Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Random thoughts: Any reason you couldn't use latex sealant instead of a bladder?

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Random thoughts: Any reason you couldn't use latex sealant instead of a bladder?

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:32 pm

Which could actually be WAY better than stressing with a bladder out/in and all the downsides :rollgrin:

I like the idea no matter how far or close to reality :D

8) Peter

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Re: Random thoughts: Any reason you couldn't use latex sealant instead of a bladder?

Postby evan » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:43 pm

Isn't aluula airtight already? Only need to find a way to glue or weld that stuff into airtight tubes like they make inflatable boats. Could even be lighter and stronger compared to stitching when done right, but I guess it will increase the cost even further...

Repair could indeed be as simple as gluing a patch to the outside.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:02 am

I suspect the sealant may end up being heavier than a PU bladder? If it needs to be effective over long time with inflate/deflate

Joostio
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Comox Valley, the Spit
Style: Strapless
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: CKR Comox Kite Repair

Postby Joostio » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:18 pm

We have already been doing Glued Aluula patches. The process is quite a pain in the butt so far and the glue has a limited shelf life. That may the way in the future but right now with the glues we use it's certainly not a beach side repair.

Easier to use 2 part glue needs to come a long way before we get there.

pākihiroa
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby pākihiroa » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:05 am

Or, laminate a lightweight, airtight, membrane right onto the inner side of the bladder fabric (or between an inner and outer layer of bladder fabric).

Someone else can figure out a solution for joining the bladder sections. Some sort of 'weld' perhaps ?

jjm
Medium Poster

Postby jjm » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:46 pm

Will be interesting seeing what comes out of Brainchild Production: https://www.iksurfmag.com/issue96/?page=185

Flyingseb
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: La Torche, France
Style: Jumps, curves, speed
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic2 15/11m, North Dyno 17m, Duotone Rebel 15/12/10m, OR Mako board, Homemade TT and Tiki

Postby Flyingseb » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:06 pm

Personally, I’m more encline to believe in welded seams, as the materials are always polymers. I suspect that manufacturers are just trying out to figure out to it with a reliable process.
Once welded, it won’t be much more complex to make it air tight.

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:07 am

It's a good idea, but latex is not the right material. It breaks down and gets sticky in a bit of heat, and god-forbid the sun touches it.

Funny story:

When I first got into kiteboarding, I owned a couple of Windtools Mosquito foils, 7.5 and 9.5. pro ks.

They were actually very good for what was available at the time, and high-performance if rigged as two-line foils.

Anyways, Windtools came up with the CAP, aka "condom air protect" system where the intakes used a latex condom with the tip cut off as the valve for for the intake...

I swear to God...

It actually worked, and the foil kites were water relaunchable even when rigged for two lines, but at the time I lived in Wisconsin.

It's generally cool and not sunny there in Wisconsin; but I'm pretty sure everyone at my local pharmacy thought I was some sort of twisted pervert, based on the rate I was buying large boxes of condoms to keep my kites functional.

So, like I said, good idea, but experience proves that latex is the wrong material!

Flyingseb
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: La Torche, France
Style: Jumps, curves, speed
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic2 15/11m, North Dyno 17m, Duotone Rebel 15/12/10m, OR Mako board, Homemade TT and Tiki

Postby Flyingseb » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:37 pm

Trent hink wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:07 am
It's a good idea, but latex is not the right material. It breaks down and gets sticky in a bit of heat, and god-forbid the sun touches it.

Funny story:

When I first got into kiteboarding, I owned a couple of Windtools Mosquito foils, 7.5 and 9.5. pro ks.

They were actually very good for what was available at the time, and high-performance if rigged as two-line foils.

Anyways, Windtools came up with the CAP, aka "condom air protect" system where the intakes used a latex condom with the tip cut off as the valve for for the intake...

I swear to God...

It actually worked, and the foil kites were water relaunchable even when rigged for two lines, but at the time I lived in Wisconsin.

It's generally cool and not sunny there in Wisconsin; but I'm pretty sure everyone at my local pharmacy thought I was some sort of twisted pervert, based on the rate I was buying large boxes of condoms to keep my kites functional.

So, like I said, good idea, but experience proves that latex is the wrong material!
I owned also some Mosquito kites. Condoms would need to be changed every once in a while, so going to the pharmacy to buy some was necessary.
«  I want a box of condom, please », then trying to explain I’m not a maniac or whatsoever, « it is for my kite »
Immediate answer of a skilled professional : «  you can name it like you want, it’s your own business.. »

Agree with you, sealant applied directly to the cloth is a good concept though

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:44 pm

Interesting thread. It's got me thinking about tubeless bicycle tires. The sealant inside tubeless bike tires maintains its liquid consistency. It's definitely heavier than the tubed alternative, but has advantages. For example, if the tubeless tire is punctured, the sealant plugs the leak before the tire deflates.

A liquid sealant would cause a kite's balance to vary as it flies across the wind window. You might be able to "even things out" by constantly looping the kite (like a rotating bicycle tire). :o :o :o You'd also have to come up with a new deflate system. Otherwise, you'd end up with a face full of sealant at the end of every session. :lol: :-? Surely, somebody can solve these problems???

Return to “Kitesurfing”