Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

how can we ride 40-50 mph in only 20-25 mph of wind?

Forum for kitesurfers
kitesurferbum
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

how can we ride 40-50 mph in only 20-25 mph of wind?

Postby kitesurferbum » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:36 am

im just tryin to grasp the concept that we use the wind to travel but yet we can go faster then it at the same time, how is this possible? cool shit though....latas...add comments pleez

ImagineParadise
Medium Poster

Postby ImagineParadise » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:43 am

:thumb:
Attachments
MISC22.gif
MISC22.gif (2.93 KiB) Viewed 18368 times

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:34 am

Imagine squirting a watermellon seed from between your thumb and forefinger. Becuase of the narrow angle of the seed it will shoot out at a much faster speed than the speed at which your fingers come together. This is basically the same principle that allows us to travel faster than the wind that is propelling us.

If we consider a windsurfer, we have two wings. One is the sail and the other is the fin. The wind and the water passing over these wings act as the fingers that squeeze the watermellon seed.

Here's the REALLY crazy part (and yes I'm prepared for full flamage). It's actually possible to construct a wind powered vehicle that goes DIRECTLY downwind, faster than the wind, powered only by the wind. I know there are plenty of people that will claim this breaks every law of physics, but I assure you it doesn't. I have far too much respect for the laws of physics to go around breaking them like that.

Klaus (c:E
Very Frequent Poster
Style: lousy
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Klaus (c:E » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:01 am

Hai,

keywords are: apparent wind, wind window and L/D ratio.
In the picture it´s shown for low wind speeds where You might ride faster than the windspeed but still gain hight. Really going fast is the same on a room course.

Translations:
Wind -> wind
Fahrt -> fair wind
Scheinbarer Wind -> apparent wind

Sea You: Klaus (c:E
Attachments
Windfenster_schwachwind.png
Windfenster_schwachwind.png (21.05 KiB) Viewed 18311 times

bob10
Frequent Poster

Postby bob10 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:42 am

as you start to get faster the apparent wind picks up
(apparent wind is wot u feel in a car ie:u are moving creates wind)
as you go along this casuse the wind to increase and gives the ipression that u start going upwind mroe cos the wind is coming in front of you.

ill shut up now. im half asleep

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:55 am

G'day,

3 years ago when I was still windsurfing, I stood at the waters edge with an anemometer and measured 15 knots steady. I took off and when I was up to speed, pulled the anemometer out again and measured 27 knot peaks with the average of 23 knots. I don't know what board speed over the ground I had but it was amazing to get readings like that. Good old apparent wind.

Seeya,

Robert.

ImagineParadise
Medium Poster

Postby ImagineParadise » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:19 pm

wind going over your sail will increase its velocity but only for the second or two when it passes over your sail. the air moves faster at that point alone because its trying to catch up to the wind on the other side of the sail. Your not going 25kts or whatever. its called air pressure. As you move, your sail creates a slight vaccuum making the air around one side go faster than the other. just like a wing on an airplane. you might go a little faster than the measured wind on the shore but your not going as fast as your anemometer says the wind around you is going. :bye:

anyone want to contridict this is more than welcome.

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:36 pm

ImagineParadise wrote:wind going over your sail will increase its velocity but only for the second or two when it passes over your sail.
True, but this isn't the apparent or relative wind people are talking about. The apparent wind is faster than the "true" wind even when it's nowhere close to you or your sail. It's simply the vector sum of the "true" wind and your velocity.
ImagineParadise wrote: the air moves faster at that point alone because its trying to catch up to the wind on the other side of the sail..
This is a very common misconception. The wind over a wing in a high lift configuration doesn't merely "catch up" to the wind under the wing. It reaches the trailing edge much sooner.

ryansurf1
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ryansurf1 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:38 pm

imagineparadise....i don't think i know what i am talking about, but i know you don't know what you are talking about.

kiters can travel well in excess of the actual wind speed....kiters on ice can travel at speeds multiples of the wind speed.

Tinman
Frequent Poster

Postby Tinman » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:42 pm

Klaus (c:E wrote:Hai,

keywords are: apparent wind, wind window and L/D ratio.
In the picture it´s shown for low wind speeds where You might ride faster than the windspeed but still gain hight. Really going fast is the same on a room course.

Translations:
Wind -> wind
Fahrt -> fair wind
Scheinbarer Wind -> apparent wind

Sea You: Klaus (c:E
Klaus I'm not sure I would call a "Fahrt" fair wind...... more like bad wind.

But I can see by your diagram that it does add to your velocity when used in the direction of travel!

:lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”