How? Do you start from a Boat.

Forum for kitesurfers
ckramer
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ckramer » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:35 am

I think that is the easiest, I never had the fortune to have jetski assistance, so maybe it is easy in my fantasy :)

As i see it, you still do everything on land normally, inflate set up lines etc etc. deflate LE and roll like it was explained earlier. Once you are out on water, inflate LE on deck. Driver on jetski you on the back with kite under arm and bar in your hand. once you are at a safe distance from boats land etc. driver takes kite under his arm, you jump uff and start unwinding. Wth the jetski it is easy to manouver... he just keeps the kite at the edge of window, and launches the kite normally...

It seems simple to me, but again I never did it, it is surely simpler than from a boat..

just do it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush Varial-X, Airush Apex
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby just do it » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:38 pm

If you go to http://www.flysurfer.de video section and download the Fuerte video it shows one of their teamriders doing a boatlaunch. Actually he just gets thrown overboard and has to rig and launch the kite.
There is also a picture guide on their website. It is in the picture section under waterlaunch. The Boatlaunch picture series isn't that clear.
It is with foilkites though and not LEIs.

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:01 pm

just do it wrote:If you go to http://www.flysurfer.de video section and download the Fuerte video it shows one of their teamriders doing a boatlaunch. Actually he just gets thrown overboard and has to rig and launch the kite.
There is also a picture guide on their website. It is in the picture section under waterlaunch. The Boatlaunch picture series isn't that clear.
It is with foilkites though and not LEIs.
Actually, the kite is already rigged (Flysurfers always have the bar/lines attached), but he does have to inflate the kite while swimming - try that with an LEI! :wink:

freezorburn
Medium Poster

Postby freezorburn » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:12 pm

Cirrus wrote:Hey - if you're gonna be there, can't you just hop over to Sandy Hook instead??
Yes, but I would burn a lot more fuel. Sandy hook is 17 nuatical miles away. I'l definatly hook up with some folks to do that, but Boat launch is the question.

The low current hot spots I would like to hit are closer and only accessable by boat.

freezorburn
Medium Poster

Postby freezorburn » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:20 pm

Oops double post...
Attachments
repost.jpg
repost.jpg (11.87 KiB) Viewed 1674 times

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:12 pm

Leave your lines on the kite.....tie said kite to the leward rail face down into the wind like when you sit it on the beach. Jump in the water on your board unroll your lines and float away from the kite. Tie your chicken loop to your fotstrap and swim up to the kite to straighten the lines out. Once you get the lines straight, untie the kite and hold onto 1 front line and sail it away from you slowly using the line to slow it down so only the corner flies. when you get to your board untie the chicken loop and go kiting....the bucket and coil launch has given me too many headaches from trying to slow the kite down and tangling my lines up.

randal
Medium Poster

Postby randal » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:22 pm

Wow that last post sounds complicated, if this is something that you plan on doing more than once, maybe its worth investing in one of those fancy plastic launch assisters...

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:05 am

Actually I launch from my boat at least 3 or 4 times a week. Good outside wave spot. I have tried the bucket and the lay it out neat on the floor. Value for time and 100 % garantee....lay the lines down wind of the kite tied to the boat .....especially with 5th line no tangles for sure. The other ways seem to leave me swearing 3 out of every 4 times.

KiteSurfingKen
Frequent Poster

Postby KiteSurfingKen » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:48 am

Quarters at my local lake are very tight during the summer (traffic), Launching from the beach is simply not an option. So we normally have one person pilot the Jet Ski and one person flying the kite. This is great when the wind is to light for anything but downwinders. Launching on the Jet Ski involves holding the leading edge in one hand to control the power and driving with the other. As the lines gain tension, release the kite from the left arm and bear hard right at WOT. The kite should fly away in the opposite direction.
We have transported my 21M BFK ready to ride for 2 miles at a stretch on a 2 person Jet Ski. Balance is key. We can travel 15mph or so before the wingtips flap too hard. Keeping the lines snug avoids wing tip line snarls.
Boats with sharp angles = costly kite repairs.
To get ready;
1. Do as others suggest, rig onshore and wrap lines carefully leaving about 10-15 feet free (depending on kite size), wrap twice around end of the bar.
2. Flip the kite over and hold the leading edge as if you were walking with it. Hold bar inside the kite and wrap enough times around to make the front lines snug.
3. With the kite fully inflated and the lines snug, board the Jet Ski facing backwards holding the kite with both arms in front of you. Lean back against the driver. With a boat try riding on the swim platform and have someone grab your harness handle. If anything happens bail off holding the leading edge.
4. At your spot, jump in the water with the kite. Have the boat/jetski motor around you and approach from a slightly upwind angle. Hand the kite to the person on the jetski/boat by the leading edge. It is important to approach the kiters from the correct angle. If things get sketchy the boat should turn away and upwind of the person in the water to avoid contact with the kite or lines.
5. Drift away from the boat unwrapping your lines. The wind should push the boat faster than you.
6. The boat should motor toward the edge of the wind window once the lines are extended and launch as if on the beach. Standing on the swim platform from a boat helps.

The trick is to bear away from the direction the kite is facing as it launches.
When assisting in relaunch, the boat should approach the kite from a sidewind angle always leaving a safe exit route. the driver should understand about wind and drift and plan accordingly to avoid lines or bad things can happen. It is best if they are also a kiter as they understand which way the kite will want to go.
HTH
Good Luck and be safe!
Ken

Ty luckett
Rare Poster

Postby Ty luckett » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:25 am

Its really, really easy.
I have been doing the boat launch just about every day since 1998.

#1- attach your lines to the kite on land , then fold kite in half ( wing tip to wing tip), rap up your lines on the bar, place your bar on top( no struts) and neer the tips of the kite.Then role up tip to tip and bag it.The only way you can f***-up the lines, is if you take the bar and duck it through the four or five line system.

#2 Load the boat and go find really killer spot and anchore of the stern neer some shallow water(If you anchore of the stern then you have much less chance of lines snagging the boat and people and the shallow water will flaten out any swell) , next -give the rider the bar and as he is walking out his lines pump -up the kite in the boat. If you did everything wright the worst you will have to do is spin the bar once or twice to the right or left. The rest you know what to do. Just picture the boat as an anchored peace of land.

Buy the way you only have to attach the lines once to each kite if you have a bar for each kite. And if you do have bars try leaveing them on, its much easyer a faster. Its kind like takeing you car wheel off when you get home you don't have to.

I hope this helps

Ty luckett
http://www.kiterite.com
Attachments
Boat-Launch[1].jpg
Boat-Launch[1].jpg (162.22 KiB) Viewed 1535 times

Return to “Kitesurfing”