Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Severe Accident In Northern Europe

Forum for kitesurfers
fokiten
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby fokiten » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:41 am

However,,,,

To say one can buy common sense is quite questionable.

Personally I doubt it, dumb fucks are immune to council

the real sad part about the safety thing is that it may fosters confidence where prudence might serve one better.

(When I got new sneakers as a sprout, I could run twice as fast, the superhero thing is VERY real)

Helmet+ impact-vest= I'm geared for trouble, so launch me.

As regards foreseeable stuff it's all common sense, either you have it or you don't.

As for the unforeseeable stuff it's just a matter of luck.

hey >>,,,BAM what crippled and busted up those kiters?

It was either lack of common sense or bad luck.

The catch, the thing that fucks us is of course the stoke....

Safety is the sand piled over the heads of the curious, the fog that blurs a clear horizon,

It's my opinion that anyone who needs to be told which way the wind is blowing is in deep shit, and sould not be taught for their own good.

The stoke effectivly erases common sense, add a helmet and you're as good as launched,,,,safety,,,it just ain't what it's alleged to be...

It's more a side-step manuvuer than anything else...

Work the stoke and promise the safety for sales sake

and your up to your neck in denial...or worse!

Yeah, I know,,,just deny it....

What's new?

fokiten

Bubba Ho-Tep
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Bubba Ho-Tep » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:18 am

Why has no one made the point that in the great game of life ONLY Mother Nature says who's a dumbass and who isn't?
If an individual is of any intellectual ability he/she/it learns not only from their own mistakes but utilises the experiences of others.

Thanks for all the info on risk minimisation RickI.

So...let us all learn from but NOT be so sad at the demise /injury of others.
Deaths/Injuries are merely Mother Natures way of saying...
" Dude...Out of the gene pool, NOW!!!"

:bye:
Last edited by Bubba Ho-Tep on Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

KiteHighTaco
Rare Poster

Postby KiteHighTaco » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:30 am

I want video footage.

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:44 am

theflyingtinman wrote:Sure, no amount of beating everyone over the head with stats and
analyses will keep the ICHTMs out of the database, but there is one
category of rider that may find reading the database a good way to
keep their name out of it: the IDRTCH ( I Didn't Realize That Could
Happen! )

Steve T
Good point, although a quick read through the current database covers almost everything - on extremely rare occasions there are freak accidents and it's good to hear about some new gotcha, but gusty squalls are nothing new (literally dozens of examples already in the db)...

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:09 am

As much repetition as there has been in many accidents in the past, there are still some new accident variations occurring sad to say.

The means of reducing the probability of accidents still seem to be considered at the link below along with the application of careful judgment. Practices that might have avoided the accidents are pretty repetitious over the lot however, by design.

Use poor and/or careless practices ---> increase the probability of an accident

It isn't rocket science nor is it new. Do your homework and have a care.

More here

"It is a good thing to learn caution from the misfortunes of others."
Publilius Syrus (1st century B.C.)

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

theflyingtinman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby theflyingtinman » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:43 am

Tom183 wrote:
theflyingtinman wrote:Sure, no amount of beating everyone over the head with stats and
Happen! )

Steve T
Good point, although a quick read through the current database covers almost everything - on extremely rare occasions there are freak accidents and it's good to hear about some new gotcha, but gusty squalls are nothing new (literally dozens of examples already in the db)...
And as the repetitions accumulate there will evolve yet another class of database beneficiary ... the "OMG! That Shit Seems to Happen a Lot ... Maybe I'd Better Take More Notice of the Conditions" (too long for an ancronym;)

Steve T

selassie
Frequent Poster

Postby selassie » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:22 am

:thumb:
Attachments
t posi.jpg
t posi.jpg (6.08 KiB) Viewed 1523 times

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:23 pm

theflyingtinman wrote:
Tom183 wrote:
Happen! )

Steve T
And as the repetitions accumulate there will evolve yet another class of database beneficiary ... the "OMG! That Shit Seems to Happen a Lot ... Maybe I'd Better Take More Notice of the Conditions" (too long for an ancronym;)

Steve T
Yeah - you'll get some interesting numbers just adding up the guys who were told not to go out and went anyway...

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:27 pm

Excellent point Tom. There are a number of kiteboarders who were cautioned in the past about marginal riding techniques that put themselves and even others at risk. Some of these guys have been seriously injured while others passed on.

If a friend suggests you take it a bit easier or avoid conditions, give it careful thought. Warnings like that can be worth more than gold.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:40 pm

Tom183 wrote: Yeah - you'll get some interesting numbers just adding up the guys who were told not to go out and went anyway...

RickI wrote:Excellent point Tom. There are a number of kiteboarders who were cautioned in the past about marginal riding techniques that put themselves and even others at risk. Some of these guys have been seriously injured while others passed on.

If a friend suggests you take it a bit easier or avoid conditions, give it careful thought. Warnings like that can be worth more than gold.
Please Note, this supports the notion that you cannot teach common sense; that dumb-fucks are indeed immune to council; that consequentially instruction is by no means a cure for the human condition.

So lets actually learn something about kiting & safety instruction,,,,

kiting is not for most folk, safety instruction is of limited value, it's not the end-all be-all; certainly NOT what it's cracked up to be.

This soliciting the innocent into kiteing in the name of safety is just FUCKING WRONG.

It's time we stopped pretending...

It's time for some equity in the safety patter...

Read the data

fokiten

Return to “Kitesurfing”