Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

IKO Validity?

Forum for kitesurfers
abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Wed May 12, 2004 10:33 pm

Hi Fo,
You all know I've a major hard-on for cash kite schools.

Your stance is like saying: democracy is a shit, I can defend this statment :advise:

I kind of agree with you, but is there a better alternative? :schmoll:

Here are some facts to consider:

a) Kite schools are keen to give the student the feeling that he can ride alone after 3 sessions, as they want to sell the equipment.

b) I bet you saw beginners teaching friends (bad alternative- quite problematic for everyone)

c) intermediate and advanced kiters don't give a shit, they just want to ride.

So what's your suggestion about how to provide some serious instruction to newbies? :o

Pls give us one of your ego-philoso-poetic-rageous answers instead of plain prosa. Thank you. :D

kiteingcolin
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kiteingcolin » Wed May 12, 2004 11:25 pm

i am a iko qualified< and i totaly agree with you point about making the student feel they can go back and forth after 3 days,so a sale may be made, i felt this belief was a load of shit!! superman might be able to achieve this dream but mr normal can not, i now tell people the whole truth, not want they want to hear.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Thu May 13, 2004 3:39 am

abel wrote:Hi Fo,

Your stance is like saying: democracy is a shit, I can defend this statment :advise:

a) Kite schools are keen to give the student the feeling that he can ride alone after 3 sessions, as they want to sell the equipment.

b) I bet you saw beginners teaching friends (bad alternative- quite problematic for everyone)

So what's your suggestion about how to provide some serious instruction to newbies? :o

Pls give us one of your ego-philoso-poetic-rageous answers instead of plain prosa. Thank you. :D
Hey! What are you saying?

I like to see -them up and riding and showing a bit of independence from the kite, before they ever see land.

I look for them to look away from the kite for a time, then I know they're getting comfy with the program.

Then beach do -um, rigging, launching etc.

Sorry no time to rant,
fokiten

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Thu May 13, 2004 5:41 am

fokiten wrote:
abel wrote:Hi Fo,

Hey! What are you saying?

I like to see -them up and riding and showing a bit of independence from the kite, before they ever see land.

I look for them to look away from the kite for a time, then I know they're getting comfy with the program.

Then beach do -um, rigging, launching etc.

Sorry no time to rant,
fokiten
Dude,

I thought you were cancelled.

Admittedly by yourself no doubt.

Back for more? Just like an aged athlete trying to come back after retirement because they feel left out.

It's up, and it's good. He shoots and he scores. Goooooooaaaaaaaalllllll.

Buntt
Medium Poster

Postby Buntt » Thu May 13, 2004 9:43 am

While i agree that there will always be differences in teaching methods from one school to the next, one thing that should always remain fundemental to any kitesurfing course is the proper and careful instruction on how to be safe...every school should advocate as well display high levels of safety, something which was lacking on the course i did here in England.

wakeboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby wakeboy » Thu May 13, 2004 12:02 pm

well on my bksa/iko course although they say they teach about foils...like shit they do..... in one week i got more abuse from the instructors and students than in the last year, they are no good for this etc etc, what they said on the course goes against what they claim in their syllabus. In fact it was the uk trainer who slagged off the iko and said it was a load of crap, and the bksa were considering leaving it........ infact i was superised at how unprofessionally run the bksa course is, considering it is supposed to be worth more than an iko course. For example there was no test at the end to see i fyou knew stuff, and the leader of the course didnt even know how to launch an arc!

The bksa is blantantly run by friends who like to kite and if you dont fit in to the cliche(group),i.e. they dont like you then they set lots of obstacles to try and discourage you from conntinuing, it is a course to make money......im a teacher and i educate people in thoery and practicles daily and i have been through two government inspections and i can tell you for a fact that the whole course would fail for the way it assesses trainee instructors... it is totaly subjective and not worth the money!

Buntt
Medium Poster

Postby Buntt » Thu May 13, 2004 12:24 pm

Let's just say that at the end of my course i didn't so much as make it onto a board...nor did i feel confident about handling the kite, and as for safety aspects of the sport...well not so much as an emergency packdown was practiced...all in all a complete ripoff! To say i was dissapointed is an understatement...but i didn't let that get me down...i managed to meet some cool people who were kind enough to show me the ropes...and the rest is history, i'm still learning...as i imagine i will be for a long time yet.
While i didn't put in a formal complant with the IKO, i am certain that this particular school must have a history of unssatisfied customers...question is whethet the IKO acts upon these complaints...or do they just allow such places to continue as they will?

Pogibro
Medium Poster

Postby Pogibro » Thu May 13, 2004 12:43 pm

THe safest kite being produced right now for teaching students is the Flysurfer Voodoo, anyone who has really tried one knows this, yet IKO fails to acknowledge this. You can't be an representative organization if you have binders on. Gotta widen your scope.

As I said, I don't recall voting for them to be my beach police. It is just another way for some to make a little doodah from the sport.

marina
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Central Coast, California
Favorite Beaches: Central Coast, California
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Ventana, Mexico
Oregon Coast
Baja Pacific Side
Peru
Style: waves, jumping and wiggling
Gear: mixed
Brand Affiliation: mixed

Postby marina » Thu May 13, 2004 4:30 pm

Hello All,

There was an IKO instructor meeting in Cabarete last month and as I understand, IKO is planning on doing more throughout the world this year. RE: ram air kites, IKO just added them back into the teaching program. They were not included before because of safety issues but now that ram air's have better depower, safety systems, etc. they are included.

RE: IKO certification, the class requires a bit more than just the 5 days in the classroom (about 8-12 hours per day). One must have prior teaching experience, etc. etc. Check out the website for details. IKO has standards that instructors must meet to pass. If they do not meet them, IKO has the infrastructure that allows candidates to apprentice at IKO schools to gain the experience needed to eventually attain their certification. Like any profession, a degree or certification does not make a great teacher. It only shows validation that a person put in the time and has attained the knowledge.

As an IKO school, I look for instructors with IKO certification and at least 1 year teaching experience in kitesurfing or another water or extreme sport. The school must then train the instructor for how they want their instructors to teach....

As a school, we never tell people that they will be up and riding in a 3-day course! We tell them they will know the basics of safety systems, weather theory, how to fly and kite and use the wind, how to get onboard, waterstart, ride, self rescue, water relaunch, etc., i.e. an introductory course on the basic principles of kiting. I tell people it normally takes 5 to 15 days to get on the board and ride going upwind somewhat consistently. Progresson depends on the time put into the sport, wind/weather/site conditions, and sports backgrounds that help like wakeboarding, buggying, power kiting, windsurfing, snowboarding, sailing and paragliding.

sid5150
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sid5150 » Thu May 13, 2004 5:24 pm

So to sum all of that up:

IKO certification doesn't mean you'll be safe, or even learn how to kiteboard. But instructors, stores, and especially train the trainer schools will have an opportunity to fleece the student.

Store instructors - What a great way to ensure that you get first dibs on the nooB's wallet. Brilliant. :thumb:

Apparently, anyone can get away with anything & look like a hero if you use the word 'safety' enough.

Sid sends

Return to “Kitesurfing”