Forum for kitesurfers
DirtyDish
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Leading Edge Seam on the Waroo???

Postby DirtyDish » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:47 pm

I was at my local spot the other day and finally got a chance to see the Waroo. Unfortunately the fellow just blew out his leading edge on a launch. He said that this was the second time. The seam just blew right out, about two feet in length.

I looked at it and saw that the LE was actually two pieces of material sewn together to make the leading edge. There was obviously not enough fabric to hold the LE together and the sewing was straight rather than zig-zag. Is this a common experience happening to the Waroos?

I own three Yargas and the LE is one unit around with extra fabric and a zig-zag sewing job. It doesn't allow the seem to pop out under the load of the bladder.

I bring this up to ask if it is a real problem or is it a design flaw that is going to be fixed.

I am near a possible purchase and would like to know if it is really a problem at all.

A great kite should be just that and as a community we can help find the little things that help with improvement. Thanks for the input.

chip.

uncleneil
Frequent Poster

Postby uncleneil » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:25 pm

Dirty Dish, 10 - 15 Waroos in my area and I have never seen or heard of this happening. Did the guy call Best 1st before you started calling for bad quality on this forum? I doubt it. The Waroo has the same LE seam as the SS Fuels that I have seen. Even they blow out once in a while but nobody is here stateing a design flaw.

Just the other day while demoing the NEW North Rebel, it hit the water softly and blew the LE at a seam. Workmanship? Design flaw? Bad stitch? I doubt any of the 3 but just a freak thing that can happen to any kite.

Is the kite still under warrantee? If so then no reason to be here, huh? Have him call Best and get the replacement, then go have fun.

Phillipp
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Phillipp » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:58 pm

uncleneil wrote:Dirty Dish, 10 - 15 Waroos in my area and I have never seen or heard of this happening. Did the guy call Best 1st before you started calling for bad quality on this forum? I doubt it. The Waroo has the same LE seam as the SS Fuels that I have seen. Even they blow out once in a while but nobody is here stateing a design flaw.

Just the other day while demoing the NEW North Rebel, it hit the water softly and blew the LE at a seam. Workmanship? Design flaw? Bad stitch? I doubt any of the 3 but just a freak thing that can happen to any kite.

Is the kite still under warrantee? If so then no reason to be here, huh? Have him call Best and get the replacement, then go have fun.
Uncleneil, I fully agree with you. One should always go to the shop/manufacturer first before posting on the forum, but the thing is you can't really win here.

I had a stitching defect on my new kites. I contacted the manufacturer directly and got everything sorted. But then certain forum members who love a little online bash complained that I didn't make it public (or a public bashing feast).

In summary, no matter how you do it there will be someone complaining.

P

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:07 pm

I was tempted to mention the very same thing!! :brainshit:

si-fly2
Medium Poster

Postby si-fly2 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:18 pm

Come on guy's if this guy has concerns over a new kite purchase do you really think Best is going to say the kite has a problem seam...did they say the Helfish exploded ?? I think not!

If this is a one off it will soon be clear. I thought the forum was for advice?

Si

ps...I had best Yarga's & BFK no problems with either.

(*)(*)
Rare Poster

Postby (*)(*) » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:03 pm

Phillipp wrote: Uncleneil, I fully agree with you. One should always go to the shop/manufacturer first before posting on the forum, but the thing is you can't really win here.

I had a stitching defect on my new kites. I contacted the manufacturer directly and got everything sorted. But then certain forum members who love a little online bash complained that I didn't make it public (or a public bashing feast).

In summary, no matter how you do it there will be someone complaining.

P

I call "bullshit" on mr. CabDriver.

We already know you have no problem giving glowing reviews of boards and kites you have never ridden,,,

you never planned to make your patches public

So ...

...when were you planning to mention the Underground board that broke on you in Brazil even before the kites failed?

you already know the manufacturers answer on that one ...
Known it for weeks ....

so tell ....

still waiting .....

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:24 pm

dirty dish the seam on the yarga is exactly the same, it's just hidden up behind the canopy...

for 07 all the new kites including the yarga have the new load-flex seam, fully tape wrapped and seriously overbuilt

DirtyDish
Medium Poster

Postby DirtyDish » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:39 pm

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa. I am not bashing or anything of the sort. I was going to post on the Best forum but thought that I would get a more general consensus from this forum. The idea is to get a broader input. Jeez, people chill! It amazes me on how some react to the word 'Best.'

I own Yargas and am happy with the design quality and performance of the kite, my observation was that the seam on the Waroo was different and this difference seemed to maybe due to this weak seam. Compared to the Yargas LE I do not see any seams for this to be happening. In that, I brought it up here.

Yes, the manufacturer replaced his first, who knows on the second, probably, but if I am going to put down the cash I want to hear from others about potential problems that people have not brought up yet.

Due to my experience with kites from the same manufacturer I saw a difference in the construction and wanted to know more.

And if anything, due to the load pressure on the leading edge isn't it just a good idea to have as little seam as possible or that the seam is sewn most solidly? That is all I meant when referring to "flaw."

It may be that you have to have this seam in order for the edge to 'bow' in the correct manner. But from what I saw, if there has to be a seam, it could be stronger.

So now, can you get out of my @ss?

Kitedude
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kitedude » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:42 pm

i was about to warn you to be prepared to be bullied

DirtyDish
Medium Poster

Postby DirtyDish » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:45 pm

Thank you SQ. I thought I would hear from you or Alex on this.

That is what I wanted to hear.

You guys seem to stay on top of things like that.

I see this forum as a way to get feedback from the community. It helps you guys in the end. Unfortunately people may take words out of context an twist it up but in no way did I mean to dis' Best.

It is the @$rons on this forum that like to blow everything out of proportion.

P.S. The hidden seam on the Yarga is still better than a naked one.

Return to “Kitesurfing”