Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

where do you buy epoxy without having to sell a kidney?

Forum for kitesurfers
kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

where do you buy epoxy without having to sell a kidney?

Postby kitejumping » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:02 am

Anyone know where to find epoxy on the cheap?
Making 3 baltic birch (from a 7 ply 3/8â€

danglerdog
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby danglerdog » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:18 am

fiberglass resin. one quarter the cost of epoxy. from most hardware or body shops. u gonna use glass? or just coat it?

RPatrick
Medium Poster

Postby RPatrick » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:25 am

I bit the bullet and used epoxy on mine.

Regardless, be careful about breathing the fumes. Kiteboards offer a lot of surface area and I was pretty dizzy after my epoxy job. Using a respirator with a cartridge for fumes is not out of the question.

kitejumping
Medium Poster

Postby kitejumping » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:00 am

I’ll probably just coat it... there are no big waves where I ride so hopefully it won’t snap right away...

PiaKite
Frequent Poster

Postby PiaKite » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:19 am

You don't need to use epoxy to seal a plywood board. For about $10 you can buy a quart of Minwax Spar varnish. Three coats of the varnish will work just fine. The can has enough varnish to do at least 5 large (5 ft by 18 inch by half inch) plywood boards.

I used Q Tips to varnish the holes for straps and fins. No leaks so far.

IwannabeaKITER
Medium Poster

Postby IwannabeaKITER » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:31 am

if ya wanna be on the safe side like me, use about 4 or 5 layers of varnish designed for outside patio decks, and coat the rails good too. put a layer of polyurethane over that later. polyurethane is really strong. and, maybe put a layer of white spray paint on each side before the polyurethane for looks and extra protection.

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:41 am

uscomposites.com

reasonable epoxy $

the automotive shit offgasses so quickly and is so volatile it really should only be done outside WITh a respirator for the handyman without a proper ventilation set-up, but their right, ply boards dont need resin, varnish is fine, Ive used polyester (the car stuff ) on wood boards to imprenate cloth for graphics.

schmoe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby schmoe » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:15 am

I used spar varnish. The finish is good, but its very toxic to work with and the board is sensitive to dings. Once in a while you have to take a look at the board and put move varnish on the scratches.

To coat I would go with a thin epoxy. The automotive stuff is normally polyester.

If you buy polyurethane varnish for floors make sure its for external use and have UV protection.

Last time I got lazy and bought a can of Marin Spar Varnish spray. Relatively expensive and not enough for even one board, but for a quick fix it saves a lot of time.

kitejumping
Medium Poster

Postby kitejumping » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:30 am

think ill just bite the bullet and go with EPOX-635413 A gallon should be enough for a few coats on 3 kiteboards.

Halomon
Frequent Poster

Postby Halomon » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:03 am

I've built several foam-fiberglass kiteboards and have worked with surfboard resin [polyester] quite a lot. It is cheaper and way more toxic than epoxy. But I hear epoxy is way stronger and I know for a fact it is less toxic than polyester. I recently built a foam mutant type board and glassed it with epoxy and I really liked working with the stuff. You have way more working time when laminating the cloth as compared to polyester and it was way less fumey[toxic]. As far as using it on plywood boards the benefit would be to strengthen the board. If you built your magic board and you wanted it to last and be strong and ding proof, glass it with 4oz cloth and epoxy resin surfboard style[lamination, hot coat, gloss] and your board will be bombproof. But make sure you or one of your building partners are familiar with the glassing process cause it's really easy to blow the whole process; and fiberglass and epoxy resin along with acetone for cleanup all add up to some bucks. If strength and longevity are not an issue, just coat the board with varnish or surfboard resin. If you decide to use epoxy, use the 2-1 ratio mixture; works great!!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”