 20knots.

I used Velcro to wrap around the clip and also used the lanyard. It didn’t fall off, I had a few heavy crashes. But I actually wish it had !!! I’d have been able to claim on my travel insurance if I’d lost it.

Absolutely useless as a communicator, their firmware has been updated so unless they bring some software changes out I won’t be using it again. I actually couldn’t hear a thing, just crackling and a faint voice in the background, volume was turned up to the max. Range is only 75-100 meters, doesn’t come back into range until you’re virtually crossing on the tacks.

Water wasn’t in the speakers, blew on it etc. was dry and clear

Also tried with one device on the shore. Same outcome.

0 out of 10 for use when Kitesurfing
These users thanked the author Appleton for the post (total 3):
Pana (Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:07 pm) • zlatko23 (Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:21 pm) • HALF (Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:02 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

lightwind
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 75
Local Beach: SC Lahor, Kotor
Gear: Gong strutless 10, Gong Unik 6.8, Blade Skinny boy 5m, Gong foil M pro wing, Gong foil board 3CS 4.6, Gong Neutra V2 5 m, Gong HIPE pro 5.1

Postby lightwind » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:56 pm

Any news for this device? I see they have new software. Does anyone know if the delay issue is solved? We need something for the kids sailing club. Coaches are having a hard time giving group instructions when it's windy. What do you guys think will be a solution?

HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Postby HALF » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:01 pm

Check bbtalkin, i use it with my GF, and it is great tbf.
Just make sure you wash it after using it in the salty water, and use contact spray on the headset jack from time to time.

Ved
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Twintip, foil, surfboard, skis
Been thanked: 0

Postby Ved » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:06 pm

I have a pair of Milos. Completely useless for kitesurfing, OK for skiing, snow kiting in medium wind and for climbing, but I wish I had just bought a pair of good walkie talkies instead.

Philicious
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Gear: North NEO

Postby Philicious » Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:39 am

Ved wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:06 pm
I have a pair of Milos. Completely useless for kitesurfing, OK for skiing, snow kiting in medium wind and for climbing, but I wish I had just bought a pair of good walkie talkies instead.
Why do you think it's useless for kitesurfing?

Ved
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Twintip, foil, surfboard, skis
Been thanked: 0

Postby Ved » Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:15 am

I have used it with a friend on the water once in ~16 knots, didn't hear a thing, lost connection all the time because you have to be within ~100-150 m. Skiing and snowkiting is usually less wind and easier to find shelter, so easier to hear, although it is very sensitive to terrain blocking the signal. For the high price it is really bad!

Return to “Kitesurfing”