Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Beginners in Cabarete

Forum for kitesurfers
Jnonny
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: RRD, Epic, WindBone Kiteboarding, The KiteBuddy Self Launching/Landing Aid
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Beginners in Cabarete

Postby Jnonny » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:33 pm

I'm new to kiteboarding and was wondering if anyone has any experience as a beginner taking lessons in Cabarete.. I've heard that it can get pretty crowded on Kite Beach, making learning a challenge.. I'm heading down to Cabarete in April for some lessons.. I took some lessons last summer and was just at the "up on the board" point where I managed to stay up for only a few "swoops" of the kite.. I'm just hoping to be able to get up and going on my own while down in Cabrete with some lessons and kite/board time ..and was wondering if anyone had some success as a beginner in Cabarete..

KiteMyAssOff
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby KiteMyAssOff » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:14 am

Update your profile with your location, there is better place to learn, like Cape Hatteras in NC. Miles and mile of water that is waist deep and great wind.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:54 am

You will definately learn how to kite in a flat water environment such as Hatteras, NC., Long Beach Island, NJ., South Padre Island, TX. or the Florida Keys. All of these have flat shallow water, jet ski assist, and an evironment made to get you up and riding fast.

Cabarete is a great place to ride and lessons are ok but without the jetski support and shallow water, it may take you 2 to 3 times longer to get the same benefit.

Where do you live?

tplowe56
Frequent Poster

Postby tplowe56 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:11 am

I've kited Cabaret and SPI, both as a beginner. I would recommend SPI or Hatteras over Cabarete any day for beginners. You will learn much faster in flat, shallow water. Kite Beach at Cabarete can be very crowded also.

If you want night life and scenery, Cabarete rocks.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:27 am

there is nothing better to learn than on dead flat water and shallow areas.

You just let the board ride and can concentrate on the kite. Much easier!

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:06 pm

Hi
I am recently back from Cabarete. I would have described myself as a long term novice and was determined to progress. I chose Kite Excite for a couple of lessons as they use radios. Like you I was getting up and away from the shore ok and needed some tuition whilst out on the water. The radio link was a great help and allowed me to progress well beyond my sticking point.
Yes, it can be very busy on Kite beach. I had one kite hit me on the head and another time one wrapped around my lines. I also got in a tangle with another kiter 20yds offshore when both our kites had ditched in the water.

During my first lesson, I was body dragging out from the shore, the water was very rough, making it difficult to get my board on and get going. During the first 15 mins I would have happily ebay'd the lot and found the nearest bar!
Then with 'Richards' help and encouragement on the radio, I got up and going.
You tend to find that beginners/novices go down wind at an alarming rate there. Rather than have lessons once you are going, it may be better to take supervision - where a guy will launch and land you and walk down wind with you to help recover your kite.
Eventually I was able to keep my ground, just by spending time on the water and finally realising just how much wind and kite size I needed to stay upwind. I then did move to Bozo beach as it was less crowded.

There are less crowded places and flatter water locations, but if you are determined enough, there's no reason you won't crack it in Cabarete.

Good luck.

Kev

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:16 pm

the radio is a great tool for sure!

Jnonny
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: RRD, Epic, WindBone Kiteboarding, The KiteBuddy Self Launching/Landing Aid

Postby Jnonny » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:45 pm

Thanks for all the feedback.. sounds like Cape Hatteras would work out pretty well for learning.. I'll keep that in mind if I need some more help/lessons after Cabarete.. I'm in NJ so it would basically be a road trip for me..

Basically was looking to mix in a bit of vacation with the kiteboarding, and the Caribbean and Cabarete's focus on Kiteboarding is what attracted me there.. hopefully it wont be too crazy crowded on Kite Beach (I believe April is when the low seasons starts) ..and I'll be able to progress and get going on my own..

Megabear
Frequent Poster

Postby Megabear » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:40 pm

low season starts in may - easter is gonna be packed they say here...

tplowe56
Frequent Poster

Postby tplowe56 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:33 am

I hope I didn't discourage you on Cabarete. It is a fabulous, exciting town. Check in with Iquana Mama for some cool guided adventures. They are great. If you can do the 27 falls of the Damajagua River (cascading), that is a great adventure, one of the coolest hikes I've ever done.

http://www.iguanamama.com/index.php

http://www.iguanamama.com/cascading27.html

Return to “Kitesurfing”