4T
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: the brain and hands behind C3 - CustomCarbonComposites
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby 4T » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:08 am

no safety feature on any kite will stop the rider from being stupid. :o

as i said before, there is a danger to the people learning on a Xbow type kite if they are not made aware of the danger of crossing over to a classic C.
i just hope that any shop that sells those kites makes sure to inform potential customers and that any kite instructor does the same.

i really hope that we will see similar safety oriented kites from all manufacturers ASAP. it will be good for the sport in many ways.

Ocean Lover
Medium Poster

Postby Ocean Lover » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:44 pm

It is almost funny how we in the kiting community have been screaming bloody murder about how the manufacturers are not taking safety seriously.. and now that there is a system that seems to be almost kook proof (I've tried one.. the xbow feels a lot like my old windsurfer.. drop the bar and you are safe) and we are worried that the kooks that learn on it might be unsafe on the old gear that really and truly IS unsafe for ANYONE when shit really hits the fan!

Wake up. The gear we now ride is dead. Resale value of your used gear is going to shit. All manufactures are going to spend the next months/years refining their own particular versions of the bow kites. The safety revolution has started. It is going to cost money, but it's damn cool that it's here!

Peace.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:31 pm

Ocean Lover wrote:It is almost funny how we in the kiting community have been screaming bloody murder about how the manufacturers are not taking safety seriously.. and now that there is a system that seems to be almost kook proof (I've tried one.. the xbow feels a lot like my old windsurfer.. drop the bar and you are safe) and we are worried that the kooks that learn on it might be unsafe on the old gear that really and truly IS unsafe for ANYONE when shit really hits the fan!

Wake up. The gear we now ride is dead. Resale value of your used gear is going to shit. All manufactures are going to spend the next months/years refining their own particular versions of the bow kites. The safety revolution has started. It is going to cost money, but it's damn cool that it's here!

Peace.
Please keep in mind,

Letting go is not a natural thing to do, you have to be conditioned to let go, the way to become conditioned to letting go is to not let go a few times. BAM,,,,skip,,skip BAM,, skip,, BAM...

That's how you become conditioned,, better stay in deepwater no matter your kite, face it we are what is unsafe, don't matter if your kite is smart until you get smart.

Deep water is the only sensible place to learn this sport...

Nothing has changed

fo

gbgreen59
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbgreen59 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:34 pm

I agree Fo...

I've let a few people fly my 2.5m Bullet (zero pull if you let go of the bar). I stand by them and tell them to let go of the bar, and they still won't do it.

Also, anyone who has waterskied knows that many 1st time skiers will hold on to the rope after they fall even though they are getting towed underwater at 15-20 mph. As Fo said, they learn pretty fast after having experienced the underwater tow.

Balloonboy
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: sandy
Style: Kook-style
Gear: Kite + bar + board

Postby Balloonboy » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:51 pm

Problem is trying to determine in a split second when the shit happens, whether or not it is manageable. In other words is it shit-or- is it SHIT!!

Most times it's minor shit- so hang on and recover. But sometimes it ain't.

With conventional systems no one (ok, few) want pull the trigger prematurely and drop their kite, get it wet, mess up their lines etc. when they believe it may for example, only be 2 foot loft. They don't know at the time if its 2ft. or 50ft. but they hope or believe its the former.

Problem is of course; that every 50 ft launch starts as a 2 footer.
And that most fool proof systems aren't- that the fool can override (pun)by hanging on too long.

Never tried one-with Xbow- would the bar could be pulled from your hands in say a major gust? Or does your brain need to be involved ("Let go of the goddam bar stoopid!").

4T
Medium Poster
Location: the brain and hands behind C3 - CustomCarbonComposites

Postby 4T » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:54 pm

i totally agree with this statement, but sooner or later you have to come ashore or by accident you are going to end up close to an obstacle.
Nothing has changed
and i totally disagree here, because a lot has changed when you actually have the option of letting go and stop the pull. why you couldn't or choose not to is another story.
the tolerance to gusty winds seems to be another thing that has fundametally changed compared to classic C's.

the Xbow has only been available for a month or so now and it is far from being perfect, but it has changed the landscape already.
i really hope the other manufacturers are buying a licence from bruno too and put the emphasis on making the sport safer, instead of trying to make the bow kites behave like the classic C's, which will probably include their bad habits...

i'll let it go now. be safe and fair winds

:bye:

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:59 pm

GB/59, Thanks man,,

I think all we users know enough about what's up to be able to avoid the dangers and help just about anyone learn to kite.

The trouble is, we don't want to teach people so we say go get lessons.

The problem is kite lessons are big business, and they don't have to teach kitesurfing to cover thier ass.

In fact, why even take that risk at all??

The ad says SAFE,,SAFETY FIRST, and so it is that you can:

hire teenagers for a song and just pussify the whole program, and limit it to the safety stuff,

Think about it, they keep the kitesurf name but avoid the risk of teaching it.

So it's now:

blah, blah, blah avoid rocks,, blah blah blah, and that's the right of way rules,, bla bla bla, pinch the nipple like this,,blah blah bla,, roll it from the ends to get the air out,,blah,blah,blah, now the windwindow,,blah blah blah,,front line here got it?,,blah blah blah,,you did really great,,blah blah blah,, the rest is up to you,,good luck.

It's totally insurable totally risk free totally SAFE

enough....

I know there are good teachers, you'll know them by where they are teaching,,they are on watercraft helping folks to actually kitesurf.

God Bless the good ones

fo

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:17 pm

4T wrote:
i totally agree with this statement, but sooner or later you have to come ashore or by accident you are going to end up close to an obstacle.
Nothing has changed
and i totally disagree here, because a lot has changed when you actually have the option of letting go and stop the pull. why you couldn't or choose not to is another story.
the tolerance to gusty winds seems to be another thing that has fundametally changed compared to classic C's.

the Xbow has only been available for a month or so now and it is far from being perfect, but it has changed the landscape already.
i really hope the other manufacturers are buying a licence from bruno too and put the emphasis on making the sport safer, instead of trying to make the bow kites behave like the classic C's, which will probably include their bad habits...

i'll let it go now. be safe and fair winds

:bye:
Regards my man 4T,

Well,

I for one will never own a kite with gross bar pressure, f*** that.

I preffer to enjoy my kiting not endure it...

And when you come ashore from a days worth of kiting you are the pilot in command,,,sure you might get nuked and die...

That's kiting,,,are you better off waving a kite around on the beach and pretending your learning to kitesurf there? LOL..

Hey,,,the beach sucks leave it or land it.

it's no safety boon to take up this sport, actually you kiss your safety good bye,,,why pretend other wise? well unless you're into pimping some aspect of it of course.

Regards 4T

welcome to the forum
fo

Hel2bDoct0r!
Rare Poster

Postby Hel2bDoct0r! » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:54 pm

The crossbow is pretty stupid imo.

I dont see where it would be an advantage over a c kite no matter what your style.

Bunk jumping power, shitty bar pressure, bridels on a LEI? - gay, worthless for powered moves /wakstyle, culky big poorly designed bar.

Maybe it has a place in the geezers quiver who just likes to fart around back and forth on flat water but stilllll its pretty lame IMO.

El_Gran_Extractor
Frequent Poster

Postby El_Gran_Extractor » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:02 pm

The one question I have is why they don't make a crossbow bigger then 16 m ?
Why not a 20 m crossbow ? To hard for the bridle to sustain the shape ? To slow ? Barpressure to high ?

If this is the new revolutionary design .. why can't it be used for real light kiteboarding ?

Return to “Kitesurfing”