Packing Kites

Forum for kitesurfers
FlyinElvis
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

airlines

Postby FlyinElvis » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:58 pm

i have a few tricks, coming from hydrofoiling where my ski is very heavy.

I bought this (I needed the double one)
http://www.skbcases.com/sports/product/golf/hard.html

anyway, it fits my ski, boards, suits, helmet, etc. It's probably a little big for kiteboarding, but what i did was throw a couple of golf clubs in on top of the ski. (they charge me extra when I say it's a water ski, not when I say it's golf clubs)...so I tell them I have golf clubs in there.

the lady at the counter never opens it.... but most of the time, I drop it off at the curb and slide the guy(or girl) a 20. they don't even weigh it, they just slide it on through.... pretty slick.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:58 pm

Kite Adventures wrote:We've never had a problem national or internationally!
70 lbs maybe???

they just mark it as heavy, but we've never had to pay extra.
Gotcha. I guess for international travel you're good... 70 lbs limit is the norm. I find that even when snowboarding I push up against that 50 lbs domestic limit....

Detlef
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cabarete, Cumbuco.
Gear: Kites: Best TS, Board: Best Armada

Postby Detlef » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:17 pm

I have only a small boardbag and we take our kites (two smaller ones in one rucksack) as hand luggage into the airplane, so that we have them under control. In six years of international travel I never payed extra.

Detlef

Driller
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Driller » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:23 pm

the nsi bags are getting knowen i had to pay 50 dollars because they saw the NSI Golf Bag Logo and said they new what was inside so i had to show them. It was going to the bahamas you might think twice about getting the NSI bag it's only time before they all figure out or take the logo off the side

deltawake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby deltawake » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:46 pm

I use the Best "golf bag" and I've never had a problem in about ten trips.
I usually put my 20m, 17m and 13m in the bag along with 1 board and my bar/ lines and harness. I then take my 9m and pump on the plane as a carry on.
At the end of the day though I'm not going to worry about paying $50 each way if I'm can get a few epic sessions in a new spot. It's still way cheaper than a lift ticket or even a full tank of gas in a boat.

Escalate
Medium Poster

Postby Escalate » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:09 pm

fold them up tip to tip then again... like a sheet

into a garbage back, put a vacuum cleaner on it, suck it empty, tie it off with ducktape

nova
Rare Poster

Postby nova » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:51 pm

Wear your 20m like a giant poncho, wrap your 9m turban style on your head and a cleverly tied 14m can look just like parachute pants. Now you have space in your luggage for duty free and souvenirs.

Most flights let you take on a free garment bag with your hand luggage. Might be a sneaky option.

N.

Return to “Kitesurfing”