Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cabrinha 2003 kites tested? (Black Tip)

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 25, 2002 11:21 pm

I now have X-2 and will never go back to Cabrinha kites. I have one 2001 kite and they did leak, thankfully Cabrinha warranted the bladder. I have a 2002 7.2 (9.8 surface) and it has a lot of bar pressure just like the 2001. In defense of them though the 2002 7.2 handles very well, and it "appears" that the larger sizes handle much better than the 2001 models.
I personally will spend the extra for an X-2 but I'm sure the 2003 kites will be a great kite.

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Sat Oct 26, 2002 5:10 am

Hi Louis,
you will always find for or against opinions.
The way the opinions are put can tell you which one is reasonable, and which one isn"t.
I believe in my kites, and they are all Cabrinhas, I have 20 of them and use them for schooling and my own leisure.
I have tried many other makes, and have found that every kite has got it"s pros and cons.
Regards
Nico

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby MissionMan » Sat Oct 26, 2002 8:25 pm

And yet again the annonymous name comes up calling the Cabrinha crap...if you wanna make comments like that, have the balls to put down your name, because it seems like its just one or two pissed off people...

Here are some points to ponder...

Yes, cabrinha had faulty bladders in their 2001 models, that was two years ago and they replaced them under warranty...bmw, mercedes, jeep and a number of car manufacturers have recalled cars because of problems and rectified them...does that make them crap as well?

Secondly, a number of other brands had problems, wippy's delaminated on 2001's etc. All are held and replaced under warranty, so stop bitching about a problem you had two years ago, which was fixed by them anyway and get on with your life. If you want to comment on 2003 kites, comment on them, not on problems you had with a 2001 model...hence the use of the term "2003" but I'm not sure whether you were too busy whining about your problems with the 2001's to notice.

Louis, if you want a review on the 2003 BT's and CO2 check out Andoni's site and go to the news section. He is the only person who has written a review of them. There is also some photographic footage at kiteboarding.de (there is a link on the news section of kite-surf.com)

As for the comparison with the new X2, the 2003 BT has overtaken the X2 on jumping height and a couple of other issues, so right now its not worth spending the extra cash for the x2. The new naish may overtake it again, but right now the BT is on the top. See the BKSA forum for a comparison of the kites by a retailer who stocks cab's, wipika, north, takoon, and his list had the top kites as follows:

1. 2003 BT/X2
2. North Rhino 2
3. Naish Aero 2/Cabrinha Co2

He tied the X2 with the BT but said it definitely had better jumping than the X2, as did the rhino 2 incidentally.

What he did say which was interesting was between the x2 and aero 2, the 2003 cab's and the new norths, all are damn good kites and you won't go wrong with any of them.

jed
Medium Poster

Postby jed » Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:20 am

the New Cabrinhas arrived in my local surf store today, i didn;t get to pull the kite out and have a good look, but i did cop a feel of the new bar; I really really liked the power / de power twist and lock feature and it looks alot more positive in feel than the 2002 wipika system whi i think started the trend, a nice piece of technology for sure.

i wasn't at all impressed by the quick release on the depower loop. I thought it was stiff to release and a real nightmare to put back together in a reride situation while out at sea. The standard pin and loop system seams a better option.

Anybody else had a look yet...??

P.S. again, no chicken loop option...???

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 27, 2002 7:37 am

MissionMan
1. MissionMan is an "anonymous" name
2. I posted but didn't call Cabrinha crap I was post #11
3. What...... when your out at the lake
and a bladder goes bad from nothing that is your fault, you have no right to be mad?
4. then you get a replacement set and spend the time to replace the leading edge, only for that set to last less than the original, what........no right to be pissed off
5. Then you get another replacement set but it has a 12.2 bladder in it instead of the 9.4, all the while all of the other struts need replacing.........gee I'm not upset yet
6 Okay all bladders replaced twice kite seems okay except I have a 12.2 leading edge bladder in my 9.4 but it works so heck with it I'm not changing it, and the dealer aint exactly handing me the right bladder.
7. What the heck I buy the 2002 7.2 BT absolutely great kite, but lets see I broke the carbon batten on one tip, and guess what try and replace that, oh and btw when it broke it went into the main bladder....oh great........luckily I was able to repair the bladder, and I had a local cut and then sew in a replacement batten.

So basically do I have any reason to not want to stick with Cabrinha?

I am pretty tolerant, and wouldn't bad mouth cabrinha on the beach, but after buying an X-2.....I'm sorry but the performance and the lack of problems with that kite...it's a pretty simple decision. I still figure a 2003 Cabrinha will be a great kite.
Bottom line.... we spoke our opinion, which someone can take with a grain of salt if they want.

hopein for wind

Jeff
from Nevada

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 27, 2002 7:43 am

Oh and I forgot the leading edge opened up after a hindenburg and the 12.2 new bladder was a balloon out of the 1 foot hole, but after it was sewn up the bladder survived.......amazing huh.
Oh and I just bought a surface to air 5.5
thier boards are great, I'm not quite ready to start bragging about thier kites.......maybe some others can for now.

Jeff

norts_grom
Medium Poster

Postby norts_grom » Sun Oct 27, 2002 12:07 pm

we have the co2 and black tip where i work......they are built a little stronger than last year, dacron on the trailing edge the bar is different, but ive herd good reports about them.......they turn fast....slightly unstable in gusty conditions, (but which kite isnet?), still they are really powerfull and id say the best kite ive flown so far

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Sun Oct 27, 2002 8:13 pm

Jeff, the annonymous postings still make it difficult to see whether its one rider slating the product the whole time, and in a lot of the posts it looks like it is. The anonymous post like "forget it" saying nothing about the product helps nothing. At least in your post, you mention what you did and didn't like, and it wasn't you I had a problem with...seemed like an honest opinion...

The bladders were an issue in 2001 models. Why that has relevence to the 2003 I have no idea but go figure. Why the anonymous poster considers Cabrinha screwed the public with a problem which I am pretty sure was not intended to break, is a mystery. It was a mistake and the process of testing new materials produces these problems...like mylar did.

Comments like "Ah, but those who "ride them" have a vested interest in liking what they own. Those who demoed other brands, knew they were sub-par kites." shows the extent of this.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Sun Oct 27, 2002 8:38 pm

On 2002-10-25 22:15, Anonymous wrote:
I'm an average rider, who rides a 2002, 12.2 Cabrinha BT, and I love it. It is a wonderful kite, very efficient and resistant.
I wonder why is it that in every forum I visit, there is always some anonymous writer talking shit about Cabrinha kites.
Is there any kind of campaign going on, or something??
Almost every person I talk to, who rides one is very happy with it too, and I’ve met a lot of owners.
It seems that there is a big difference between what real users say, and what anonymous posts say on forums.
Does any other Cabrinha user have the same feeling?
Thank you.
See fokiten's post under "best kite" thread all shall be made clear

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:06 am

Hi MissionMan
I probably should stop posting on this thread but here goes one more.
Yes....most of my problems were 2001 related and my 2002 problem irritated me more than was justified..... probably because of just finishing dealing with my 2001 problems.Hand it to Cabrinha they stood behind thier product with bladder warranties. I love using my 2002 7.2 BT, and the only complaint I have is the bar pressure, which really never bothered me until I owned an X-2......guess I'm one who would like an Airblast too. It is however unfair to compare an X-2 to 2002 BT as X-2 was released pretty late in the year. I won't be able to see a 2003 BT till next year, as our season is over here.

Jeff

Return to “Kitesurfing”