and for naish lovers

sle kite or torch3 for surfing?

Des Walsh
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Des Walsh » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:52 am

Check out the web site early next week. All the new board info should be up then.
As far as the kite goes, give them a try if you can. The Torch may be better for unhooked wave riding, the Boxer can do it all.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:53 am

I haven't tried the boards, but I am just as excited about them as you. Looking forward to check out the website next week.

I can tell you that I prefer the SLE in the waves. I do think the Shockwave is better (I haven't tried the SW2, but it will not be worse than the previous one). The boxer SLE 9 (I have this kite) will rule in the waves. I like the fact that you can choose weather youo want to use the power of the kite to help you drive harder turns or not. On C-kites, it is harder to ride waves for sure. I have no doubts that the 10 Torch 3 can be good as my torch III 14 meter has an insane range and it does follow you fairly well going down the line, but it also does need a little more attention while surfing than the boxer SLE.

Generally speaking, a fish would be very good in 'smaller' surf. I have a 5'8'' that has a little more hip than the Naish boards. Although I like the board, it sometimes is hard to ride really powered, especially in turns. It does depend a littl on you riding style, but I find the SS 5'4'' (I think it was) very interesting.

a.

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:27 pm

This is the only thing I found. Comparison from Naish between the thorn and the sol.

mickywoosh
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hayling
Style: wave
Gear: Airush, custom

Naish SS Custom Wave Boards

Postby mickywoosh » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:18 pm

I am told the 2007 waveboards are due to be delivered in the next few days in the UK.

Has anyone had any experience of the 5'10" thruster or 5'4" quad fin. Theres no real information on how specific boards perform beyond the blurb on the website which is pretty general.

I understand that the 5'4" is based on Robby Naishes tow in boards and it looks fantastic but being slightly smaller will it not be slightly less versatile.

Any comments appreciated.

gdorfman
Medium Poster

Postby gdorfman » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:24 pm

poor kiteforum, so out of the loop.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-2841.html

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:35 pm

The website was updated a while ago. It was announced here by Ben himself.

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Re: naish kite boards - need some info

Postby PAFF » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:49 pm

porkus wrote:
My friend use the BoXer SLE (The ShockWave is not here yet.) and i use the T3...

I you have very hard conditions use the SLE, else the T3 is the best, especially if you go unhookt..

The T3 is by far the best kite, but in very difficult situations it is easier on the Boxer SLE..

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: naish kite boards - need some info

Postby tautologies » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:38 pm

PAFF wrote:
porkus wrote:
My friend use the BoXer SLE (The ShockWave is not here yet.) and i use the T3...

I you have very hard conditions use the SLE, else the T3 is the best, especially if you go unhookt..

The T3 is by far the best kite, but in very difficult situations it is easier on the Boxer SLE..
It also does depend a little on your wave riding skills. It is harder to ride the Torch in the waves (I have not tried a smaller torch so that might exclude me from giving this advice), and the torch is better than my previous c kites for this, If you go for a c kite, it should be to be a 12 / 10 or smaller... Don't misunderstand me the torch is GREAT kite, but I still prefer the boxer or Shockwave in the waves...I am not unhooking in the waves though...I guess if you're planning to go unhooked, a c kite would be the better alternative...

a.

Reo Stevens
Medium Poster

Postby Reo Stevens » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:55 am

Aloha all, heres the scoop.

5'4" - Robbys board of choice. It's fast, easy plaining, smooth and thanks to all the fins, points really good going upwind. This fits Rob's style perfectly, the smaller size works for him because he loves kiting powered up. Its a board thats loves going fast and the more tail pressure you put on it the faster it projects.

5'10" - This would be my board of choice. I tend to ride a little more on the underpowered side and like more board speed. (I weigh 175lbs) The slightly flater rocker makes it an easy to ride board that anyone could have fun on, but a skilled rider could still put it staight up and blow the fins out. The pin tail also allows it to hold speed in bigger surf. I ride this board anywhere from head high to doubleovehead+.

5'5" Fish - This is the small wave all around fun board. Great for small surf and lightwind playing around. If your just getting into directionals, the width provides a stable platform for easy jibing. You definitly have to "surf" this board more as it doesnt easily go rail to rail. I've actually taken the front pad off and waxed it up for surfing. If your ambicous enough to paddle a 5'5" its pretty good fun.

Return to “Kitesurfing”