Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Big air kites blank test

Forum for kitesurfers
Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Big air kites blank test

Postby Havre » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:51 am

Someone worse than me at kiting would not notice if they were riding an Orbit or a Switchblade. And if they did they wouldn’t necessarily be able to tell why one would be better than the other.

And one of the reasons I didn’t get an Orbit myself (I was close - was going to get the 2021 in SA, but then Covid again) - was I’m not that good of a rider - even if I’m probably exactly average joe or slightly better when I’m at a spot.

Most people I see and talk to just want to jump old school - Edge or XR (if they are now the two most “beginner friendly” for jumpers). I would love to see more choice among those kind of kites. Especially if the Rebel is moving away. Actually the Rebel might be a case study. All very anecdotal and subjective, but some years ago the Rebel was considered to be “the” performance kite. On here and out on the water. Don’t think it has that reputation any longer. I have never ridden an Orbit but my guess is that us actual average joes would jump higher and more consistent with a Rebel (of course the Rebel was never included in that test - so we can’t known what they would have said).

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:54 am

LePhasme wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:22 am
Blackened wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:24 am
LePhasme wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:16 am
What would you expect from a beginner kite to make it a beginner kite ?
1. Relaunch
2. Stability - e.g. won't fall out of the sky
3. Easy to fly - e.g. responsive
4. Forgiving - e.g. less power in turns for when they loop it (also see #2)
5. Good depower & windrange

Pretty much what everyone wants from any kite.
Isn't it pretty much a wave kite ?
I think this is why the Neo became the kite of choice for many kite schools (2014 model on). I'd also add easy to ride upwind - which isn't standard on all wave kites but which was pretty good on the Neo.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:11 pm

LePhasme wrote:
Blackened wrote:
LePhasme wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:16 am
What would you expect from a beginner kite to make it a beginner kite ?
1. Relaunch

Except maybe a little less reactive, beginners make a lot more bar movement mistakes you don’t want instantly transferred to the kite?

LePhasme
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 74
Local Beach: City Beach (Perth, Au)
Favorite Beaches: Shoalwater
Augusta
Nickolson point
Style: Big air
Gear: Duotone rebel (7, 10, 12)
Cabrinha ace 135x40

Postby LePhasme » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:38 pm

Yes but then a slow kite would only be useful for a short time when you are really beginner, which would pretty much restrict it to kite schools

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:12 pm

LePhasme wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:38 pm
Yes but then a slow kite would only be useful for a short time when you are really beginner, which would pretty much restrict it to kite schools
Yes but not slow, just slower than a wave kite.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:34 pm

LePhasme wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:38 pm
no, not only.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:06 pm

Edges are great big air kites, but the Orbit is just easier to land smoothly & more consistently - so I agree with the conclusion of the blank test - which I thought was very good (aside from the framing issues/chest obsession with Marc Jacobs?!)

The other aspect that no-one seems to have mentioned, is that using a slightly smaller size of Orbit (i.e. going less lit), I thought it was more than OK with a wave board in sideshore conditions, with the advantage that it handles very gusty conditions really well, so much so that, unless you are regularly getting great waves, there is little point in having wave kites

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:13 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:54 am
LePhasme wrote:
Blackened wrote:

1. Relaunch

I think this is why the Neo became the kite of choice for many kite schools (2014 model on). I'd also add easy to ride upwind - which isn't standard on all wave kites but which was pretty good on the Neo.
Forgot easy upwind. Good call. Wave kites are normally great school kites. They tend to be a little more solidly built to get tossed in the waves.

I'd go with a do-everything just because they're typically easier/better to boost as a first kite.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:59 pm

Havre wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:51 am
Someone worse than me at kiting would not notice if they were riding an Orbit or a Switchblade. And if they did they wouldn’t necessarily be able to tell why one would be better than the other.

And one of the reasons I didn’t get an Orbit myself (I was close - was going to get the 2021 in SA, but then Covid again) - was I’m not that good of a rider - even if I’m probably exactly average joe or slightly better when I’m at a spot.

Most people I see and talk to just want to jump old school - Edge or XR (if they are now the two most “beginner friendly” for jumpers). I would love to see more choice among those kind of kites. Especially if the Rebel is moving away. Actually the Rebel might be a case study. All very anecdotal and subjective, but some years ago the Rebel was considered to be “the” performance kite. On here and out on the water. Don’t think it has that reputation any longer. I have never ridden an Orbit but my guess is that us actual average joes would jump higher and more consistent with a Rebel (of course the Rebel was never included in that test - so we can’t known what they would have said).
You'd definitely know an Orbit vs a SB in the first 10s. SB had med-heavy bar pressure, at least back prior to 2020. You'd also notice the Orbit falling out of the sky every time you crashed and not understand why :P.

I think it really depends on what kite people have to what they do as an average Joe these days. Here, almost everyone with an Orbit is learning to loop. Unless they're already great kiters, anyone on an Edge isn't. There are a couple duotone riders. Those on the Evo: learning to loop. Those on a Rebel: boosting (though there's a 53yr old trying to learn on 2021s)

Agreed.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:51 pm

I have no view as to which kite is the best. For highly skilled riders not named Toby it seems clear that the Orbit is brilliant. Based on my experience the no. of riders that skilled is a very small % of the total no. of kites though.

Return to “Kitesurfing”