Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Get rich idea for the guy that can make a real pump.

Forum for kitesurfers
schmoe
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby schmoe » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:19 pm

At least you can borrow someone else's pump on the beach. Think about the pump as a disposable item, it's a low cost part that does not last long. You can also extend its life by maintenance, but at $7 a pop this is less than the gas to get to the beach.

theflyingtinman
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Get rich idea for the guy that can make a real pump.

Postby theflyingtinman » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:46 pm

Since I don't fly inflatable kites at the moment I have no motivation to
try this out but apparently once you've mastered the slightly unusual
technique it pumps up inflatable rafts faster than other hand or foot pump
on the market, is virtually indestructable if use properly and collapses
down to a very small package.
I don't see why it wouldn't work for kites.

http://www.alpackaraft.com/Site/Items.cfm?ItemID=11

Steve T

dwarfsurfer
Rare Poster

Postby dwarfsurfer » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:17 pm

All I want is a real pump- the current ones are lame plain and simple- screw WalMart and the pumps they are selling. You would think some one would see a real chance to market a LEADING pump instead of all the followers on the market now. Ones with lifetime warrantees that are solutions to the problem not band-aids for issues like leaking hoses, broken handles, weak threads that the entire pump comes apart.....- I am a consumer that personally thinks if they sell a real pump made like the space shuttle then this would be a huge step forward and they could sell a high quality one to those of us that have better things to do like get out and kite - not do preventative maintence on a 7 dollare pump getting all greasy and full of duct tape in the process......This is a opportunity for someone in the industry to step up- I know guys would buy these..... :wink:

schmoe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby schmoe » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:37 am

Cabrinha is going to have a new pump next year. It’s a one way pump, only pushes air on the downstroke. Sounds like a good idea for saving the back.

@ theflyingtinman, how does this inflation bag works? Are you flying foils now?

Beachbum1236
Frequent Poster
Style: All around.
Gear: 13m 2008 Slingshot Fuel, 2008 9m Slingshot Fuel, 2006 Slingshot 17 fuel, 2010 132 Len10 Lunacy, Custom bar configuration.
Brand Affiliation: Exuma Kitesurfing, Slingshot.

Postby Beachbum1236 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:24 am

Cabrinha is going to have a new pump next year. It’s a one way pump, only pushes air on the downstroke. Sounds like a good idea for saving the back.
Why Wait When you can just open up a regular ones, and take on of the one way vaulves out and have it only push air out on the down stroke?

OH, yea, and to help from getting a bunch of sand into the pump, which in turn gets in the bladders, I would suggest putting, either, putting screening material on the intake, or you can, cut up an old rag or cloth or something of the sort, and wiretie it to the intake so no sand or, Considerably LESS sand gets into the pump..
All I want is a real pump- the current ones are lame plain and simple- screw WalMart and the pumps they are selling. You would think some one would see a real chance to market a LEADING pump instead of all the followers on the market now. Ones with lifetime warrantees that are solutions to the problem not band-aids for issues like leaking hoses, broken handles, weak threads that the entire pump comes apart.....- I am a consumer that personally thinks if they sell a real pump made like the space shuttle then this would be a huge step forward and they could sell a high quality one to those of us that have better things to do like get out and kite - not do preventative maintence on a 7 dollare pump getting all greasy and full of duct tape in the process......This is a opportunity for someone in the industry to step up- I know guys would buy these.....

If they made Pumps Like the space shuttle, they would costa around what, 200$ per inch of hose? heh. and it's not like all the leading distrubutors, are going to put 800$ into R&D for just a pump,
Look at it this way, You could either have the pumps we have now, OR we could have those stupid little hand pumps they have millions of years ago.
but, I wouldn't not like to complain that they should make the pumps a little taller for peeps of 6'2" :D (now that would save my back). a few inches could do a lot...
:thumb: :bye:
Last edited by Beachbum1236 on Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

theflyingtinman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby theflyingtinman » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:30 am

schmoe wrote: ... theflyingtinman, how does this inflation bag works? Are you flying foils now?
I don't know how it works. Someone I know who does whitewater kayaking
has one for his smaller inflatables (still probably a lot more volume than a
kite) and says it's way faster than the footpump. Everytime I've been on the
river with him it was on his 6-man raft and we used an electric pump hooked
up to the car so I've never seen the bag-pump in use.

I fly PL Venoms so no pumping for me. ;)

Steve T.

RPatrick
Medium Poster

Postby RPatrick » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:51 am

nm
Last edited by RPatrick on Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

RPatrick
Medium Poster

Postby RPatrick » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:52 am

schmoe wrote:Sounds like a good idea for saving the back.
I was wondering if I was the only person that thought about this. Everyone should know lots of back injuries come from picking up something from a stooped over position. The pumping position puts you in that very vulnerable stance, and pumping air on the upstroke can easily strain the lower back muscles.

I guess getting that bladder full 1 minute faster is worth a couple of weeks worth of aches and pains.

seastack1
Medium Poster

Postby seastack1 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:04 am

Christ, another anxiety attack........slingy pump. bury the base in sand, tilt slightly away, knees hold in place, pump with straight back while you watch your friends rock n roll. No back strain, no brainer! Had mine 2 years, cleaned it once. Nothing good lasts forever....

randal
Medium Poster

Postby randal » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:53 pm

http://www.blackburndesign.com/floor_pu ... tower_5_cf

Someone needs to license this technology. Its a big high volume pump with a smaller high pressure pump built into the shaft. Once you hit a certain psi, a button pops up allowing you to switch it to high pressure mode. This would be key with small bows as its hard to get a tiny strut pumped up with a big pump.

I agree with most of the other posts though, why can't someone make an all metal pump with replaceable seals, valves and other parts. It would save me from having to travel with a half dozen pumps.

I'd be more than willing to pay $100 for one of these pumps. and realistically they shouldn't be that expensive to make.

Return to “Kitesurfing”