Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What is the Fastest turning BIG (16m+) BOW/SLE/C Kite???

Forum for kitesurfers
sjdavies
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What is the Fastest turning BIG (16m+) BOW/SLE/C Kite???

Postby sjdavies » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:56 am

My biggest kite right now is a 12m Crossbow which I like but would like to get a bigger kite to jump a little better in lower winds as I need to be quite powered to get the jumps I like to do with the crossbow. Also alot of work to stay of wind when in the lulls.

I tried the 17m Contra Crossbow which had alot of pull in light winds but I found it turned to slowly. Would I like the 14m Contra Bow??

Is there any kite 16m+ or maybe 14m+ BOW/SLE/or C that would turn at least as fast as the 12 Crossbow but have quite a bit more power for the lighter stuff. Or is this just too much to ask and I should just ride my surfboard instead.

Kurt
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: 08' 10m HP
09' 12m HP
'07 17m Waroo Pro
'10 17m Ozone Zephyr
135x42 Custom board

Postby Kurt » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:18 am

Have you tried the 14 waroo?

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Re: What is the Fastest turning BIG (16m+) BOW/SLE/C Kite???

Postby bigwave » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:45 am

sjdavies wrote:My biggest kite right now is a 12m Crossbow which I like but would like to get a bigger kite to jump a little better in lower winds as I need to be quite powered to get the jumps I like to do with the crossbow. Also alot of work to stay of wind when in the lulls.

I tried the 17m Contra Crossbow which had alot of pull in light winds but I found it turned to slowly. Would I like the 14m Contra Bow??

Is there any kite 16m+ or maybe 14m+ BOW/SLE/or C that would turn at least as fast as the 12 Crossbow but have quite a bit more power for the lighter stuff. Or is this just too much to ask and I should just ride my surfboard instead.
I would be suprised if you found a big kite that turned like your Xbow.I don't its possible from a design point of view.I found the 17 contra to actually turn quite fast for its size.Key being for its size.What you should look for is a fast flying kite,that works well with apparent wind.The Cabrinha Contra is the best lightwind bow I have tried.I'm told the Flysurfer Speed 17 is the lightwind machine.
Ride the surf board in the really light stuff,its way too much fun!

:thumb:

Dan Glyaire
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan Glyaire » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:06 am

sjdavies wrote: Is there any kite 16m+ or maybe 14m+ BOW/SLE/or C that would turn at least as fast as the 12 Crossbow but have quite a bit more power for the lighter stuff. Or is this just too much to ask and I should just ride my surfboard instead.
just ride the surfboard. :thumb:

joeyb
Medium Poster

Postby joeyb » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:10 am

My personal experience is limited.. but maybe it will help.

I own a Caution 16, very very fast turning, but doesn't have the grunt of some of more BOW like kites. I often choose to fly it under powered just because its so damn fun to fly.

I demod a Rebel 16, really liked it. Close but not as fast turning as the caution however it had substantially more BOW like low end power. I am actual considering buying one, but I still want to keep my caution..

Not sure what to do, they are both awesome kites (in my opinion)

PS. Hopefully this thread won't end up in another "my brand is better than your brand fight... "

R Soul
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Str8 From The Horses Mouth... Ravens and Shinns... Love 'em.

Postby R Soul » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:24 am

Dan Glyaire wrote:
sjdavies wrote: Is there any kite 16m+ or maybe 14m+ BOW/SLE/or C that would turn at least as fast as the 12 Crossbow but have quite a bit more power for the lighter stuff. Or is this just too much to ask and I should just ride my surfboard instead.
just ride the surfboard. :thumb:
Or one of the new super-wide Nobile EXT's, these are unbelivable, and would really increase your range on your 12 bow.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:26 am

a second board for lighter wind can also help.
Ask yourself if you want to rather fly the same kite or rather the same board?

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge 7, 10, 13, 17.
Best Kiteboarding RP 52cm Bar, 22m lines.
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.

Postby fat blokes can fly » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:51 pm

Although I ride just the 14m waroo as i am 102kg I have recently flown the 16m waroo and also met quite a few people who swear by the 16 waroo.
Best thing to do is just try one.

magug
Rare Poster

Postby magug » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:15 pm

try liquid force assault 16m or even 19m. cool stuff.

http://www.liquidforcekites.com
http://www.liquidforcekites.com/07

Sea&Sun
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sea&Sun » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:32 pm

Almost all the flat riders around here think little of any of the 16m flatties. They are all slow at that size. The shape of the kites just doesn't work well at 16m. I tried different brands and all seem to really slow up and not really have much more low end then the 12m or 14m of the same brand.

Return to “Kitesurfing”