getting Lofted

Postby Neil 1 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:38 pm

Fokiten - Just trying to help good luck (on your own by the sounds of it) Neil

fokiten
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: getting Lofted

Postby fokiten » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:04 pm

Neil 1 wrote:Fokiten - Just trying to help good luck (on your own by the sounds of it) Neil
Thanks Neil,
Good luck to you also:

Hanging with Hamish by the sound of it :D

All things considered, I'll take my life :wink:

out
fokiten

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Re: gettin fofted

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:24 pm

Neil 1 wrote: Rollin totally agree on the QL thing. Especially with some shackles.
Is there any QL system that you think will work at extreme loads?
...short of your knife that may take too long to withdraw and cut a line.

It would have to be some mechanism where the force to pull the QL is a significant fraction of the max load on the line AND pulling the QL leaves no parts with any hold still on the line. This was my earlier question on the Surefire bar...you can't tell from the pictures, but it looks like in a max load scenario, with the CL pulling on this hook, it is not going to be able to rotate the 90 or 180 degrees it needs to release you. (with so much force pulling straight) Would this be the case in this extreme situation? (disclaimer - have not seen it in person)

Researching kite purchase - want to get the most reliable QL system.

R1ck
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby R1ck » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:31 pm

well i have tested my cl qr under load....but how can u test under extreme load? ive pulled it numerous times while coming in fully powered at the end of a session just to make sure it works properly.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:34 pm

R1ck wrote:well i have tested my cl qr under load....but how can u test under extreme load? ive pulled it numerous times while coming in fully powered at the end of a session just to make sure it works properly.
yeah, you would hope the manufacturers test it that way.
was curious to hear feedback on particular QRs that people feel are 99.9%, in response to this comment;
windy2 wrote:Many releases that are currently being used, either as sold or as modified by the user, will fail under extreme loads.
thanks

Kitedude
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kitedude » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:41 pm

Is there any QL system that you think will work at extreme loads?
the ocean rodeo punch out works under heavy load,it actually is easier to punch out under heavy loads

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:10 am

I'm glad Shannon is ok.

I had one of those lofting flying across a Flat Water Bay in a squall last year suddenly from 10 knots to 25 knots on a big kite. On landing still in the water, right away pulled the witchard on the spreader bar to release the CL. Because at that time I had a wrist leash the kite flagged out in a second. That was scary. Since than I'm not out there when I see the squalls are coming. Before, I was desperate and waiting for them in summer time light winds.

Here is the solution for QR what I'v been using for a year with a good result.

I suggest a Witchard welded on the top of the Spreader Bar so you could use the fixed loop easily to hook-in and out underneath and just use a Spinning Leash with it (could make your own). I use the F-One Spinning Leash which comes with the Chicken Loop but there are other offshelf available out there.

This way you can use any kind of chicken loop without any safety release to depend on.

DrLightWind

Top view of Witchard Spreader Bar.
Bottom view of Witchard Spreader Bar.

KiteVol
Frequent Poster

Postby KiteVol » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:06 am

I use the Gaastra Defender bar, which I think is great...I had a close call earlier this year and pulled the quick release under the load and the kite just opened up and lost all power..then I could pull another to totally release..very easy for both or just totally disconnect from the kite first.

Its a great system.

KV

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:55 pm

Quick Release selection, regular use and maintenance are critical to say the least. Many riders have been injured or simply had the hell scared out of them for lack of more effective QR function. Still this was not a factor in this ONE incident. Weather was the critical factor.

How many people commonly see kiteboarders going out with incoming squalls or stormy weather these days?

I am afraid that we haven't accumulated enough avoidable scary incidents, injuries and needless deaths to make an impression on most of the riders, yet. It would be great if I was wrong in this conclusion, am I? I wonder how many people got chewed up before pilots decided that flying into storm clouds was a bad idea? Nothing like the School of Hard Knocks for an indelible education.

kjelleren
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjelleren » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:14 pm

THe WIchard 2673 or 2674 are both very reliable pieces of hardware, that relase at high loads. However, if you rig them wrong, they will not funtion as designed. THis has been discussed extensively.

Neils approch of keeping the kite low and dragging in is something that I have done and found pretty effective. I have done the 50 plus mile per hour wind thing.

Fo, you keep reacting like folks are saying that "if you do this, you will be safe". Nothing is black and white. Most safety techniques only improve your odds, they don't assure safety. Neils approach may be good most of the time. Others have promoted just going to the leash. Should improve the odds. Wearing a helmet won't make you safe, just improves the odds. I like an impact vest, still have had minor rib injuries. Less than it would have been without. Lots of shades of grey. Kiteboarding is not safe, and will not be. It can be made safer, and hopefully we cn keep it in the zone of tolerable risk. Of course, what is tolerable is different for each person.

Wearing a seatbelt in a car does not make you invulnerable, just improves the odds.

Imporve your odds, learn from others and keep an open, yet skeptical mind.

Return to “Kitesurfing”