Is kitesurfing eco - friendly???

Forum for kitesurfers
GreenPat
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby GreenPat » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:26 am

Zen: (from Japanese,'zenna' or 'zenno' - from Chinese ch'an-na, or ch'an, - from *dhyana) A coalition of related ways for attaining realization, even beyond enlightenment, of the true nature underlying all appearances, including one's own-and above all, that there is no duality within appearances, but only the one buddha-nature. (from http://www.bloomington.in.us/~okolicko/ ... ons-3.html)

I think that says it all.

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:30 am

selah wrote:Ahh... jeez. Alls I meant was that politely considering the environmental impact of insignificant things is more dangerous than emptying your crank case over the sand at your favorite launch, because you've tricked yourself into thinking you've done something positive when you've done absolutely nothing at all to make a difference.
I'm with you Selah, there are a lot worse things we could all be doing.
Only thing you can be certain of in your life is that it will end, and most likely when you plan for it. In between your birth and the end of your life is a complete mystery.
Consider it, seriously, non one actually knows what a single particle of anything is, or where it is, or how it came to be, etc.
In terms of infinity, which everything "known" can be expanded or contacted to, is time and space relevent?
Not really eh?
Maybe there is just one thing happening? Synchronicity=Reality
Its also called life, enjoy it, be it, live it, love it!

Go for a kite, feel alive, at one with whatever it is that is happening now, and now, and now...............................
Go home and make a difference with the feeling you got for free, love someone else, do something for someone else, hug your kids, wife, friends, have fun, no-one knows when the end is.

bennyh
Medium Poster

Postby bennyh » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:15 am

ahhh, thats more like it!
I was hoping the philosophical amongst us would get in on this.
On the subject of greenies grumbling and then not doing anything about it, actually in many ways not doing things does the most good, as long a many people follow suit
eg not buying products from bastard multinationals - consumer power is our greatest strength
eg not driving, but gettting there somehow else
eg not tossing out all our rubbish into landfill, but recycling some of it

could go on, but I'd rather go kiting, which I happen to think is an environmentally friendly activity.
CHeers
Ben

selah
Medium Poster

Postby selah » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:04 am

Ya know I'm not as cynical as all that. In fact the easiest way one can make a real, immediate difference doesn't require joining Greenpeace, riding a recumbant bicycle, or slapping a Free Tibet bumper sticker on the ol' Civic. Next time you're lovingly winding up your lines, a grin on your dial, take the time to pick up that Del Taco burrito wrapper and the empty 128oz Slurpee container at your feet (and tell me why Slurpees only come in binary sequence). I admit I'm not that diligent about doing this, because I feel that if the wind crapped out or the kite got wet and you're frustrated as hell, you need not pick up a goddamn thing. If you believe the above tripe and are feeling sort of Daoey you'll be teaching the beach an important lesson, and if not you won't feel like some smarmy do-gooder and have to stop shaving and buying organic.

Now you'll have to excuse me, folks. Gotta visit the, uh... little boys room. Buddha-nature's calling.

func
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo

Postby func » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:39 pm

Hey Nico, a couple sliced needlefish do not a destroyed area make! I'm sure any self respecting barracuda has dispached far more needlefish than you have.

And yeah, our kites weigh only a few kilos; feed that much oil into your car, and it probably wouldn't even get you to the beach. Pretty insignificant compared to what most people burn daily.

All things considered, kiting is pretty good. Just gotta move closer to the beach.

Kiteboarddog
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kiteboarddog » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:34 am

I'll meet you at the beach in my gas hog Suberban with seal eyes for headlights and leather seats. Eating my big raw meat Hamburger out of my disposable container then I will pee in the water while slicing up fish and feel so so guilty for being at the top of the food chain. :roll:

Let's thaugh out The duke ( Yea he's not dead they froze him) then he is gonna be really pissed off (Have you ever taken a cold shower well multiply that by 10,000 times and that's how pissed off the Duke is gonna be) Bla Bla Bla because WE GOT the Bomb Yea nuclear fucking weapons and

Sorry got a little carried away there :oops:
Joel

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:59 am

Hi Func.
Go out for 25 years slicing or scaring the needle fish in a given area and you will definitely have changed the make up of that area.
Anyway this is just one little example for a specific spot, I could give you quite a few others.

