Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Question for Dereck and Hein - Board design

Forum for kitesurfers
tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Question for Dereck and Hein - Board design

Postby tomtom » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:21 pm

Hello first i realy want to thanks both you for great influence to my own boards - and also for real inovative aproach to board design. Especialy by Hein. But i really apreciate Dereck "arty and feel" aproach too.

i make boards just for myself for fun and also because they are imo better than production ones - if anything i like them more :).

Here is my problem - recently i have big problem with my right knee /artro surgery :(.

So i need board which is very light to back leg - idealy 50/50 - back/front

While this isnt big problem with small area medium rocker high wind board - for me it is real challenge as efficient flat rocker light wind board. /something like hein flywood - ss glide or spleene session/

Just for clarification chop bumping isnt problem - but constant loading back foot by edging upwind is.

So in your opinion it is some way to make something like:

140x40-45
flat rocker
twintip
ultralight wind machine

BUT

not heavy on back foot?

Some my ideas
IMO key is move board centre of efford /where most water is pushed/- more forward - i mean changing pressure condition under board.
Maybe by changing place where water will be relased - by rail shape or bottom shape.
I even thinking about all good swallow tail.

More flex on tail is just cheating - there must be some fundamental solution which will be work on rigid platform too.

But it is out of my league - This is why i asking you.

Only production board which ride like this is Ocean rodeo mako - but it is definitely not light wind board. And also other than this feature i dindt like it

I also think that every body will like this feature on every twintip - not just sickknees :)

Thank you very much and sorry for my bad english

Tom

ps
i make my board for riding - not for jumping - so drive in jibes, speed and acceleration are my goals

Thanks one more time

ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby ed257 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:49 pm

I have heard from several riders that the OR Mako rides upwind really well with a balanced stance - ie you don't have to load up the rear leg.

Also, suppossed to be very smooth and good in chop so it will be easy on your knee.

Maybe you can make a woodie version of it.

Ed

gdorfman
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby gdorfman » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:15 pm

skimboard or for even less pressure: strapless flat rockered smaller surfboard. huge difference from a TT. hein's swell pig would work well for this because it is pretty fast, and you don't edge at all--just ride the fins. if you aren't jumping you shouldn't use straps.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:46 am

shameless pimp for Dereck, my new surfboard

Hein made me a pretty sick twintip too!

David
Attachments
DSCF0831.JPG
DSCF0831.JPG (43.02 KiB) Viewed 1702 times

hein
Very Frequent Poster

Postby hein » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:50 pm

Last edited by hein on Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:48 pm

ed257 wrote:I have heard from several riders that the OR Mako rides upwind really well with a balanced stance - ie you don't have to load up the rear leg.

Also, suppossed to be very smooth and good in chop so it will be easy on your knee.

Maybe you can make a woodie version of it.

Ed
thanks but

I did it - but i as i wrote other than centered stance i didnt like this board and its is not light wind board

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:56 pm

hein wrote:5-1x18.5 Swell Pig:

-Hein
thank you very much

so no twintip yet or even possible?

or its this my answer? :)
Attachments
hein-tt.jpg
hein-tt.jpg (38.29 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
Last edited by tomtom on Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

gdorfman
Medium Poster

Postby gdorfman » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:02 pm

learn to switch your feet. twintips are by design a compromise. it is the directional nature of these boards that allows them to be ridden so balanced.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:03 am

The more board you have behind your hind leg the higher the pressure. Try stepping out of the straps of a big twintip and stand with your feet just behind them and you will see. I think a skim or directional is your best bet. If you have no straps you are less likely to get a twist. The second choice would be a mutant with the bad knee on the short side.

Jake

dereck
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: juno beach
Brand Affiliation: TONA

Postby dereck » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:26 am

hey guys,

Her is my take. Light wind boards is all about increasing pressure to get going at lower hull speeds. And unfortunately, for lighter winds this means flatter rockers if any at all... And with the flat rocker that also means that there will have to be more back foot pressure to keep the nose from digging in and to conter act the wide tail platform.. Knee problems can side line you and last a long time if you are not careful. What I would recommend, especially in light winds, is a surfbaord. No straps. (until you get some strength back in your knees) Generally the surfboards does not take a lot of back foot pressure because of the narural rocker and also it means that you can control how much pressure YOU put on your knee at all times. Great for recovery....if the pressure gets too much, you are not straped in so you can release it... very safe.. And you can also change the amount of pressure needed from your back foot to menuver the board by foot placement on the tail. Placing the foot back towards the tail will get more responce from less back foot pressure and placing your back foot forward will stabilize the board.

Sorry I can not recommend a twin tip for knee problems, but more and more I am wondering why more of us don't play around with a surfboard in light winds anyway.... Try it.... you will learn so much playng with a surfboard... I know it can be fustrating at first, but stick with it.... a surfboard gets you out on the water a wole lot more and teaches you so much from foot pressures and kite handling...

DC. :thumb:

This photo was taken off the back of a boat in the grenadines, (the Tabago keys to be exact and that is Sara, my buds girl, standing on the transom of the boat, yea, I know it looks like I photoshoped her in, but she was there.. ) :wink: when I was doing a lot of testing on surfboards about 2 years ago. This was in really light wind and you can see from this photo that I really have very little back foot pressure because my foot is towards the toe side rail...and away from the tail of the board. I can use feet position to control the trim angle on the board which is great for light wind and also great on the knees...... :thumb:
Attachments
sarasurfboard.jpg
sarasurfboard.jpg (116.65 KiB) Viewed 1435 times

Return to “Kitesurfing”