Forum for snow- and landkiters
The Jess-Man
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Looking for Bindings - Don't Get Flows

Postby The Jess-Man » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:35 pm

I don't use flow but I do understand the convenience of them. Kite in the air, step in, lock in, gone.

The other day I was out kiteboarding and I noticed that after about 2 minutes of riding my thigh were getting a really good work out. They were screaming at me. I am constantly stuck with my legs bent and no way to stretch them out with out stopping to take a breather.

Then it occurred to me. "Why the hell do I need all this support?" Answer, "I don't."

So I set out make my board more snowkite friendly. I have 2003 burton P1 Bindings. Best mod you can do, take the backs off an move your bindings as far forward as possible. Once you try this it's like Night and day.

Yesterday when I went out I also scrapped my snowboard boots for my regular snow boots. What a difference these changes made. I felt more like I was riding on water then I was on snow. I could straighten my legs out, no burning, all the edge control I needed. Heel side, toes side, it was all there.

If you are looking for a new set of bindings for kiting don't get flows. The only reason I say this is because you can't take the backs off. Get a cheap pair of regular bindings the you can remove the back from (Burton Customs) and just use your regular out door snow boots. The only thing to consider is that if you are getting a new pair of bindings to use with your snow boots is that you may need a smaller size from what you regularly wear with your snowboard boots (my bindings are a large and I really only need a medium).

If you try this set up it will change the whole way you ride in the snow.

You will love it. Trust me.

The Jess-Man
Attachments
no backs..JPG
no backs..JPG (87.67 KiB) Viewed 7722 times

KGN
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KGN » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:50 pm

Not sure what model you have,but every kiter I know thats using a snowboard has Flows,and using them no problem.Your legs burining doesnt mean its from the binding,more likely just early season session.
Also could be stance ect
its good you found something you like,but to tell people not to buy Flows cuase you cant make them work doesnt make sense,esp since guys have been using and loving them here for years..My legs get a little sore,but I have been riding 3 days in deep powder.
I dont use flows either but my bindings are even more stiff and supportive than flows.I use burton step ins,would much rather flows.

FredMurphy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredMurphy » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:52 pm

It's good to see someone doing some experimenting. Maybe it is easier to snowkite with less support. The title of the post does make it sound like there's something wrong with Flows though, which isn't really the case.

The Jess-Man
Very Frequent Poster

Postby The Jess-Man » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:59 pm

No. It's not really the case at all. I never said there was anything wrong with flow. Flows are great. I just wanted to get your attention so you can try something new and what I believe to be better.

J.

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:02 pm

Most likely your problem was with your boots, I have some nice Burton boots that suck for kiting, to much forward lean in them, its really hard to edge with your knees bent. So for the past 4 years I use a good cheap pair of Lamars, no problem with them.

not annonymous
Very Frequent Poster

Postby not annonymous » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:05 pm

I agree with KGN, I have tried the flows once and they are more convenient than my old-fashioned buckle bindings.

Jess-man I have seen some kids at the local snowboard hill with their bindings set up like yours.

I have thought about trying that way myself but usually for kiting I am riding on hard-packed snow or else a thin layer of snow over ice; I feel like I need the "high-back" in order to edge effectively. Are you using your bindings successfully in these kind of conditions or are you mostly riding on soft deep snow?

trent

The Jess-Man
Very Frequent Poster

Postby The Jess-Man » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:07 pm

not annonymous,

I live in Ontario. We kite on everything. In a typical run you'l hit everything from deep snow, ice, rocks an dirt. I can hold it all with this setup. Actually I find it easier.

I agree, FLows are way more convenient but I think the performance gains are worth it.

When riding as the terrain changes I'm able to ajust my board by changing the flex in my ankle instead of using my whole body. I was finding that when I rode with the backs on my bindings if I went from deep snow into shallower stuff I would have to stand up right so I wouldn't be digging my heel edge into the dirt below. I found I always had to use my whole body to change the angle of my board because the back on my bindings wouldn't allow me to level out my board with out my body standing more up right. With out the backs and extra flex I can adjust the angle of my board with out haveing the change my body position. I'm also finding that I can go up wind way easier and handle gust much better.

I really have nothing against flows but think that this option offers everyone a big performance gain over stiff bindings. If you have the oprotunity give this mod a try. I think you'll like it.

J.

The Jess-Man
Very Frequent Poster

Postby The Jess-Man » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:18 pm

If you need to compare it to something, it feels like you are riding on water.

J.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:33 pm

like straps and bindings.

i cant ride bindings, they push all the torsion up to my knees and leave me unable to finesse the board on the water, straps work fine.

same with snow boarding, i do my boots loose, ratchet the toe strap to max, and barely fasten the top strap, i feel like i get more finesse from this, but loose some response.

hourses for courses,

the p1's are way soft, burtons softest highbacks this year.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:39 pm

I finding are exactly same i completely agree with Jess Man.

The worst thing is High back set to high forward lean.

You need much less support to kite snowboard than downhill snowboard.

Actualy it is possible to kite just with very big straps as somebody some time ago say. See picture, This is for ultimate water feeling.

But i can imagine that this is also matter of riding style and not every body may like it.
Attachments
snowboard.jpg
snowboard.jpg (32.55 KiB) Viewed 7647 times

Return to “Snow / Land”