Better than IKO?

Forum for kitesurfers
windmaker1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Better than IKO?

Postby windmaker1 » Thu May 13, 2004 6:36 am

Hi everyone,

Is there a kite instructor qualification that sets a higher standard than IKO? I would like to get some kind of qualification but i am really worried about the comprtence and sailing capabilities of IKO instructors ( the ones i know) and afraid this qualification will not mean much in the futur. Apparently you can get qualified in just 5 days. In which other sport can you do this? Not even golf. Does anyone know of a higher (recognised) standard?

Regards

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby murdoc » Thu May 13, 2004 9:39 am

IMHO qualification is not that important - i think it's good to have if
an accident happens to a student and the schools insurance refuses to pay cause the instructor's not certified - but apart from that, teacheing experience is really important.

i've done the VDWS course, but that's in german. it lasts for 10 days fully packed with training (from like 8:30 in the morning until 11 at night)

if you did the IKO thing and have something like 2 seasons of teaching in your CV, nobody will refuse hiring you because of poor license ...

nEcKeL
Medium Poster

Postby nEcKeL » Thu May 13, 2004 10:27 am

The french kite instructor diplomas from FFVL are quite valuable.... but it's only made for taching in France where IKO instructor qualification is not recongnised :(
It consists of more than 1000 hours of tuition as far as i remember

sid5150
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sid5150 » Thu May 13, 2004 5:18 pm

I'd suggest SKC (Sid's Kiteboarding Certification) - It offers the following benefits:

* It is VERY exclusive - Not every fool has one!

* It costs $250,000.00 (US) and takes years to accomplish (If it is that hard to get one, you KNOW it is good!)

* This certification is recognized by Sid, no matter where in the world you may go!

* No SKC Certified instructor or student has ever died - Or even come close!

* Comes with a free SKC T-Shirt upon graduation

* It is full of great safety stuff

Get your's today!

Sid sends

Hung
Medium Poster

Postby Hung » Thu May 13, 2004 11:43 pm

Hi everyone,

Is there a kite instructor qualification that sets a higher standard than IKO? I would like to get some kind of qualification but i am really worried about the comprtence and sailing capabilities of IKO instructors ( the ones i know) and afraid this qualification will not mean much in the futur. Apparently you can get qualified in just 5 days. In which other sport can you do this? Not even golf. Does anyone know of a higher (recognised) standard?

Regards
Take a lesson and read http://www.kitesurfingschool.org

The site is FREE, has NO certification but as far as I know many master instructors in the world (many from PASA and IKO) have learned from the site...

P.S. Learning from someone more experience is always better than learning by oneself...

Hung.

jahmaze
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jahmaze » Thu May 13, 2004 11:59 pm

IMO
IKO instructors should be very competent for you.. just try to take a lesson with the most experimented one if you're not sure..

experience in kiting is better that all diplomas.

although IKO is worldwide recognized and you'll be able to finish you training at the point you left it ..wherever you go in the world..

I'm not IKO affiliated or whatever but I learnt kiting with an certified instructor and I'm very happy of this... my progression was very fast and security oriented.

tahitian coconut
Frequent Poster

Postby tahitian coconut » Fri May 14, 2004 12:04 am

Wich way to go for being a certified instructor :

IKO or PASA instructor ?!?!? And for how much money...?

John Holzhall
Medium Poster

Postby John Holzhall » Fri May 14, 2004 4:26 am

Any one even mildly interested in instruction should email me to get "Secrets of Kiteboarding" our DVD detailing the K.I.T.E.S. system. If after viewing it you don't see how this system saves beach access and lives, then we will give you a full refund. Schools, Instructors and Retailers should contact me immediately...www.kiteboardcenter.com

sid5150
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sid5150 » Sat May 15, 2004 12:01 am

Anyone who can SPELL 'instruction' or 'kite' should become a SKC (Sid's Kiteboarding Certification) instructor! If you send us $250,000 and we don't certify you - We'll give you a complete refund!

Remember, it's not about money - It is about safety. And safety is WAY more important than silly money. Do it fo safety. And children. And sea turtles...

Sid sends

P.S. SAFETY!

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Sat May 15, 2004 12:28 am

when i see an instruction course that includes being dragged upside down in the water on your face at 30mph while trying to find your release, then i'll buy into it.

nothing teaches you respect for safety and others like getting spanked and having to get someone else save you from sure disaster. i firmly believe that all the courses give you a false sense of security.

it's like airbags, steering wheels should have f*** off metal spikes on them, not airbags, that would fix bad driving...

Return to “Kitesurfing”