I have come up with this game/contest with my buddies.
Whilst out on the water the guy collecting the most plastic bags or such goodies wins a predetermined prize.
If everyone clubs in it gets pretty interesting.
Nico

Kite Scarecrow
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kite Scarecrow » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:41 pm

Nico wrote:Hi Func.
Go out for 25 years slicing or scaring the needle fish in a given area and you will definitely have changed the make up of that area.
Anyway this is just one little example for a specific spot, I could give you quite a few others.
That is, of course, if you are actually "killing" the fish. If all you are doing is "scaring" the fish, I dont think anything will happen. I was noticing on Friday a trout slick. A speckled sea trout slick smells like fresh sweet watermellon and the scent is actually oils that are secreted through the fishes skin as it feeds and it looks like an oil slick (some say it is oil from the fishes stomach...debatable). Because I like to fish, I noted the spot so maby one day I can go to the hole and pull out dinner. I use watertowers and poles to line myself up so I can get back there to fish if I want.

Saturday there was no wind, so I didnt go out. Sunday, I thought I would cruize by the hole and low and behold, there they were. Feeding like crazy... with kiteboarders crossing over them with every tack we took... for the most part.
Nico wrote:I have come up with this game/contest with my buddies.
Whilst out on the water the guy collecting the most plastic bags or such goodies wins a predetermined prize.
Nico
I tried to do that sunday too... Pick up some trash... a balloon, actually. When I reached for it, I noticed this inflated balloon had a "receptical tip" and seemed to have "ribs" going around it. so at the last second, I pulled my hand back in. I guess it wasnt my day to win the prize.

Kiteboarddog
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kiteboarddog » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:56 pm

Ichorne wrote:
Nico wrote:Hi Func.
That is, of course, if you are actually "killing" the fish. If all you are doing is "scaring" the fish, I dont think anything will happen. I was noticing on Friday a trout slick. A speckled sea trout slick smells like fresh sweet watermellon and the scent is actually oils that are secreted through the fishes skin as it feeds and it looks like an oil slick (some say it is oil from the fishes stomach...debatable). Because I like to fish, I noted the spot so maby one day I can go to the hole and pull out dinner. I use watertowers and poles to line myself up so I can get back there to fish if I want.

Saturday there was no wind, so I didnt go out. Sunday, I thought I would cruize by the hole and low and behold, there they were. Feeding like crazy... with kiteboarders crossing over them with every tack we took... for the most part.
Nico wrote:I have come up with this game/contest with my buddies.
Nico
I tried to do that sunday too... Pick up some trash... a balloon, actually. When I reached for it, I noticed this inflated balloon had a "receptical tip" and seemed to have "ribs" going around it. so at the last second, I pulled my hand back in. I guess it wasnt my day to win the prize.
Come on Ichorne your a sick bastard you could have picked it up and recycled it
A little soap and water and you could reuse that puppy and help save the world.

Those slick spots are great for throwing jumps also
Very smoooth water out in the middle of a choppy bay.
It only smoothes out the small chop not the actual waves.

Joel

Kite Scarecrow
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kite Scarecrow » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:44 pm

Seatrystf27 wrote: A little soap and water and you could reuse that puppy and help save the world.

Joel
And all I could think about that night was how I am not doing my part to save the universe from total destructrion! I couldnt help but feel guilty that I didnt pick the "balloon" up. All night long I had nightmares I was being attacked by sperm whale (I wont say what he was doing to me). :idea: The worst part was the song "99 luftballoons" by Nena kept playing over and over and over like some kinda freaky circus song...
I woke up in a cold sweat and all I could say to my wife was "poor Nemo, Poor old Nemo." I just wept until I cried myself back to sleep.... then I realized I had everything I owned that had a motor was in my driveway idleing for no reason.. Lawn mower, weed eater, edger, cars, motorcycles, chainsaws... Hell, I even had the blender out there...

Hello, My name is Ian, and I have a problem!... It is called Americanitus. 8)

Return to “Kitesurfing”