Peter Lynn Venom?

Forum for kitesurfers
sidestancesports
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Peter Lynn Venom?

Postby sidestancesports » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:33 am

Over the last couple of days I have seen a 16m Venom out in 20+knts. Most other riders were on 10m kites. What I cant fiqure out is the depower on these beasts. I was of the school of thought that ram airs are more powerful than inflatable of the same size. I have a7m Hq Beanmer that pulls like a 12 inflatable. So what is the go with these kites?

WANTSOME

Postby WANTSOME » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:04 am

The PL ARC`s don`t have the same power as an LEI of the same size...but from what I`ve heard of this Venom it`s getting closer..

Maybe the next PL ARC will be a match...but as we all know LEI`s are different from brand 2 brand...eg 1 16m can = the grunt of another`s 18 etc,etc

Wind range wise the new ARC`s are pretty impressive..

The New venom and the current Phantom have a little trick up there sleeve.. INTERNAL POWER ADJUSTER..

Not only do you get a Vgood range through centre line adjustment, you also a have a strap inside the kite which change`s the power of the kite again..

kitesurfbali
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Sanur , Bali, Indonesia
Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
Lakey Peak, Sumbawa, Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Too many....
Style: Waves shredder
Gear: Ozone, Airush, F-One, Peter Lynn - Kites
Airush, Underground, Surf X-treme custom - boards
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn, Ozone, Airush, Underground, F-One, Surf X-treme custom

Postby kitesurfbali » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:54 am

Hello look in review for more details...
Today 2 people out with Venom 16 me and another guy.
14 to 19 mph (on I-windsurf-Topanga) 16:00 to 17:00 ...
having good fun nicely upwind and high floating jump never had to depower the kite even in gust.
2 others rider were on Naish X4, as can't see the size I tought they were using 16-14 meter.... back on the beach I asked them and both were using 12 meter!!!! I was really surprise....
Bye Jankie

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:34 pm

Hi,
I recently purchased a 19m inflatable I guess with more top end. I felt like I could go for several more knots on the high end easily. The low end is more liek 12knots though for a 210 lb guy. so maybe 12-20or so for a comfy range? anyway, pretty similar to the 2004 19m fuel range but a few more on the top end. great kite so far. just don:t get sand in the damn zippers!!!! and the spars suck. too weak and kind of a pain. but really better than those damn misterious holes in the bladders. :lol: Cant wait for the 13m I ordered. thanks traig for all oyour help. :thumb:

Mr Float
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Mr Float » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:07 pm

Do you mean Venom ?What length lines did you get?

Regards

Lach
biggins wrote:Hi,
I recently purchased a 19m inflatable I guess with more top end. I felt like I could go for several more knots on the high end easily. The low end is more liek 12knots though for a 210 lb guy. so maybe 12-20or so for a comfy range? anyway, pretty similar to the 2004 19m fuel range but a few more on the top end. great kite so far. just don:t get sand in the damn zippers!!!! and the spars suck. too weak and kind of a pain. but really better than those damn misterious holes in the bladders. :lol: Cant wait for the 13m I ordered. thanks traig for all oyour help. :thumb:

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:30 am

Oh yeah, :oops: I meant Venom. I was pretty tired when I wrote that. I used both 27m and 30m lines with different set ups. pulley bar and peter lynn bar. the pulley was nice but I wasn:t able to realize how much depower the kite had until I used a chicken loop. great kite a little slow in the light winds good lift, crappy zippers!!! and the spars suck! otherwise great kite. the set up takes as long as an inflatable and putting it away sucks worse trying to get the air out in a windy spot with crappy spars sand etc. but man it:s a sweet ride once in the air! jmo though

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:39 pm

a friend of mine rides 16m venom....its bottom end could be better but its top end....well...its yet to be determined....today inwinds gusting to 25+...he had to pull the trim strap in a bit...

the other day....a small squall came through...the wind meter reading 23-29knots on the beach...virtually all inflatables 10m and above were struggling bad...my 11m was maxed out....the venom 16 was fine....while the LE fliers were having guys on the beach grab their kites as they were getting dragged along....the venom kiter walked in with the kite above him not even holding onto the bar...trim strap pulled in....tho not overpowered....aparently the first SARCs didn't have virtually any depower....

i've tried the venom 16m twice....first time ever with a PL kite....its a nice friendly kite...easy to use...relatively quick on a 50cm bar and 25 m lines...and smoothpower through turns...was using it in about 15-16 knots but felt like it was just starting to enter its fun stage....i'd say t would be great in 18+

MonkeyAir
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MonkeyAir » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:15 pm

Hi Biggins.
Leave the spars in and roll up the kite and shove it in it's bag with the bottom of the bag extended with the zipper as designed. Quick kite to get in the air and back to the hotel that way. (Half the time of my leis) In all the years of using and pimping these kites, I have only seen one ruined zipper and that was on a kite that was proto and had quite a few years on it. Just keep it clean occasionaly with yer tooth brush...:o)
Have Fun.
Traig

Mr Float
Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Float » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:39 pm

50cm bar and 25 m lines

At least the bar length was right, but 25 m Lines ?You will not get good bottom end with 25 m lines with a twin skin kite.Like twin skin vs single skin hangliders they have better L/D but need to fly faster to develop lift.The 25 m lines does not allow enough power stroke to achieve this
25 m are not too bad an idea though because in their mid to high range they are faster turning for waves .Add 5m extensions for the bottom end of the range and crank up that internal leach.I was the only one to hold my ground on the 19 V yesterday with this set up in really light wind.

All the best

Lach

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:02 pm

Ok, zippers are good now and I think I:ll just leave the spars in now that I:ve got the "every imaginable option" bag down. :lol: REALLY sweet kite. Ill be on the 13m tomorrow in 25-30 knots hopefully. This should be gooooood. Thanks again Traig for the hook up. BTW you have to give the skim another try especially in the light CA winds!
:thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”