Forum for kitesurfers
droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

RRD Boards? Quality & Performance? Feedback appreciate

Postby droffats » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:08 pm

What has been your experience with RRD kiteboards? I've read what people have written about their kites, but I am curious about their boards. Any board any size. I am just trying to get an idea about the whole lineup in terms of quality (finish, durability, etc.) and performance (ride, pop, etc.).

Thanks!

NEkitesurfing
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby NEkitesurfing » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:22 pm

I had the chance to test the rrd 5X in 130*38 Ltd. a week. It's a good board for sure and if you know the older boards from rrd than you will feel at home immediately. It can do it all but it is not the hottest latest evolution model with the best production technology you can just buy from other companies. The shape and performance is average.

If you like the graphics than it is a very nice board with a nice finish. It has no carbon in it and not the progressive flex you may think because of the deckshape. It has not a concave bottom nor has it a nice rail shape like you can find on real custom boards like the rrd marketing wants to sell us. It has only an rectangular ABS rail. The fins are not G10 and for this reason not so durable.
The triple X from 2005 is still my favorite rrd board and I like the 5X more thant the 4X. Yes in my opinion the 5X is better than the 4X but not better than the older 3X.

If you compare the 5X with the new nobile 666 for eg. You have to pay less for more performance. The new 666 goes better upwind, planes earlier, has more pop, is faster, although it is very lively it ´s more comfy for your ankles, it is lighter and has a honeycomb/wood core with carbon kevlar reinforcements, the straps are easier to adjust, you have the flex tips Aaron is using in his boards as well but it rides a little different compared to older boards. If you want to replace a board that is 2 or 3 years old and don't want to get used to something new than the rrd 5X would be the better choice.

This year my favorite toy is the 666 126*38 but when rrd will launch the 6X in fall 2007 I will give it a try once again.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:49 pm

Still like my XX pretty well when it's powered, good shape (outline) and light but I like a little more flex and now prefer a concave. Have ridden XXX also; thought it was nice but did not get enough time on it to say more. RRD's have good durability and consruction but not for rock bashing stupidity -treat it like a surfboard and it will treat you well.

Return to “Kitesurfing”