Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Don't do Stupid Kiteboarding Tricks

Forum for kitesurfers
Si_B
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Si_B » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:36 am

It was watching some chap doing really slick transitions from his heel edge then onto his toe edge, then carving out of the turn (in massive arc's with a hugh kicker coming off the board), which made me want to kite surf. Really cool to watch.

Don't want to be rude, but when I was spectating, the "experts" looked out of control some of the time, and of course, all of the tricks had to be done in front of everyone, by the shore, in the shallow water. Dangerous, and not that impressive.

Still, I can't even get on my toe edge without face planting, so who am I to talk. Those carving gybes seem a long way off :cry:

selassie
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

like omg!

Postby selassie » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:53 am

jaxxy wrote:now calm down fellas... im just giving the point of view from someone standing on the edge of the water watching, im not sayng anything about hte skill sof guys who CAN land things like that im just saying it doesnt look that good... im sure it is totally satisfying and gives u a hell rush n all the crashes n painful f*** ups have paid off finally but sometimes it just doesnt look any good. sorry but it just doesnt. n u can bag me out as much as u like for not actually being able to do it, i prolly would too if i were in ur position... but kiting just isnt as graceful or good looking (for lack of a better word) as say surfing or skateboarding... IMO...

omg!

jex, you are like sooo kewl!

like omg youd have like the sickest ill style on earth if you were like a kiter in real life...

omg.

:/

Elizabeth_Wello_Kiter
Rare Poster

Postby Elizabeth_Wello_Kiter » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:00 am

Mate, the rush I get from just doing the most basic things such as staying upwind for a little while! In my opinion, it doesn't matter if the guys where I kite try and bust a move and don't fully make it, at least they tried and got halfway there! When they make it, even if I am watching and not out there, the thrill to know they made it and the howls of "scored one" and "go mate".. It's such an adrenalin rush to know that they can do it, and hopefully, oneday soon I can be busting moves like these guys can do... People have to appreciate the time, dedication and practice these guys do to bust these moves and to make them work! It's well worth it mate... Kite's Up :)

jan_kite
Rare Poster

Postby jan_kite » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:04 am

Ahhh!!

Every sport has to enhance! If there is no evolution, it bores me to death. Thats the cause why kitesurfing is so great.
There are so much moves to learn! Oldscooltricks are too easy to learn. The newscool-moves need more time on the water and are more punishing. That increases my level of adrenalin, not jumping high, hold a grab, and count to ten ;)

And you kite for you, not for spectators!

greetz
Jan

bob10
Frequent Poster

Postby bob10 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:19 am

whilst i was out in egypt last week i was really tryin to nail my front mobes.

i went out for over 2 hours and thats all i did.must of tryed and wiped out over 100 times and nailed myself, and then wen i got it for the first time it was the most awesom feeling

paulcam03
Rare Poster

Smooth ride - cool runnings

Postby paulcam03 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:19 pm

I agree with Si_B. It was the smooth riders that first got me into the sport. Not the skateboard-like tricksters. I respect the dudes at the top end for their co-ordination and skill. But, I still think spectators on the beach divert their attention to the smooth dudes carving it up, getting nice air and smooth landings. Maybe the new bow-kites will add some smoothness into the sport.

vietkiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vietkiter » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:48 pm

Kiting is still very young... Refinement and style comes with maturation... Power can be smooth or rough... Go to a cable park or watch the world class wakeboard comp... see how beautiful and stylist it can be... just because it isn't done well (in kiting) now doesn't mean it won't... props to those who push the envelope... broken bones and blown knees are the price they pay... without them... we would all be watching hang time comps... and we would all styled ourselves experienced/advanced kiters... a sign of an immature sport is when 90% of kiters believe they are good

seamonkey
Rare Poster

Postby seamonkey » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:15 pm

Hang on. Why are we out there anyway? Is it to look as good as possible to anyone who might me watching? Or is it to have as much fun as you can doing whatever you feel like.

Listening to some people would cause me to believe that unless someone is watching, kiters wouldn't pull off any tricks at all !!

finishandtrim
Rare Poster

Don't do stupid kiteboard tricks

Postby finishandtrim » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:22 pm

It's alot about age also, older spectators new kiters like the basic moves transitions, etc while young groms are into sick radical, moves, it's the same in surfing, us old farts are stoked if we hook up our lines correctly and everything comes out okay after a bowl of bran flakes in the morning. Joe.

72kiteboarder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby 72kiteboarder » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:05 pm

Don't start threads telling people what to do.

Return to “Kitesurfing”