Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Get rich idea for the guy that can make a real pump.

Forum for kitesurfers
dwarfsurfer
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Get rich idea for the guy that can make a real pump.

Postby dwarfsurfer » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:41 pm

Kites in the industry have came a long way since the flying trash bags of yesterday. Safety is so much more advanced today then when I started. Everything seems to be doing well except one thing. Someone tell the guys making the pumps that they are fired. Almost every kite that I have ever bought and every after market pump can not hold up in the heat, stress, or wear and tear for more than a few months at best. Handles break, the pump itselt comes apart, it stops working on the way up and down....... heck even the lame hose cracks or tears.

At the beach this week it happend again. I should know to bring more pumps than kites by now. Will someone in the industry start to make a pump that is well worth the money. I hate the current versions on the market. I would gladly pay a high price for a real set up that can work for more than a few months.

I am not an engineer but you would think a high school team could put out better systems than what is currently available. Can anyone reccomend a real pump or better yet design one that works. What a void in the industry today. Try making them out of steel or something with real threads and beefy systems that you can count on. :bye:

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:53 pm

be nice to your pump and your pump will be nice to you! :bye:

Jaco
Frequent Poster
Style: Waves
Gear: Naish

Postby Jaco » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:00 pm

funny you post this cause i jsut finished a serious cleaning of my pump like an hour ago. the difference was increadible...i just cleaned out all the old junk...sprayed in some silicon and bam! works like a charm.

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:02 pm

Exactly!! ...Also don't pump with one hand!

Also look after the kite too!
Jaco wrote:funny you post this cause i jsut finished a serious cleaning of my pump like an hour ago. the difference was increadible...i just cleaned out all the old junk...sprayed in some silicon and bam! works like a charm.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:03 pm

i'm with you

except for the metal shaft,

the pump design is still the $7 pump you could buy at walmart for years

there are some really expensive pumps $180 or so for rafting

seems like there is room for some middle ground to me :)

also, if you look at the smaller struts/LE they are requiring more and more pressure

time for someone to step up with a smaller diameter taller pump with some better valves and a heavier hose and hose clamp fittings and a gauge you can zero out.

David

abowman
Medium Poster

Postby abowman » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:08 pm

The $7 pump from walmart works pretty well... and is only $7 when it breaks.

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:19 pm

I guess with the small diameter lei Best kites the force needed to achieve good struts is relatively high? I guess if a slight change to a taller, slightly narrower pump came about it might suit them better. ... just as long as the volume was the same. Problem is a slightly smaller diameter might need a fair bit of extra length to compensate volume wise?

But for now I'm getting by okay....fingers crossed!! :thumb:

Beachbum1236
Frequent Poster
Style: All around.
Gear: 13m 2008 Slingshot Fuel, 2008 9m Slingshot Fuel, 2006 Slingshot 17 fuel, 2010 132 Len10 Lunacy, Custom bar configuration.
Brand Affiliation: Exuma Kitesurfing, Slingshot.

Postby Beachbum1236 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:48 pm

This is why they invented, super glue *for the problems when on of the one way vaulves inside the pump breaks*, WD40 *to grease the pumps shaft* :lol: , Electical tape *to fix the holes in the pipe*,
And a little tip for peope who have leaky bladders *go to the hardware store and buy some small wire ties, then, put them on so when you push the vaulve in, there is some tension so it wont leak or come out*

heh. :bye:

astx
Frequent Poster

Postby astx » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:00 pm

the best way to make your pump last longer is to borrow one from a friend :D

Pixandco
Rare Poster

Postby Pixandco » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:56 pm