Forum for kitesurfers
Maxkiter
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Biggest Air/Hangtime

Postby Maxkiter » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:09 am

Just wondering everyones opinion on what will get the biggest air or hangtime a C-Kite or a Bow kite????? Maybe even anyone's opinion on which Specific kite have given them the biggest air or hangtime.

Maybe some theory on which style of kite should be able to get the biggest air.

I have been riding C-kite for the last three years...and just recently got my first Bow to mess around with...so I am not looking to bash one kite over the other......seee yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Peace

Rick

mobettah
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: FB
Favorite Beaches: Cape Haterras
Style: Go Big!
Gear: Naish Boxer II's - C kites baby!

Postby mobettah » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:54 am

Interesting that in the men's PKRA event at Germany 1-2 were C kites (Torches)....

Me, I'm a beginner looking to do that first boost before the summer is out! :lol:

Camo
Rare Poster

Postby Camo » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:04 am

I just got a North Rebel. I am not sure that it has greater lift but it definately hangs up there longer, feels sort of floaty when you come down. The Rebel may or may not be considered a bow but it is a lot flatter shape than any other kite that I have owned.

Cheers.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:43 am

The biggest airs and hang-time are happening on the snow. I have seen minute plus airs on foils and c-kites. Bows and SLE's should work great as well, I just haven't seen the pros go big on them yet.

The Right Stuff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: kites and boards

Postby The Right Stuff » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:00 pm

mobettah wrote: Me, I'm a beginner looking to do that first boost before the summer is out! :lol:
So do it!

The first one doesn't have to be pretty. Go left, keep going in a straight line, pull with your right hand. Do a couple pulls slowly, if you wish, then pull hard and leave the Earth. It's unavoidable, really, and feels great. Once you're up there, pull down on the left hand. Smile, and repeat in the other direction.

hooked
Rare Poster

Postby hooked » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:22 pm

"The biggest airs and hang-time are happening on the snow. I have seen minute plus airs on foils and c-kites. "

If we kitesurfed off waterfalls it might be comparable the hang time on snow comes from taking advantage of the down hill slope for long glides.

Rich Lowe
Medium Poster

Postby Rich Lowe » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:32 pm

first kitesurf air feels awesome , just do it! 8) so easy to go high on water! but you cant tell how high you are at first on water because it all looks the same. whereas on land you can tell roughly how high you are. hehe

Maxkiter
Medium Poster

Postby Maxkiter » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:56 pm

Still would like to hear from guys who have experience on both Bows (SLE) and C-kites and there method for bootsing and which kite has given them the biggest Air.

As far as me.....the biggest air I have ever gotten still has been on my 9m Yarga!!!! Thanks.....

Rick

windyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windyboy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:28 pm

The highest jumps I have gotten is with my 2004 Nitro 7.5 in 30-33 knots and 8 foot swell which I have used as kickers. I think I jumped a good 10-10-15 feet. The floatest jumps ever was on my Torch 16m in 20-22 knots. All these jumps were with my small board 121x36 Drive. I would say to get the biggest air I would use a very high aspect ratio kite like my 12m F-one M3 which is very good for boosting and lots of wind on the high end of the kite totally depowered and a tiny board. :thumb:

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:49 pm

If we kitesurfed off waterfalls it might be comparable the hang time on snow comes from taking advantage of the down hill slope for long glides.
It is not just the downhill slope that makes the hang-time so long on the snow. It is also the updraft effect that you have on a slope as well.

There is a dismissive attitude among some water-only kiteboarders concerning the huge airs on the snow. If you could kiteboard off a waterfall and manage to travel back up and do it over and over again in a controlled fashion, wouldn't you want to do it? :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”