Forum for snow- and landkiters
alex6969
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

spots in NEW JERSEY

Postby alex6969 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:22 pm

Any one know of good spots in New Jersey U.S.A.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:48 am

If and when we get snow, you have only a few options. Budd Lake in N. New Jersey is a decent spot, Also the corn fields in Medford off rte. 70 can be good. For more spots call Mike at Island Surf and Sail in Brant Beach.
islandsurf-sail.com
(609)494-5553

SethP
Medium Poster

Postby SethP » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:40 am

Hi! We have a Yahoo Group for snowkiters in the NY/NJ region. Send an email to NESnowkite-subscribe@yahoogroups.com to subscribe.

Our favorite spot in the region is Lake Wallenpaupack in PA. It has a 2-mile wide open area, and is 14 miles long, and we've had many great sessions there. There are other kiters in NJ on the list, so you can ask there for other spots.

Once Wallenpaupack freezes, some of us are there almost every weekend, and I'm hoping to get there on weekday every week as well.

Where in NJ are you and what do you fly?

Hopefully we'll see you at Wallenpaupack!

Seth

alex6969
Medium Poster

Postby alex6969 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:26 pm

SethP wrote:Hi! We have a Yahoo Group for snowkiters in the NY/NJ region. Send an email to NESnowkite-subscribe@yahoogroups.com to subscribe.

Our favorite spot in the region is Lake Wallenpaupack in PA. It has a 2-mile wide open area, and is 14 miles long, and we've had many great sessions there. There are other kiters in NJ on the list, so you can ask there for other spots.

Once Wallenpaupack freezes, some of us are there almost every weekend, and I'm hoping to get there on weekday every week as well.

Seth
Hi Seth

I fly Cabrinha Nitros. Do I need a foil kite for snowkiting?

What's the best average kite size at Wallenpaupack?

Can you let me know when you guys go there?
Thanks
Alex

SethP
Medium Poster

Postby SethP » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:18 pm

Hi! Winds on Wallenpaupack typically are in the 10-20 range; usually 15-20 when we've been there. You should be able to figure out what size kite you'll need based upon your weight. I weigh 210, and my first season there I flew only my Frenzy 7.3, then I added a Psycho2 13, and for this season I have a Venom 13 & 19. For ice skates, I sometimes use a 2 meter trainer on handles.

You should have no problems with your LEIs as long as you have 5th line or other relaunch system. In the cold foils tend to be easier to get going since you don't have to deal with valves, but it doesn't get too cold there, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Subscribe to our Yahoo Group -- we coordinate all of our outings in there so we don't fill up this forum.

Seth

sreed
Rare Poster

Postby sreed » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:48 pm

SethP wrote:Winds on Wallenpaupack typically are in the 10-20 range; usually 15-20 when we've been there...
Seth
Hey Seth,

What are the surface conditions like (e.g. icey, hard packed)

Thanks,
Shane

sreed
Rare Poster

Postby sreed » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:50 pm

SethP wrote:Winds on Wallenpaupack typically are in the 10-20 range; usually 15-20 when we've been there...
Seth
Hey Seth,

What are the surface conditions like (e.g. icey, hard packed)

Thanks,
Shane

SethP
Medium Poster

Postby SethP » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:35 am

It's a big frozen lake in the Northeast, so the conditions go from slick ice to slushy snow to nice fresh power...typically, though, it tends to be hardpack snow. Great for both skis and snowboards.

Seth

aprok
Medium Poster

Postby aprok » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:35 am

SethP wrote:Hi! We have a Yahoo Group for snowkiters in the NY/NJ region. Send an email to NESnowkite-subscribe@yahoogroups.com to subscribe.

Seth
Seth, have you ever thought of fitting ice skate blades on a mountain board for icy conditions instead of ice skating?

SethP
Medium Poster

Postby SethP » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:38 am

Funny you should ask! Check out: http://boardsportsusa.com/tab1/store/it ... blade.html That attaches to a regular snowboard, and I've been told is best on mixed conditions, rather than glare ice.

For the ultimate ice machine, check out Keith's Ice Monkey at http://www.mticesports.com/gallery/iceboarding

Seth

Return to “Snow / Land”